Out of Kastrup

andy1252

with all these shots of the "Queen of the Skies" hitting the forum, I thought I'd dig out my JustFlight/CLC and give it an airing, so here we are waiting to depart from CPH,

e3Vx655.jpg

and here we go - departing CPH, shortly to arrive at OOM

EHB2fOU.jpg

I'd forgotten how heavy these "F-lite" aircraft are on the system. I tried to fly this from Brisbane and got OOM before it had even loaded! Guess I'll stick to the default 747 or maybe the Posky version.

Or the Legacy.

35 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

but then all I'll have is one plane. 

Hi Jack - that might not be the case. It would be perfectly feasible for LM to create a compatibility mode that allowed 32-bit code to run unchanged under a 64-bit sim. Technically possible, but whether it happens would depend on LM's willingness to bother. It could be done in a way that allowed even memory hogs to run unchanged and yet still get some benefits from 64 bit by giving them priority use of the first 4gb of VAS and moving all the new stuff up out of the way. It's a political or business decision, not a technical one.

Two great shots, Andy. I had the same idea yesterday and flew a 742 to St. Maarten ;) Re your OOM, I rarely have them with the CLS Queen and my system is not much better than yours. Have you tried playing with the weather (back to default or ORBX weather) and other sliders?

Great shots... so far, Andy. OOM is a destination which is flown by many pilots, but no one ever departs there?!

8 hours ago, andy1252 said:

I tried to fly this from Brisbane and got OOM before it had even loaded!

Brisbane is my OOM capital of the globe. Even with smaller, simpler planes than a heavy.

2 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Hi Jack - that might not be the case. It would be perfectly feasible for LM to create a compatibility mode that allowed 32-bit code to run unchanged under a 64-bit sim. Technically possible, but whether it happens would depend on LM's willingness to bother. It could be done in a way that allowed even memory hogs to run unchanged and yet still get some benefits from 64 bit by giving them priority use of the first 4gb of VAS and moving all the new stuff up out of the way. It's a political or business decision, not a technical one.

BONUS!!!  Andy, I never knew!  That would be very cool if they did that.  I wonder when it does eventually come out I can have version 3.4 on one drive and version 4 on another?  If they don't do something like that I'll lose so many, like the L-39, or the Duke from the former RealAir, and several others.  I hope they do it.

22 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I wonder when it does eventually come out I can have version 3.4 on one drive and version 4 on another?

Not an issue Jack, that should work fine. You could in fact do that and (in theory) share stuff between the two systems if they allow any sort of backward compatibility in the new 64 bit version. But if they did have that compatibility, you wouldn't really need to share stuff between the two systems as the new system would be able to run it anyway. BUt it would allow you some peace of mind and a fallback option. And if they don't provide that backward compatibility, at least you can have both old and new systems up and running on the same PC (at the relatively light cost of some extra storage)

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

OOM is a destination which is flown by many pilots, but no one ever departs there?!

Hah! nicely put. If I had figured out how to do halfway decent repaints I might actually set up an "OOM Airlines" livery! And as for Brisbane, it's one of those airports I hardly ever use so I wasn't really aware of that, but I'll experiment

3 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Have you tried playing with the weather (back to default or ORBX weather) and other sliders?

HI Bernd, so far I haven't done any really serious experimentation with my ooms. I'm not likely to want to reduce any scenery settings just to get a particular 'plane in the air as the virtual world is the more important thing for me - the 'planes are just a very nice way to get round and see it. Don't get me wrong, I'm fascinated by the whole flying thing and I really enjoy seeing a lot of the aircraft models that are out there (my hangar is way overloaded!), but I'd rather fly an 8 by 4 board around the best ORBX regions than a massively memory hungry plane, no matter how wonderful, in default scenery.

Once I've got my current project of getting my scenery and hangar documentation up to date I will start doing some serious experimentation with the OOM issue. Try and get some real numbers to base things on. In the meantime, I just save flights often! Assuming I can get them to load in the first place <grin>

26 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Not an issue Jack, that should work fine. You could in fact do that and (in theory) share stuff between the two systems if they allow any sort of backward compatibility in the new 64 bit version. But if they did have that compatibility, you wouldn't really need to share stuff between the two systems as the new system would be able to run it anyway. BUt it would allow you some peace of mind and a fallback option. And if they don't provide that backward compatibility, at least you can have both old and new systems up and running on the same PC (at the relatively light cost of some extra storage)

Hah! nicely put. If I had figured out how to do halfway decent repaints I might actually set up an "OOM Airlines" livery! And as for Brisbane, it's one of those airports I hardly ever use so I wasn't really aware of that, but I'll experiment

HI Bernd, so far I haven't done any really serious experimentation with my ooms. I'm not likely to want to reduce any scenery settings just to get a particular 'plane in the air as the virtual world is the more important thing for me - the 'planes are just a very nice way to get round and see it. Don't get me wrong, I'm fascinated by the whole flying thing and I really enjoy seeing a lot of the aircraft models that are out there (my hangar is way overloaded!), but I'd rather fly an 8 by 4 board around the best ORBX regions than a massively memory hungry plane, no matter how wonderful, in default scenery.

Once I've got my current project of getting my scenery and hangar documentation up to date I will start doing some serious experimentation with the OOM issue. Try and get some real numbers to base things on. In the meantime, I just save flights often! Assuming I can get them to load in the first place <grin>

Brilliant post Andy.  Thanks and I look forward to your results.  Much obliged!

I saw the CLS 742 and I was going to ask you how it went but you didn't need any prompting to answer my question.

The answer is of course, it goes the same as mine, the OOM express.

Default is the 744 that I fly. Plenty of liveries, simple to fly and nice on my system.

Archived