Another great British plane

VH-KDK

1.sj1.jpg

Waiting for it's passengers to board at Southampton.

2.sj2.jpg

BIA was one of the main carriers out of Southampton in the 70s

3.sj3.jpg

Some very finely dressed passengers about to board their Embraer Jet.

4.sj4.jpg

Lifting off from Rwy 20.

5.sj5.jpg

The Isle of Wight with Cowes on the Medina River.

6.sj6.jpg

Approaching the French coast at Cosqueville

7.sj7.jpg

Cherbourg with it's huge harbour where Trans Atlantic liners used to dock in the old days.

8.sj8.jpg

Approaching the island of Jersey.

9.sj9.jpg

No cockpit, it is all being done with mirrors. St Aubin's Bay is on the left.

10.sj10.jpg

Short finals on 27.

11.sj11.jpg

Never went to Jersey but I will have to be content visiting the ORBX version.

12.sj12.jpg

Waiting for the return trip to Southampton.

Does any one outside of England recognise this fine plane?

20 minutes ago, Mickel said:

Without looking it up, HP Herald?

The coconut is in the mail, well recognised.

18 minutes ago, norfolk mike said:

Being from within England, I wont give it away! However, our local regional airline (Air UK) operated the type out of EGSH (Norwich) for a while. I remember going from Jersey to Norwich on one, thinking it was a strange looking F:27 :D.

They looked very nice in the red white and blue colours of Air UK, but I also liked the various orange BIA liveries too. Never flew in one but they were a common sight when I lived at Eastleigh. It was a nice change to see the occasional Air Anglia F-27 too.

Just now, Mickel said:

Gee thanks!  NZ's NAC was looking at them, even had one flown in.  But they went with the somewhat ubiquitous Friendship instead.  Same screamers on the wings though.

Those Darts were very good for making the ears whistle! Spotting at Bournemouth was great until a Viscount arrived and taxied onto the apron. Maybe it was not the loud music that has given me the permanent ringing in the ears. I was thinking that a Herald would never have made it to the Antipodes but you have just answered my thought.

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

They looked very nice in the red white and blue colours of Air UK, but I also liked the various orange BIA liveries too. Never flew in one but they were a common sight when I lived at Eastleigh. It was a nice change to see the occasional Air Anglia F-27 too.

I remember the Air Anglia F:27s well. In fact, I remember being VERY disappointed when our Air Anglia ride from Schiphol to Norwich turned out to be an F:27, and NOT a DC3 Dakota! We'd always previously flown on the Yellow, White and Black liveried Dakotas, so what on earth was this shrill sounding uncharismatic 'THING' doing on the apron?!! I was only a kid, but even though I wasn't (then) fully clued up as to the history and the significance of the Dak, I just knew I loved everything about it! I loved the climb up through the fuselage to get to the seats, I loved the rattles and vibrations when the engines started, and I particularly loved the fact the captains would always allow me and my brothers into the cockpit for the trip across the North Sea.

The F:27s quickly became the only option, but I kinda got to like the big windows, and watching the wheels come down :D. Then they all got painted Blue,White and Red and that was the end of yet another era! :D.

149 Handley Page Herald: G-APWJ IWM Duxford

Archived