Commercial Commuter Connections

Stillwater

We took a regular Star Alliance connection to return northwards from Ryans Creek / Stewart Island, ...

2017-1-22_13-59RyansCreek.jpg

... climbing over Oban (no, we did not get to Scotland that fast), ...

2017-1-22_14-1Oban.jpg

... and crossing the Aluminium smelter at the southern tip of South Island, near Invercargill.

2017-1-22_14-9InvercargillAlsmelter.jpg

Hot summer does not need to be a dry summer here in the roaring fourties.

2017-1-22_17-12-50-45.jpg

Dunedin, the hub of the south.

2017-1-22_17-16Dunedin.jpg
2017-1-22_17-25NZDN.jpg

Our baggage was checked through into the mother company, ANZ.

2017-1-23_19-54NZDN.jpg

Starting engine two. You can see the plane was so full I had to sit in the cockpit.

2017-1-23_20-41-11-922.jpg

Sheep land.

2017-1-23_20-51-17-682.jpg

Hills, dramatic rivers, and the coastline of South Island guide us northwards...

2017-1-23_20-53-41-172.jpg
2017-1-23_21-2-49-946.jpg
2017-1-23_21-20-16-790.jpg
2017-1-23_21-24-42-170.jpg

... until we descend over the Marlborough Sounds...

2017-1-23_21-39MarlboroughSounds.jpg

... into the busy city of Wellington.

2017-1-23_21-53Wellington.jpg

Starting engine two. You can see the plane was so full I had to sit in the cockpit. Don't you just hate it when that happens my friend , plus the crew food is better upfront . :rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

2017-1-23_20-41-11-922.jpg

Wonderful post Gerold.

This happened to me many years ago when I took a joy flight in an old Beech 18. I tried to be last on as I thought I would sit near the door, just in case (I should have had more faith in the old plane) but I was rather dismayed when another man sat in that seat. The pilot then said, "come on Martyn you are up the front with me." I had the best flight ever in the right hand seat of that fantastic old plane, 30 minutes of pure magic.

Is this the end of your New Zealand jaunt?

Thank you so much for following the posts here, @RJ and @adambar!

22 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I love these!  Again what plane is this?  And I love the livery!

Thanks, Jack! The first one is the Aerosoft Twin Otter, and I´ll look for the livery soon (see below).

4 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Every time I see your NZ trips, I think I need to go there to but... there is so much to go these days! :)

Nice tour Gerold.

Thank you, Ben. Good that we all have plenty of things to do (and to fly to) currently, keeps us young!

4 hours ago, PDX Flyer said:

What a great set of shots and repaints.  I especially like the skin on the Twin Otter.  Kudos to you Sir!

Would you mind sharing where I could find the Twin Otter repaint of the Mount Cook Line?

Yea, this paint also caught my eye. It was made by David "mjrhealth"; and can be found on OZx: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/4126-dhc6-300-wheel-mt-cook-lines-zkmco/

16 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

a) Wonderful post Gerold.

B) This happened to me many years ago when I took a joy flight in an old Beech 18. I tried to be last on as I thought I would sit near the door, just in case (I should have had more faith in the old plane) but I was rather dismayed when another man sat in that seat. The pilot then said, "come on Martyn you are up the front with me." I had the best flight ever in the right hand seat of that fantastic old plane, 30 minutes of pure magic.

c) Is this the end of your New Zealand jaunt?

re a): Thank you, my friend!

re b): Oh what a great evidence. Isn´t that something we all are constantly hoping for? Good to learn you tactics (late boarding), usually I am one of the first to get in - to avoid stress...

re c): Your guess base on this quick run over the south island is quite a qualified one: Only 4 more flights booked before entering the 777 again...

Archived