The real beauty of the fjords

Stillwater

Today I did not book a helicopter or speedboat tour from Manapouri, this was just a Lancair Legacy, turbocharged.

2017-1-21_19-52Manapouri.jpg

Approaching Pomona Island - an island within an island, how good is that?

2017-1-21_19-53PomonaIsland.jpg

Climbing across Wilmot Pass...

2017-1-21_19-56WilmotPass.jpg

... to immediately descend into Doubtful Sound. The doubts of James Cook were not necessary, but better safe than sorry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubtful_Sound 

2017-1-21_20-0DoubtfulSound.jpg

The little island ahead has an uncommon name: Bauza Island. Named by Felipe Bauza y Canas, who was cartographer on the first expedition that explored the fjord - Spanish, not Mr. Cook. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felipe_Bauza . Interesting to read he worked with Vincente Tofino, if the name rings a bell.
2017-1-21_20-1BauzaIsland.jpg
2017-1-21_20-2DoubtfulSound.jpg

Let´s enjoy the beauty of the Fjordland coast.

2017-1-21_20-3Fjordland.jpg

2017-1-21_20-4-45-502.jpg

Resolution Island ahead...

2017-1-21_20-8ResolutionIsland.jpg

2017-1-21_20-26-50-458.jpg

And, as some clouds come up, we make a little shortcut from the mountains...

2017-1-21_20-28-10-573.jpg

... to sheep land near Orepuki, ...
2017-1-21_20-36Orepuki.jpg

... just to approach our destination Invercargill. Aided by GPS, as you can see.
2017-1-21_20-41Invercargill.jpg

NZSI, the RealAir Legacy and Steve´s DX10 cloud shadows make a combination that fascinates me.

Gerold, you know how I am with my ever-hopeful lottery.  If I ever win (I have better chances on surviving two consecutive plane crashes and getting struck by lighting twice each time as I crawl from the wreckage than winning:lol:), BUT, if I ever won, I'd have you as a tour guide.  You always have the most wonderfully narrated tours and your knowledge of wherever you fly is very extensive.

Thank you for watching and your positive comments, @RJ, @dolf8857, @amentiba and @Iain Emms!

11 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Gerold, you know how I am with my ever-hopeful lottery.  If I ever win (I have better chances on surviving two consecutive plane crashes and getting struck by lighting twice each time as I crawl from the wreckage than winning:lol:), BUT, if I ever won, I'd have you as a tour guide.  You always have the most wonderfully narrated tours and your knowledge of wherever you fly is very extensive.

Jack I keep my fingers crossed re your lottery. But as a guide I could work only with full internet, especially Google Earth & Wikipedia. In a real wilderness that won´t help much... B)

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Beautiful views from your flight Gerold.

A wonderful narration too, just like a history lesson.

Wasn't it a bit draughty in your plane with all those holes in it?:huh:

Thanks Martyn. It was a real pleasure for me to dive into "Doubtful Sound" (on wikipedia) and follow the links back to the spanish expeditions of 18th century.

6 hours ago, adambar said:

Gorgeous shots and paint on the Lanc, Gerold! :)

That is no paint, Adam, just as Martyn described above: holes. To make it a lightweight plane.

Archived