Announcing San Diego International Airport - KSAN

Hello Everyone!

I am very pleased to announce my first airport with Orbx, KSAN - San Diego International Airport. San Diego is located in Southern California, close to the Mexican border. A beautiful approach, flying low over the central business district, San Diego is also the busiest single-runway commercial airport in the United States.

San Diego is a medium sized airport, serving around 500 scheduled flights daily, with destinations across the United States and Canada. San Diego also welcomes a few international flights from the United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico and Japan, as well as flights from Germany and Switzerland to commence in 2017. Whether you're flying the 737, 777, 757 or the A320, San Diego has it all. I have included the city with carefully hand placed trees as well as houses. I have also custom modeled the buildings and stadiums in the city. San Diego has entered beta, so look out for previews from the other guys.

Saluti,

Matteo!

2017-01-17_06-23-24-113.jpg

2017-01-17_06-23-24-228.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-16-PM126.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-16-PM202.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-16-PM347.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-16-PM421.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-16-PM768.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-16-PM836.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-16-PM908.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-16-PM979.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-17-PM207.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-17-PM303.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-17-PM372.jpg

2017-01-19_10-45-17-PM781.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-01-962.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-02-220.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-02-354.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-02-638.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-02-774.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-02-902.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-03-56.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-03-186.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-03-315.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-03-447.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-03-575.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-03-738.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-03-906.jpg

2017-01-19_11-27-04-79.jpg

First i was excited but the pictures are looking so plastic. The ground textures are way to clean... please make the them look like the airport is in use for more than four decades. It's a beta but it still needs some work to be a high class orbx product.

With today's computers you should get good performance if you're settings are done properly. The problem is the 32bit limitation that will lead to an OOM error with complex aircraft. This add on will certainly be welcomed when a 64bit sim is released. I've basically removed all my add-on airports in SCA because I wanted to enjoy this beautiful region. It's by far my favorite from a visual stand point.

Despite the platform limitations I will still buy it since it looks amazing and it's one of my favorite destinations.

AND, please put on a shirt. :D

46 minutes ago, Holy Cheese said:

Say what??? This one came out of left field!

Looks great!

Jack

Looks great and still I'm curious about the the differences. I think that's a a legitimate question. ;)

We all know, it'll be bought once out. :P

Kind regards. 

1 hour ago, zkerr8 said:

Looks amazing!  Can't wait to scrape the tops of building as I make my approach into RW27. 

dumb question.....is KSAN designed specifically for FTXSoCal or will it work with FTX global too?

+1 here. I don't have California region but would consider to get this one if it will work with FTX global

44 minutes ago, sun_king_135 said:

Looks great and still I'm curious about the the differences. I think that's a a legitimate question. ;)

Kind regards. 

Latin VFR had a few issues, take a look at the compatibility forums with orbx. I lived in San Diego for almost 6 years and it was nice to hear ORBX is doing this.

2 hours ago, sun_king_135 said:

Kind regards. 

Hey Sun King,

sorry, my "Say what???" wasn't in reply to your original post, I was just expressing my surprise that ORBX are doing KSAN, since I'd read absolutely nothing about this before now :)

I too have the Latin VFR version installed and will also be keen to see the differences, your question is certainly a legitimate one - I never had a problem with the LVFR version, even with SOCAL, Vector etc installed.

Cheers

Jack

I'm sure you guys know this already, but the green paint that separates the taxiways from the runway should be brighter and a deeper shade of green.  If you need info or photos in the surrounding airport areas, let me know.  I live in San Diego.  Also, will the local hospital helipads be depicted?  There's UCSD Hillcrest, Scripps Mercy, and Balboa Naval Hospital that are all very close to the flight path of 27.  Also, there are numerous rooftop pads, and one boat at the 5th Ave Pier that has an Agusta A109 Grand on board.  Looks like you're taking on the Coast Guard base too!  Any development of Point Loma and the Cabrillo National Monument area?

First  effort from a new designer, well done mate.. I was stunned at the screenshots.

Sad to see a couple of criticisms of the man's first effort though.. although they are mainly from relatively new posters, so don't give them too much thought Matteo. Teecee.

Saluti -- now please put a shirt on!

I would also like to see what the coverage are will be -- you are showing a few shots of the downtown area and the harbor, so I wonder how much of that is SCA and how much is this airport.

EDIT:  Looks great by the way!

1 hour ago, Holy Cheese said:

Hey Sun King,

sorry, my "Say what???" wasn't in reply to your original post, I was just expressing my surprise that ORBX are doing KSAN, since I'd read absolutely nothing about this before now :)

I too have the Latin VFR version installed and will also be keen to see the differences, your question is certainly a legitimate one - I never had a problem with the LVFR version, even with SOCAL, Vector etc installed.

Cheers

Jack

I'm as curious as you are, Jack, since I also never had an issue with that scenery and there haven't been too many changes to the real one.

21 minutes ago, teecee said:

First  effort from a new designer, well done mate.. I was stunned at the screenshots.

Sad to see a couple of criticisms of the man's first effort though.. although they are mainly from relatively new posters, so don't give them too much thought Matteo. Teecee.

I've not read any criticism from other users. If at all, the question is why not Long Beach, Oakland or Burbank - in other words airports that have not yet been done. This just raises the next question: 

What is better, different or newer compared to mentioned scenery?

I'd not take it negatively, but as a positive and constructive feedback. ;)

Besides, I am already eager to fly some DC-10s into SAN. The screenies are indeed stunning. :)

Kind regards 

1 hour ago, SDFlyer said:

I'm sure you guys know this already, but the green paint that separates the taxiways from the runway should be brighter and a deeper shade of green.  If you need info or photos in the surrounding airport areas, let me know.  I live in San Diego.  Also, will the local hospital helipads be depicted?  There's UCSD Hillcrest, Scripps Mercy, and Balboa Naval Hospital that are all very close to the flight path of 27.  Also, there are numerous rooftop pads, and one boat at the 5th Ave Pier that has an Agusta A109 Grand on board.  Looks like you're taking on the Coast Guard base too!  Any development of Point Loma and the Cabrillo National Monument area?

I would love for the hospitals to be modeled to use with my Cerasim AS365

7 hours ago, Stingrey said:

First i was excited but the pictures are looking so plastic. The ground textures are way to clean... please make the them look like the airport is in use for more than four decades. It's a beta but it still needs some work to be a high class orbx product.

The scenery only looks so "soft", because of the very high level of anti aliasing used.

Salve Matteo!

Fantastic, this just looks incredible! An absolute must have for me.

And please don't care too much about those nitpickers. Seems to me lots of grumpy old men are frequenting the forum today! B)

@sd_flyer  You said,"If you need info or photos in the surrounding airport areas, let me know."  I also live near San Diego and participated in the LVFR KSAN beta test. We have a long-standing club, San Diego SimFlite, that meets the 2nd Saturday of each month, sometimes under the Rwy 27 approach flight path at the Aerospace Museum -- so we have access to photos (and personal knowledge) to share as well.

Might you and any other FTX forum readers be interested in joining us? If so please PM me.

Looks great, no doubt this will be a work of Orbx standard.

But... why is our small FS market currently seeing so many places with sceneries being developed twice (e. g. Munich, Innsbruck, Barcelona, JFK for sure, even KAVX), while other places suffer from good payware (e. g. Perth)? I am not sure this is the most effective use of resources - and it surely reduces sales potential.

5 hours ago, teecee said:

+1

Archived