Corse to Dubrovnik

VH-KDK

Inspired by a cooking show I watched at lunch time I thought I would do a flight from Corse or Corsica to us English speaking types.

So I chose the Lufthansa A310 for the flight.

1.cd1.jpg

Getting ready at LFKJ Ajaccio Napoleon Bonaparte Airport. I like how the air bridges work, not bad at all eh.

2.cd2.jpg

Taking off over a very pleasant Mediterranean beach.

3.cd3.jpg

Great, got the GPS working so we can head off to the east.

4.cd4.jpg

Some very impressive mountainous scenery with Sardinia on the horizon.

5.cd5.jpg

Crossing the Tirrenean Sea approaching Rome and Fiumicino Airport, which is close to Italy.

6.cd6.jpg

So much to view over Rome and the Holy See. St Peters Square is behind the starboard wing with the River Tiber prominent. 

7.cd7.jpg

About to leave Italy over the Abruzzo region at Pineto. The Apennines make a spectacular backdrop.

8.cd8.jpg

The harbour at Pescara is highlighted by the sun's reflection in this shot.

9.cd9.jpg

Soon we have crossed The Adriatic and are turning to land at LDDU close to Banici.

10.cd10.jpg

Still time to marvel at the wonderful scenery at Dubrovnik.

11.cd11.jpg

Now things get interesting as I have no idea how to use the ILS, so off with the Ap and fly it in manually.

12.cd12.jpg

All lined up nicely, flaps down and speed set.

13.cd13.jpg

Landed with a slight bounce, pressed P to disengage the AT and apply the speed brakes. When I came out of Pause the plane banked sharply to port and went half off the runway.  Don't know why that happened, anyway all is well now.

14.cd14.jpg

Gate 10 is MT so I will park here.

15.cd15.jpg

Waiting for the air bridge so our happy passengers can decant this fine old jet.

Hope you enjoyed this flight as much as I have.

Really great angles in your shots, Martyn, e. g. in the first one: A default airport and a freeware plane, and the wide-angle makes it look quite good.

Always nice to read the storyline of your developing piloting skills.

I also enjoy all the geography tasks you give us, in this case I could add lots of RL ground pictures of Corse (overflying the southern ridges and Porto Vecchio) and - of course - Rome. Thanks for those memories!

11 hours ago, Voyager said:

Brilliant trip on this wonder of scenery at this so nice airliner, Martyn.

Thanks for the screenshots. I loved them all.

Voyager

Cheers Voyager.

8 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Smashing set indeed.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Really great angles in your shots, Martyn, e. g. in the first one: A default airport and a freeware plane, and the wide-angle makes it look quite good.

Always nice to read the storyline of your developing piloting skills.

I also enjoy all the geography tasks you give us, in this case I could add lots of RL ground pictures of Corse (overflying the southern ridges and Porto Vecchio) and - of course - Rome. Thanks for those memories!

Cheers Gerold, a part of the world I have never seen. Apparently we were meant to go to Corsica for a holiday in 1958 but because of the difficulty in getting flights we went to the States instead.

7 hours ago, RJ said:

Majestic set, Martyn! :)

Thanks RJ.

5 hours ago, Kasi31 said:

Great trip and shots Martyn!

Thank you Karsten.

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

What a nice tour Martyn!  I always love when people do these.  You learn something and get a good feel for the area where I might not have time to fly there.  Great stuff!

Thanks Jack, Italy does look to have some interesting flights to consider. Who knows one day we might get a full region!

3 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

Great set Martyn, all beauties!

Cheers Dolf.

3 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Enjoyable tour - I heartily endorse Lufthansa's new "On the Job" training program.

Thanks but I don't think the passengers or the cleaners were to enthralled with the landing.

Many thanks for your comments folks, glad you enjoyed the flight.

18 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Apparently we were meant to go to Corsica for a holiday in 1958 but because of the difficulty in getting flights we went to the States instead.

We always drove with a car. And that was 50 years later... ;) (no real progress obviously).

On ‎8‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:26 AM, Mark Abdey said:

A great set Martyn B)

Thank you Mark.

On ‎8‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:40 AM, Stillwater said:

We always drove with a car. And that was 50 years later... ;) (no real progress obviously).

I used to love being in the car driving through France down to Spain. We did this 3 times in the early 60s. I look now on GE and it is double road all the way.

On ‎8‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, Ken Terry said:

Martyn, this was a gem  " approaching Rome and Fiumicino Airport, which is close to Italy."

Regards

Ken

Thanks Ken, you can't get much closer!

On ‎8‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:51 AM, BradB said:

Top shelf shots and scenery , great post my friend !! .

Cheers

John

Cheers John.

Thank you for your comments and glad you enjoyed the flight.

Archived