Orbx 2017 Roadmap

John Venema

21 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Late to this party, somehow it got unfollowed.

What I'd like to know, as a P3D user is IF they have a major announcement at LM soon that they will indeed go 64 bit, I know Orbx can update their scenery to 64 bit.  But what about all my planes?  I'd have a nice OOM free sim but terribly wretched default LM planes and a hangar full of broken aircraft I spent a small fortune on.  And what's worse a lot are out of business or won't upgrade thir aircraft.

I'm not a programmer, but if I understand correctly, X-Plane 10 was 32 bit, X-Plane 11 is 64 bit - and yet I bought a few X-Plane 10 planes on sale from Carenado and they work great in 11, and I spent yesterday installing a bunch of freeware X-Plane 9/10 sceneries and libraries into 11 and those also work great in the 64 bit world.

It may be a totally different architecture than X-Plane for FSX/P3D, not sure, but I was surprised and pleased.

Not sure if we'll be as lucky with FSX heritage sims.

But wouldn't it be nice to have one new plane, say your nice A2A Comanche, with no fear of OOMs ever and gradually re-collect?  We can still use our old sim, HD space permitting.

Steve

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P3D v3 is the best OOM platform for sure. I can't fly airliners without degrading Orbx scenery. Or even better off uninstalling Vector to save some virtual address space .P3D is "game of pain" even with my state of art GTX1080.

The only advantage of P3D platform is was build on FSX legacy .So many simmers including myself followed new trend. I was hardcore P3D user until now..

My personal opinion that unstable beta of X-plane 11 is light years away from P3D. Out of the box beautiful scenery with living world beneath. Tons of quality free addons. And the most important thing no OOM with everything maxed out ! I can ran max graphics setting along with fancy weather plugin, plus complex airplane for hours without fears of OOM.

Now that is the future that I rather invest .

So I hope Orbx will enter x-plane market with cool head and unbiased attitude .

As for me I won't invest a penny to P3D anymore unless things radically change. Paying for beauty that crashes the sim doesn't make sense to me anymore. I don't want to settle with degrading graphic settings or "mickey mouse " aircraft to avoid OOM. I know many people will realize it soon. I was unfairly biased for a x-plane long time, but not any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

My personal opinion that unstable beta of X-plane 11 is light years away from P3D. Out of the box beautiful scenery with living world beneath. Tons of quality free addons. And the most important thing no OOM with everything maxed out ! I can ran max graphics setting along with fancy weather plugin, plus complex airplane for hours without fears of OOM.

Now that is the future that I rather invest .

So I hope Orbx will enter x-plane market with cool head and unbiased attitude .

I bought the XP11 beta before I heard about Orbx coming to XP and also before I heard about P3D probably becoming 64 bit in 2017. Since P3D going to 64 bit probably means having to reinvest in almost all my addons I decided this is THE best time to switch to XP11. If I have to start (almost) all over again anyway, I'd rather start all over again with a platform that to me (imho etc.) seem more future proof. When it comes to graphics XP11 blows FSX/P3D out of the water (a LOT more detail, no more loading of textures, no obvious LOD, absolutely superior lighting, OSM based scenery that can be updated, a (sort of) more living world, etc. etc. etc.) so I simply can't see myself buying P3D 4 64 bit for 200 bucks... only to be stuck with the same old FSX texture system (popping up mesh and textures nearby the plane all the time)... Following a highway low and slow through the Alps at dawn in XP is absolutely breathtaking, the lights, the detail, and something no other sim can do this way. They don't even come close.

I didn't actually switch to XP: I simply noticed I haven't used P3D at all anymore after getting XP11... and after reading Orbx will support XP the future looks even better and the choice to go for XP even easier: I switched to XP without actually choosing to do so. It just happened. I do hope that Orbx will come up with some cool addons that really fit the XP way of doing things (and not just convert what they have now): XP is great but (just as any other sim) far from perfect and I can see possibilities for Orbx here. 

I have been flightsimming since the eighties and specially for civil flying sims I don't recall so much good things happening to my hobby. I really do think this is the most exciting time ever for flight simmers! Yes, it will cost money and choices may have to be made but seriously, I cannot see any reason for moaning about what is happening now! If you think everything that is happening is bad, stick with what you have right now and be done with it. You don't have to upgrade or buy anything. But I am looking forward to an exciting 2017.

11 minutes ago, J van E said:

I didn't actually switch to XP: I simply noticed I haven't used P3D at all anymore after getting XP11... 

I made the opposite experience. I own XP11 (and XP10) and I acknowledge it has some nice features, most notably OSM-based scenery. Despite, I find myself nearly exclusively using P3D3 for actualy flying. One strong argument being the host of ORBX and other scenery I own. And I have quite high hopes for Prepar3d4 which might become the actual competitor for XP11.

BTW, I am afraid we're at "my sim is better than your sim" again. Seems a pretty sure indication one more thread nearing its end.

Kind regards, Michael

I made the opposite experience. I own XP11 (and XP10) and I acknowledge it has some nice features, most notably OSM-based scenery. Despite, I find myself nearly exclusively using P3D3 for actualy flying. One strong argument being the host of ORBX and other scenery I own. And I have quite high hopes for Prepar3d4 which might become the actual competitor for XP11.

BTW, I am afraid we're at "my sim is better than your sim" again. Seems a pretty sure indication one more thread nearing its end.

Kind regards, Michael

Do you fly PMDG like complex aircraft in P3D?

24 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Do you fly PMDG like complex aircraft in P3D?

No, (nearly) only Cessnas and VFR. As I said, I am missing the ORBX sceneries I am in love with (and, yes, I know Mister X). Besides, I still find XP somehow artifically looking at day lighting. However, I acknowledge XP11 is a huge step forward from XP10 indeed. 

Aside this, I don't want to talk anyone into using any sim at all, as long as he or she is happy what he has.

Kind regards, Michael

No, (nearly) only Cessnas and VFR. As I said, I am missing the ORBX sceneries I am in love with (and, yes, I know Mister X). Besides, I still find XP somehow artifically looking at day lighting. However, I acknowledge XP11 is a huge step forward from XP10 indeed. 

Aside this, I don't want to talk anyone into using any sim at all, as long as he or she is happy what he has.

Kind regards, Michael

Well that a thing. I can't complete any flight in complex airplane in P3D without degrading graphics, AI and etc. It kind of defeating the primary reason of having Orbx on the first place.

As far as XP11 + x-enviro I can tell you I haven't seen anything graphically that close to reality in any sim before . And I've been simming since early 90th. I also can compare with real world flying because I've been flying since 2002, and flight instructing for the past 5 years.

If LM ever switch to 64 bits it will be like start over from the scratch again while XP11 is already has solid 64 bit addons base

Hi,

As I said, I only fly GA, the most intricate perhaps being the A2A C172. However, I use all sort of complex sceneries, ORBX, FlightBeam, Drzewiecki Design, FlyTampa, and the like. I don't recall when I had my last OOM, but it's been very long ago. And I have nearly all scenery settings maxxed out (minus some shadows etc. as my graphics adapter is not that capable).

One point may be my hardware panel being driven (using SPAD.neXt) via a networked 2nd machine, thus I can do without any on-screen panel. The 3D panel eats quite some resources  wrt. to fps and VAS.

Kind regards, Michael

I guess my inadequate question was about my investment track,

XP-11 now, 

The combined Orbs-XP-11,  and will purchased xp add-ons work

The new P3d 64bit, and will Orbx have abandoned it, and what abut retrofitting airports and the like.  Will ESSA work.

And the million dollar question, would a LM 64bit, be more or less superior to the upcoming Orbx combo, or will it be first up, best dressed.

There is a lot of money, my money, involved...

13 minutes ago, wavn said:

Is also true: probably (I think) project "D" stands for Dovetail Games Flightsim!; but maybe maybe................... DCS??????

Can be well excluded as ORBX and Dovetail already openly declared they signed a contract earlier this year.

Kind regards, Michael

On 28/12/2016 at 11:35 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

What I'd like to know, as a P3D user is IF they have a major announcement at LM soon that they will indeed go 64 bit,

If LM follow their historical timetable of version releases, it appears that Version 4 of P3D will turn up in the 4th quarter of 2017

This gives us a whole year to enjoy the current OrbX products we have and still buy more for the near future

I am sure JV & team want to take full advantage of whatever is coming onto the market this year and have it ready when they can

As stated by several forum contributors over time is that 64bit has the potential to make exponential improvements in scenery

For the first few years of 64bit release I am sure developers will be exploring pushing the envelope of what is really possible for our benefit

On 12/27/2016 at 6:56 PM, Republic DC-9 said:

I think it will be the first alternative - I'm willing to bet that a good percentage of the 3D work etc. can port from sim to sim (which will help total sales) and the presence on Steam of a high FPS game/sim like Aerofly with VR capability can only help attract people to our hobby.

I bought X-plane 11 recently and while it is not P3D it is quite nice and it's nice knowing that you won't OOM - and I bought some Carenado planes on sale for it and they work great in the new 64 bit world without modification.

And I like the moving trains and out of scale power lines :) 

Have not tried Aerofly FS 2 yet but am very tempted especially if Orbx or others can add some autogen to the thing...which I'm sure Orbx can help with.

Steve

Not sure what you mean with the "new" 64bit world... XP10 was already 64bit...

On 12/28/2016 at 8:03 PM, Republic DC-9 said:

I'm not a programmer, but if I understand correctly, X-Plane 10 was 32 bit, X-Plane 11 is 64 bit - and yet I bought a few X-Plane 10 planes on sale from Carenado and they work great in 11, and I spent yesterday installing a bunch of freeware X-Plane 9/10 sceneries and libraries into 11 and those also work great in the 64 bit world.

It may be a totally different architecture than X-Plane for FSX/P3D, not sure, but I was surprised and pleased.

Not sure if we'll be as lucky with FSX heritage sims.

But wouldn't it be nice to have one new plane, say your nice A2A Comanche, with no fear of OOMs ever and gradually re-collect?  We can still use our old sim, HD space permitting.

Steve

No, you don't understand correctly. XP10 was already 64bit (although there was a 32 bit version too). 

On 12/28/2016 at 2:14 PM, FalconAF said:

True, Brian.  Everything can be speculation.  But is it wise for a company to CAUSE the speculation that may/will result in it's customer base ending up scratching their heads, NOT buying their products anymore NOW, because of thinking, "Well heck...sounds like they MIGHT be planning something for this new state of the art simulator, so why should I spend any more money on the CURRENT non-state of the art simulators until I see what is REALLY gonna happen?"

Don't tease me...don't confuse me...and especially don't IMPLY something that you haven't YET actually decided to do.  If you DO have a DEFINITE plan you are going to proceed with, THEN tell me what it is so I can decide how to spend my money.  DON'T tell me "Great things are going to happen SOMETIME in 2017, so hang in there and keep buying our products NOW...even though they may not work for you in as little as 3 months or so from now."

Sorry, but I find your rant simply ridiculous...

This same "logic" can be applied to practically ANY consumer product in existence today...

Companies do this all the time about future products they are working on. Ranting like a little kid because you want it "now" is about the silliest thing I have ever seen (or rather read). 

5 hours ago, pmb said:

Can be well excluded as ORBX and Dovetail already openly declared they signed a contract earlier this year.

Kind regards, Michael

all clear indeed!

means about 5 (of which 1 existing: for me FSX SE) civilian flightsims from which to choose: certainly not that easy: the overwhelming difficulty of choice (lol)

On December 27, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Republic DC-9 said:

I bought X-plane 11 recently and while it is not P3D it is quite nice and it's nice knowing that you won't OOM - and I bought some Carenado planes on sale for it and they work great in the new 64 bit world without modification.

Steve

Steve, does XP11 implement seasonal changes yet?  Quite frankly I haven't seen an OOM for a very long time, which I guess is a function of my flight plans and aircraft.  Also Steve, what is your opinion on total performance between P3D and XP currently on the same hardware?  I'm on a 5y/o SB-E at 4.4Ghz and still have very good perf in P3D.

I hope the predictions voiced on this thread do not come to pass. As I am one of those still suffering on a 2.4Dual system (money for a system upgrade is not on my horizon), adding more ORBx products is not going to be a viable financial prospect in the near future. As I am struggling with the newly purchased SCA & KPSP, I may have to stay with my current purchased products and just enjoy what I have and dream of what could be.

We will just have to wait for 2017 and see what they bring us.

Regards,

Lance.

p.s. I am hoping for a Bougainville and Solomon Islands package.

I am very pleased to see that Orbx has R&D interest in multiple flight sim platforms...

I use multiple platforms right now for different purposes.  I use XP10 (XP11 is too unstable for me to spend time on yet - I am sure it will get there) for practicing real-world flight procedures on the PilotEdge network, and for learning helicopter flight - the graphical smoothness and inherent flight characteristics of the sim have always been superior in my mind, I can use my radio/transponder/instrument hardware with XP/PilotEdge with minimal fuss, the night lighting is exceedingly well done, there are multiple great helicopter payware packages available etc.  It is the closest I can get to having a professional-quality simulator in my home.  However, I use P3D for practicing aircraft systems (use A2A and RealAir almost exclusively) and for VFR flight simming, as P3D with Orbx/HiFi/A2A is almost unmatched in terms of accuracy to the real world environment.  XP lack of season changes and poor weather implementation leaves it lacking in certain areas, while P3D is a constant struggle to achieve smooth graphical performance or to get certain peripherals to work properly (and the limited capabilities of the aging P3D graphics engine means flying PilotEdge in dense SoCal in P3D is out of the question...).  I even enjoy DCS as it is THE most accurate helicopter sim platform I have found, and the systems fidelity, smoothness and flight models are as accurate as you can get - IF you want to fly military aircraft around Las Vegas or the Caucasus. :P

I appreciate each platform for what it is and what it is not...

That companies like Orbx are willing to look at innovation investments in different platforms means we will have choices, and a better chance to find something that meets our needs whether we use the products as a hobby or for something more.  IMHO XP in particular has really needed interest from companies like Orbx, PMDG, A2A, HiFi etc to fill some of the gaps in that platform's capabilities - with PMDG and now possibly Orbx (if we read between the lines) willing to look at it, it becomes a potentially much more promising alternative to P3D (and competition is good for all!).

I look forward with interest to what the developments of the next few years will bring...

Sounds absolutely awesome John, cant wait and after being away from Flight Sim for 12 months but now and coming back with a brand new custom built PC running an I7 6950X Intel Chip, Rampage V Edition 10 Motherboard, 32 GB Installed RAM and Dual GeForce 1080 graphics cards, brand new Samsung UHD Ultra 4K monitor and many other bells and whistles, it sounds like I will be as happy as a honeymooners you know what....:-)

Cheers,

Chris

Happy new year to you all! :)

I'll be probably switching away from FSX this year, as it's age and stability are really not quite satisfying. And, well, after seeing all the great images from P3D v3 or Aerofly2.

I'm greatly anticipating FTX Germany South. May I ask, if the monastery in Lake Chiem will be included as a POI? 

frauenchiemsee450.jpg

130220_46375.jpg

I'd greatly appreciate this, as this area is very scenic and special. :)

Kind regards. 

Stefan 

Hello thanks we will be waiting for OpenLC South America very anxious there are not many developers here, and especially in Ecuador we need Airports like SEQM, SEGU, SESM, SECU, SEJD,SECO,SEMT,SETN. And we have about 300 jungle runways in the east of Ecuador where the smaller aviation makes 100+ daily flights on dangerous terrain and very variable weather with daily rains . If you need information and data I can help you.

jespinosa@ads-ec.org

10371188_10209111288244304_2781801406724556407_o.jpg

859717_10201720113029543_1028047617_o.jpg

10451778_10206781145792199_7120429070941357159_n.jpg

Archived