Orbx 2017 Roadmap

John Venema

Lovely, lovely. There was a film called Project X starring Matthew Broderick. It was about chimpanzees flying aeroplanes. What are you trying to tell us John? :)

Oh and as a side issue, just how do I sell all this to the wife exactly? I'm going to be sooooo dead.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JOHN, many thanks for sharing the 2017 roadmap. i have made also a huge investment in the past in old technology. i was getting  very nervous because Orbx had almost covered what needs to be covered. I will start building the war chest and be reassure, your investment will pay off. I commit to buy all the titles of a new technology and I hope others will pledge here their commitment too

i just love it.

cheers

luis aka ridgenj

18 minutes ago, Ridgenj said:

I commit to buy all the titles of a new technology and I hope others will pledge here their commitment too

i just love it.

cheers

luis aka ridgenj

Good luck. You promise to buy all titles for all 4 64 bits platforms? Plus you have time to maintain those platforms, buy corresponding hardware (you know platform A might be photo-based requiring a FAT SSD), buy some VR gear, and certainly buy some absolutely required addons for all those platforms.

I envy you. Just call me in case you have some money left afterwards. :D

Kind regards, Michael 

Hi Michael, right now we have only one 64 bit platform contender.
I have a 737NG fix based cockpit that requires a better scenery engine. I have a master and 3 visual engines with Asus Strix 1080 cards crying for a new visual engine. Orbx has been saving the old platforms but still nothing we can do against "out of memory" in the middle of a 4 hours flight. Frustrating and not Orbx fault. Full add ons only runs in my desktop.
Today I need already 4 Samsung 950 Pro 512 SSD's that have to be exact clones to use multichannel capabilities.
By the way, you need 4x licenses for this array, so I only use a native platform.
It is a very expensive hobby.
Cheers
Luis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Good luck. You promise to buy all titles for all 4 64 bits platforms? Plus you have time to maintain those platforms, buy corresponding hardware (you know platform A might be photo-based requiring a FAT SSD), buy some VR gear, and certainly buy some absolutely required addons for all those platforms.

I envy you. Just call me in case you have some money left afterwards. :D

Kind regards, Michael 

Beautiful.

I personally have backed off of buy new scenery, even the most recent Orbx releases. I am not poor but I can't sustain this endless slow beating with a whip of new releases; last purchase was Germany Region but haven't bought an airport in some time.

I am flying mostly P3Dv3.4 now. I have enough of everything to keep me happy. But, I will move toward ONE sim that offers, 64bit and no more OOMs.

I'm lost, to much stuff. I remember deleted/stopped thread when someone asked about why ORBX was not getting into X-plane?

Aerofly?

Did any of you looked at this video:

My god this is realistic... stock plane & Scenery?  

I don't get ORBX involvement in that (if there is any)?

Ben

On 15 december 2016 at 9:46 AM, pmb said:

There's only one issue for us old ORBX buffs buying any single scenery so far: How can we keep to that habit in view of 4 (four) platforms, whichever they will be...? :unsure:

Kind regards, Michael

I think you and others have to think a bit out of the box here. I don't expect that Orbx will simply release everything they have for all platforms now. No, I think they will create different things for each platform. Probably things we didn't even think about. Orbx regions for instance won't fit into XP: maybe they will start creating regional autogen packages (which is a new option in XP11). For Aerofly they may completely surprise us with something new. Only for Dovetail you may expect things to be ported over. But I don't think anyone will buy everything for every sim because it will be different things and so people will choose one or two sims and get some of the addons for it. The way you say it makes it sound as if every sim will become the exact same when Orbx starts delivering addons for them but I don't think that will be the case at all. There always will be people who prefer one sim over the other for (very) different reasons.

7 hours ago, Ridgenj said:

Hi Michael, right now we have only one 64 bit platform contender.

Wrong. We have two of them. AeroflyFS2 and X-Plane are both 64 bit. I own both and have a bit of an experience with them. Both have their strong and weak aspects, but  I can tell you I really *love* AeroflyFS2. 

Besides, we got FlightSchool as an unsolicited 64 bit preview for the Dovetail Simulator. Not worth speaking about, though.

Kind regards, Michael

Great update.

I have not been part of Orbx in 2016 due to a switch to X-plane 10, I fell in love with the IXEG 737 and haven't been able to let go.  Took me a few weeks/months to get to grips with that sim and the general way it does things, very awkwardly at times.  There are some great freeware airports out there. KBOS springs to mind, however you can still get down to low FPS, even though it's 64 bit.  Would love to see Orbx do a similar mix of regions and airports in X-Plane where the runway was big enough for the 737 but remote enough to keep the sim smooth.

Orbx on X-plane will be a dream for VFR lovers.  The lighting system is so advanced compared to FSX, the character and atmosphere in the sim is way past anything FSX can generate, it's something that isn't programmed into the sim, it's just there.  There are a lot of negative sides, but for me, the positives outweigh the negatives.  

I can fly the IXEG 737 on 20 consecutive flights to the US east coast,  no need to reset my pc, no need to ever restart the sim, no stutters, constant 25fps, no pop up scenery, no blurries!!!   Ok, it's not all perfect, the weather system looks fine but needs a major development with something like ASN, the AI system is poor, or at least it needs a lot of time to setup, as far as I know there is no plug and play Mytraffic or UT.  With PMDG and ORBX onboard, we just need a good GA aircraft from Orbx, RealAir, A2A to really advance this sim!   Carenado do a lot of stuff from X-plane, but without being rude, they are pretty poor compared to others.

Living is Switzerland, I have had Aerofly FS for years, played it quite a bit. It has a lot of positives, but many negatives.  I haven't tried it for a few months so maybe there are some updates.  The flight model on the whole is ok, if you fly it in a sensible fashion it reacts quite well, if you fly it in a highly unrealistic fashion, it plays along and your aircraft flies in a crazy way too!  The flight engine is basically a training software for RC model flying, Aerofly FS simply puts you a cockpit and with some great photscenery to fly in...just be gentle on the controls.  Loads of potential though...  EDIT, and there you see, Aerofly FS2, told you I haven't looked at it for months!!  I need to check that out :)

Good luck Orbx with your plan, if you develop for X-plane, my credit card is at the ready!

Sounds exciting. And expensive. Will cause some discussions at home. However - seems there are great times ahead. 
Another question by the way: There is nobody in the market who's aware of Africa (except a little bit of Egypt). It is such a great continent. Would like to do some safari/bush-flying there.
If you work on 2018, you may remember...
Merry Christmas for now. 

I'm an FSX-only Orbx user, but from upthread comments it sounds like if I did fly P3D I'd have to re-buy my regions to use them there, is that right?  I thought they were compatible for both so you could re-use your license for regions/LC/iarports for both.  I thought eventually with a new 64-bit ready PC, I could buy and port all my stuff to P3D, but I guess I couldn't afford to fly anything other than FSX if that's the case.

Great update.

I have not been part of Orbx in 2016 due to a switch to X-plane 10, I fell in love with the IXEG 737 and haven't been able to let go.  Took me a few weeks/months to get to grips with that sim and the general way it does things, very awkwardly at times.  There are some great freeware airports out there. KBOS springs to mind, however you can still get down to low FPS, even though it's 64 bit.  Would love to see Orbx do a similar mix of regions and airports in X-Plane where the runway was big enough for the 737 but remote enough to keep the sim smooth.

Orbx on X-plane will be a dream for VFR lovers.  The lighting system is so advanced compared to FSX, the character and atmosphere in the sim is way past anything FSX can generate, it's something that isn't programmed into the sim, it's just there.  There are a lot of negative sides, but for me, the positives outweigh the negatives.  

I can fly the IXEG 737 on 20 consecutive flights to the US east coast,  no need to reset my pc, no need to ever restart the sim, no stutters, constant 25fps, no pop up scenery, no blurries!!!   Ok, it's not all perfect, the weather system looks fine but needs a major development with something like ASN, the AI system is poor, or at least it needs a lot of time to setup, as far as I know there is no plug and play Mytraffic or UT.  With PMDG and ORBX onboard, we just need a good GA aircraft from Orbx, RealAir, A2A to really advance this sim!   Carenado do a lot of stuff from X-plane, but without being rude, they are pretty poor compared to others.

Living is Switzerland, I have had Aerofly FS for years, played it quite a bit. It has a lot of positives, but many negatives.  I haven't tried it for a few months so maybe there are some updates.  The flight model on the whole is ok, if you fly it in a sensible fashion it reacts quite well, if you fly it in a highly unrealistic fashion, it plays along and your aircraft flies in a crazy way too!  The flight engine is basically a training software for RC model flying, Aerofly FS simply puts you a cockpit and with some great photscenery to fly in...just be gentle on the controls.  Loads of potential though...  EDIT, and there you see, Aerofly FS2, told you I haven't looked at it for months!!  I need to check that out [emoji4]

Good luck Orbx with your plan, if you develop for X-plane, my credit card is at the ready!

There already is great GA planes. For example, from Airfoillabs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm going to wait and see.  Happy with fsxse.  Spent a ton of money on orbx products to enhance the sim.  If 64 bit requires these products to be repurchased as has been posted in this forum, I will pass but will continue buying for fsxse.  Looking forward mostly to South America openlc, buildings, Santa Barbara and the northeast.     

36 minutes ago, ironcondor said:

Have them all and X-plane is the most realistic. Project D will probably be a
Educational simulator. X-plane will push forward with ORBX as the best sim. IMO

Project D is the 'new' Dovetail flight sim.

35 minutes ago, Geezer said:

I'm going to wait and see.  Happy with fsxse.  Spent a ton of money on orbx products to enhance the sim.  If 64 bit requires these products to be repurchased as has been posted in this forum, I will pass but will continue buying for fsxse.  Looking forward mostly to South America openlc, buildings, Santa Barbara and the northeast.     

Continue buying for FSXSE... are you sure? FSXSE will be sort of dead when Dovetail release their 'new' sim. They won't work on it anymore. With all other sims being 64 bit I doubt if much addons will be created specifically for FSXSE 32 bit anymore. Sounds like a dead end street to me and not something you would want to invest money in.

I personally think that P3D becoming 64bit will be a big boost for XP. It will be the perfect time to switch to a modern sim (when it comes to graphics), specially now Orbx is coming on board too.

Continue buying for FSXSE... are you sure? FSXSE will be sort of dead when Dovetail release their 'new' sim. They won't work on it anymore. With all other sims being 64 bit I doubt if much addons will be created specifically for FSXSE 32 bit anymore. Sounds like a dead end street to me and not something you would want to invest money in.

I personally think that P3D becoming 64bit will be a big boost for XP. It will be the perfect time to switch to a modern sim (when it comes to graphics), specially now Orbx is coming on board too.

Yes sir , I know it's the Dovetail simulator. It will be like a flight school based system probably. This is what they were basically converting FSX into.

4 hours ago, EuRo42 said:

Sounds exciting. And expensive. Will cause some discussions at home. However - seems there are great times ahead. 
Another question by the way: There is nobody in the market who's aware of Africa (except a little bit of Egypt). It is such a great continent. Would like to do some safari/bush-flying there.
If you work on 2018, you may remember...
Merry Christmas for now. 

Exactly.....Africa is always at the tail end....I guess the market follows the money....

2 hours ago, J van E said:

Project D is the 'new' Dovetail flight sim.

I suppose many of you are wealthy and can afford to purchase whatever comes up in its many iterations.  Sorry, but I can't.  However, if I never buy another scenery or aircraft, I have enough nice places to fly that will last the rest of my life and then some.  So, yes.  FSXSE, I am sure.  It won't be dead after Dovetail.  You might not realize it, but there are a lot of people still flying FS9 and purchasing products for it.   

Wait a minute, don't tell me that we need to update all of our add-ons to a new 64-bit simulator? ;) 

Just kidding, this roadmap looks outstanding and while 2016 has been fantastic already with P3D, ORBX and many more add-ons doing there joint magic better than ever, I am sure that future great products will keep on pushing the boundaries and surprise us in many more ways. Happy Christmas to you all, and best wishes for the forthcoming new year. I, for one, am very excited about the news of LC for Latin America and, who knows, maybe some new ORBX airports in Rio, in La Paz, Bogota and above the Nazca lines of Peru. Great stuff!

7 hours ago, spiffy_malice said:

I'm an FSX-only Orbx user, but from upthread comments it sounds like if I did fly P3D I'd have to re-buy my regions to use them there, is that right?  I thought they were compatible for both so you could re-use your license for regions/LC/iarports for both.  I thought eventually with a new 64-bit ready PC, I could buy and port all my stuff to P3D, but I guess I couldn't afford to fly anything other than FSX if that's the case.

Spiffy you need to catch up! Grab some coffee's, do some reading instead of flying.  All Orbx products work in FSX/P3Dv1,2,3.  Their old and new system provides for installers that work to put everything in its correct place. AND, you don't have to pay extra at this point. Somehow I think that's going to change though.  However a developer would be loose a few screws if they charge the full price again for their product to be made compatible with another variant of a sim, now a new sim that's another matter. 

There is only a relatively small theater of folks who are "into" this hobby" and only so much money.  Developers need to find ways to offer up products that might be costly to develop and get a fair return for that risk.  I a big fan of "bundles".  And what I have often called the MacDonald hamburger approach...and that is selling more  hamburgers at a lower price will reward you with the same total return as less burgers at a higher price simple because at the lower price more will be sold and less at the higher price.  Actually is all part of understanding macro economics and macro economic theory, supply and demand and how to shift those factors by policy decisions.

My local golf course example.  Two people, nine holes, walking $62 bucks. Price $31 per 9 hole round (call this a one sim product at a time).  Buy a five day pass, five rounds (of 18), walking $170.  And the 18 holes can be split into 10 rounds of nine holes. Price per 9 hole round $17 (call this five or 10 products at at time).  So I buy the passes, they get their money upfront, they guarantee I'll be back, they get ongoing business and their golf course if full. Simple really.  And they are making good money. Cable company's do this all the time with "bundles".

Just saying

Exciting times indeed !

With the release of the monster Kaby Lakes running up to 4.5GHz stock speeds and now the announcement of new 64 bit platforms .... patience in delaying new system builds is finally being rewarded on both ends.  Now one can finally have a top end system with a top end sim platform in one package, hopefully making VAS management, stutters and OOM's a thing of the past.   

Maybe now we can have our cake and eat it too !     

For those of you who posted above about Africa, here's some info.  While waiting for Orbx, you can combine Global Base with scenery tech landclass along with Orbx Vector and you have a very nice looking continent.  There are many nice freeware airports and other scenery available.  Also there a company called Rolling Cumulus who puts out bush flying programs and has some for Africa.  

11 hours ago, Geezer said:

For those of you who posted above about Africa, here's some info.  While waiting for Orbx, you can combine Global Base with scenery tech landclass along with Orbx Vector and you have a very nice looking continent.  There are many nice freeware airports and other scenery available.  Also there a company called Rolling Cumulus who puts out bush flying programs and has some for Africa.  

Thanks..will look into that....

11 hours ago, sim123 said:

hello Peter

Africa is not a forgotten continent, there are new sceneries on the horizon like johannesburg , Lagos, Mombasa

kigala, Nairobi and kilomanjaro are already available.

but I can agree with you is all a money issue.

Thanks for the info! Eagerly awaiting some coverage..

Archived