Orbx 2017 Roadmap

John Venema

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course I will come along for the ride. I've been on this ride since July of 2008, so why on Earth would I jump off now...not a chance! That is one exciting looking roadmap indeed. Sure looks like more flight simming goodness coming. Happy happy, joy joy :)

Thanks for the update John and to everyone at Orbx, thanks for all of your hard work and I hope you all have time to enjoy the holidays and enter the new year refreshed. As a personal note, I think the new FTX Central v3/Orbx Direct is an outstanding piece of work and has greatly simplified my simming experience.

Regards,

Ken

Key words - "IT WILL BE 64-bit", "and IT'S 64-bit" A, D, P, X, O

Project X-Plane ? "Oh, and it's 64-bit". X-plane is already 64-bit and so is Aerofly. Maybe you forgot Aerofly is 64-bit since Project A sounds more like a Aerofly.

Projects:

A-erofly

D-ovetails

P-3D

X-Plane

O-rbx, I guess...

This is exciting ! I am looking fwd to some X-plane regional scenery and airports !

This is all really nice.  But social security will go up only .3% in 2017.  

I recall that when 64 bit was discussed several months ago, the downside was that all Orbx products would need to be repurchased in order to take advantage.  I wonder if this is still true or if some sort of compatibility will be included.

After reading all this great news I'm almost giddy!  And not because I get to test it, but it is all just so very exciting!   Looks like a VR set an new video card is in the works.  Now if I can only get FSX installed again........

Merry Christmas to all that celebrate this day and a great New Year coming up too!

Great news John and team. I've been on an extended flight sim break, have uninstalled both xplane and P3D. Bought the early adopter Aeroflyfs, its very impressive even at its still early stage. So really hoping the team goes that way. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

...this can only be XP. But didn't you, JV, once say, that ORBX would never develop anything for X- Plane? Our former chancellor Konrad Adenauer was famous in saying: "what can I do, I just got wiser over time"

Actually Adenauer didn't phrase is that politely. He allegedly said: "Why should I care about the rubbish I talked yesterday?" :D :ph34r:

I love all the news especially seeing as most of the new stuff project-wise appears to be in 64bit.

However.... I am now slightly reticent to make further purchases until I understand the compatibility aspect of my current multitude of Orbx sceneries (currently 64+). I am sure that what I have now will NOT be compatible with 64 bit. I know that I can always keep for example my P3D and FTX sceneries as they are now, but unfortunately I am not one of those people that keeps "old" stuff if the new is so much better ! I tried P3D and dumped FSX within 48 hours never to return to it because, for me anyway, P3D was much better in many aspects.

Unfortunately I don't have a bottomless pit of money as I am retired and currently spend most of my spare money on Flight Sim addons, mainly Orbx due to their quality, price and support.

I would like to know if there is, as I suspect a probable incompatibility scenario so I can make a judged decision regarding buying more orbx products for the current P3D or to hold back so I have money to spend on any new 64 bit sim that Orbx will have their high quality addons developed for. Do current 32 bit sceneries require a complete rework to be compatible with 64 bit or can they be "jigged" in some way resulting in only a modest cost to update an existing 32 bit scenery to 64 bit for those of us with the 32 bit sceneries?

I am in a quandary and look for a definitive answer. A yes or no to the compatibility question is not going to give away any development secrets.

Thanks for listening and I hope I can get a response.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it, and I for one look forward to a great New simming Year

There's only one issue for us old ORBX buffs buying any single scenery so far: How can we keep to that habit in view of 4 (four) platforms, whichever they will be...? :unsure:

Kind regards, Michael

Many thanks to JV for the high quality preview of an exciting year ahead of us all. Also many congratulations to everyone at Orbx for giving us such an exciting ride during 2016.

I too am interesting in hearing of the challenges/expenditures ahead for us as we transition to 64-bit.

I'm up for it all!

A merry Xmas to everyone.

3 hours ago, pmb said:

There's only one issue for us old ORBX buffs buying any single scenery so far: How can we keep to that habit in view of 4 (four) platforms, whichever they will be...? :unsure:

Kind regards, Michael

I have all 4 sims and each have their strengths and weaknesses, for what it's worth Orbx took FSX and worked on a weakness and turned it into a strength. So you can bet whichever way you choose to fly it will be getting a work over by the Orbx team.

it appears that Flight Sims are making a bigger impact than ever before, we are going to be spoiled rotten.

Many thanks for sharing those interesting plans. Surely everyone should find something worthwhile and exciting for themselves.

I wish you every possible success in making it happen.

I also wish that you can afford to keep reasonable prices so we can afford to keep on buying things (so you can afford to keep on developing them etc.).

23 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

I have all 4 sims and each have their strengths and weaknesses, for what it's worth Orbx took FSX and worked on a weakness and turned it into a strength. So you can bet whichever way you choose to fly it will be getting a work over by the Orbx team.

it appears that Flight Sims are making a bigger impact than ever before, we are going to be spoiled rotten.

That's a splendid idea. I actually have three of the four too and might even get DTS in the next year.

However, to afford the quadruple set of addons I own for Prepar3d now, I would have to convince my clients to pay the quadruple amount of Euros which I am not sure they will agree to.

Kind regards, Michael

4 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

I am sure that what I have now will NOT be compatible with 64 bit.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Sceneries can usually run in either environment 32 or 64 bit. What needs reprogramming is everything dependent on dll's and gauges.

So your 32 bit Aicraft won't work in a 64 bit environment-

Hi, wonderful news - as usual -, for the year to come. But, if you really "love the mountains" as stated in your announcement, your next regions had to be at the least Switzerland, or Austria or Italy (last of the list, not to seem a one-sided for Italy, of course).

:lol:

Thanks John, very exciting but I'm torn.  Having spent a small fortune on planes and scenery I'm now hesitant to buy anything.  If P3D goes 64 bit I know Orbx can modify the scenery but it'll break every last plane I know and then what, fly with default planes?

I love your cryptic announcement and everyone's theories, they seem like good possibilities. 

Well, it's wait and see I guess.  Wish I had more detailed information to base my buying decisions on.

Anyway, I hope you and the Orbx  team have a very Merry Christmas and prosperous New  Year!

John thank you very important information about the next products Orbx for year 2017
Thank you that I can take part in testing a new sales system through orbdirect and to form a central v3.
In the following year 2017 I wish you every success for Orbx, new quality products as indicated in its Roadmap.
Finally, I wish for you and your family as well as for all workers and for Orbx fellow pilots beautiful undisturbed Christmas 2016 and Happy New Year 2017th

Sincerely

Karoly

What a bunch of guesses as reaction on this promising posting...I should say: wait and let you surprise...until release of a mature new development is ready for use....by us, the ever growing community of (virtual)flying enthousiasts of the Orbx-FTX products. The most interesting overal 'item': the application of 64bit-platform(s).

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks John, very exciting but I'm torn.  Having spent a small fortune on planes and scenery I'm now hesitant to buy anything.  If P3D goes 64 bit I know Orbx can modify the scenery but it'll break every last plane I know and then what, fly with default planes?

I love your cryptic announcement and everyone's theories, they seem like good possibilities. 

Well, it's wait and see I guess.  Wish I had more detailed information to base my buying decisions on.

Anyway, I hope you and the Orbx  team have a very Merry Christmas and prosperous New  Year!

Not to fear Jack, the default aircraft in these sims are now above the baseline that used to be what FSX and XPlane gave you.

the default 172 in Xplane 11 is a work of art and flys as realistic as it gets, they have about 6 others which are also right up there, even a chopper, what XPlane 11 needs is the scenery fixed, dawn dusk night look great but there plausible world needs the Orbx touch for daytime. I have lost count of the aircraft I purchased over the years and don't even have installed now, instead I replace with better ones, and in the next gen sims believe me the add on aircraft will blow you away, add a rift and being able to reach out with your hands and click all those knobs and switches, it will be like having a completely functional 3D cockpit you can sit in, maybe even walk down the back of the aircraft and take a leak, all 3D and touchable, air sickness tablets.

As you move on to these new sims everything just gets more immersive.

Buckle up Jack were all in for one hell of a ride.

8 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

I love all the news especially seeing as most of the new stuff project-wise appears to be in 64bit.

However.... I am now slightly reticent to make further purchases until I understand the compatibility aspect of my current multitude of Orbx sceneries (currently 64+). I am sure that what I have now will NOT be compatible with 64 bit. I know that I can always keep for example my P3D and FTX sceneries as they are now, but unfortunately I am not one of those people that keeps "old" stuff if the new is so much better ! I tried P3D and dumped FSX within 48 hours never to return to it because, for me anyway, P3D was much better in many aspects.

Unfortunately I don't have a bottomless pit of money as I am retired and currently spend most of my spare money on Flight Sim addons, mainly Orbx due to their quality, price and support.

I would like to know if there is, as I suspect a probable incompatibility scenario so I can make a judged decision regarding buying more orbx products for the current P3D or to hold back so I have money to spend on any new 64 bit sim that Orbx will have their high quality addons developed for. Do current 32 bit sceneries require a complete rework to be compatible with 64 bit or can they be "jigged" in some way resulting in only a modest cost to update an existing 32 bit scenery to 64 bit for those of us with the 32 bit sceneries?

I am in a quandary and look for a definitive answer. A yes or no to the compatibility question is not going to give away any development secrets.

Thanks for listening and I hope I can get a response.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it, and I for one look forward to a great New simming Year

Fully understand the quandary, personally I would keep P3D going till these new sims settle in, add on stuff will be a while coming out, and remember most if not all will have Physically based rendering, absolutely as realistic as it gets. Only when the new stuff is so good you can't resist it you start flying in both sims, to make everything backwards compatible is to deny the purpose of upgrading. You won't be able to fly everywhere on day one so relax and enjoy the transformation, eventually the P3D you love now will look and feel outdated. Not speaking for Orbx here but my prediction for the future is a photo real world, it may take another 5 years even 10 but that's the way it's heading, noticed how the photo real content of airports is getting larger.

cheers

Ken

What really amazes me are a lot of folks - even more on the "other" forum - already having made up their minds which "only one" simulator they will be supporting til the end of their lives.

I can only speak for myself: Let's see what Lockheed Martin - who I still regard as a very able contender - and Dovetail - in my eyes a not quite as able contender - will bring to the plate in the next year. Until then, I will enjoy Prepar3d3 with ORBX addons, which I presently do.  

I guess around the same time in the next year dust will start to settle. And then I'll make up my mind in view of knowing all competitors. I expect having to shelf out some money for 64 bit platform addons - but certainly only for one.

Kind regards, Michael 

Michael, I might use X-Plane as my main simulator, but I also still have FSX and AeroflyFS. I used to be heavily into FSX but only because of the ORBX GA airports (I loved the work of Russ and Bill Womack). I switched back to X-Plane 10 when I started developing for it, but I still use FSX now and then and took advantage of the ORBX sale to get some of the regions. I never did like P3D v2, it wasn't worth the cost for me to rebuy all my addons and then the whole case of not actually being allowed to use if for entertainment or something, I just removed it. 

Either way, I'm not and have never been married to any particular simulator, I generally don't do fanboyism. If DTG's sim is better, I'll use that more, if P3D v4 blows me away, I'll use that. The thought of getting ORBX airports in X-Plane 11 (ENNK anyone ;-)) is an exciting prospect, but we know nothing yet about DTG's flightsim or P3D v4. It's amazing we have so much choice again.

Dear Mr. Jhon

I am very happy with the news mainly by the eminent launch of Open LC South America. It was time. Our continent is very important to everyone and now we present this year-end.
I have always admired Orbx's projects, so I have almost everyone from the first releases. I wish they continue to grow more and more, in revenue, investments, quality, technology for the complements to our simulation.
I have confidence in this and I will participate in the tour in 2017.
  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

baptista

all the talk about 64bit sim, nothing about DX12, I hope P3D or DT will adopt DX12, at least as a preview option (to make use of current powerful graphic cards) till it's mature enough for people to switch to, just like DX10 was in FSX.

Ali A.

Archived