PayPal restriction - the reason why

John Venema

I dont see a problem with just storing my card details on the store, its just as easy as PayPal and im not going to stop purchasing because of it, im sure if we sit and think about it, we all have a card stored somewhere, i bet many have their cards stored with amazon.  The only thing i miss with the ORBXDirect store is the currency conversion FSS offered.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 hours ago, jd_jay said:

I dont see a problem with just storing my card details on the store, its just as easy as PayPal and im not going to stop purchasing because of it, im sure if we sit and think about it, we all have a card stored somewhere, i bet many have their cards stored with amazon.  The only thing i miss with the ORBXDirect store is the currency conversion FSS offered.

Yes, I do have my CC details stored with various online merchants, including Amazon, Adobe, Microsoft, and others. I have one CC card number that I've used online since 2008, and I fortunately haven't had to replace it due to theft yet. Using credit cards in person at retail stores isn't immune from hacks anyway (with CC skimmers, hackers breaking into retail store databases or payment processors, etc.).

As for the converted currencies that FSS displays, those were only for reference purposes (estimates) anyway. FSS, like OrbxDirect/Sprite, still does the final charge in AUD. I just use Google (as spud suggested) to get the estimated price in my currency and then add 3% for my CC issuer's conversion fee, when using OrbxDirect. That 3% isn't that much more than the 2.5% fee that Paypal folded into the converted currency, so I'm OK with that.

On 2016-12-29 at 3:49 AM, thokle said:

To be honest, the question is not just to get some money back. The question is if you Orbx want to loose your customers, reputation and money! I read so many things about Orbx in the past and they were not good at all. It always gave me some serious head shaking.
I really (still) love the quality of all your sceneries! But everything around the sceneries disappoints me more and more!
I don't get it, why you just don't put PayPal back as payment option and solve all the issues with them at the backdoor. Nearly every online shop offers PayPal as payment option and they have no problems with it. 
I know that my comment here may annoys you, but I just wanted to write you from the heart of a customer that really got disappointed with the time.
Please think about this!

This is exactly how I feel and think about all of this. Very mixed feelings. Fantastic products, everything else: totally horrible. Not only the lack of paypal option but also the fact I have to use an extra VPN service -which I refuse- to even download my purchased products. I could live with JV's ramblings in the past because, well, just ignore them really but now issues are really piling up. Hope for a better 2017 but not expecting it.

Happy New Year! (hopefully)/Andreas

2 hours ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

In JV's original "rambling", he mentioned the account had grown to six figures.  How many of you have $100,000 you can let PP seize?

Precisely... I still don't get what's so hard to understand about all this. PP locked Orbx's funds and asked for paperwork, Orbx delivered the paperwork, PP asked for more, Orbx duly delivered once again. So, PP should've released the funds, but they didn't, even thought they no longer have a valid reason to do so.

To all those saying "put PP back in as an option"... PP have no reason to keep the money, but according to the fine print, they can do that for up to 180 days anyway, and they can do the same with any further proceeds from Orbx's sales made via PP. Would your risk that if this was your business? Or, in other words, if your bank account was seized, would you keep putting your money in it if you had a choice? Also, as some are saying they don't like JV's "rambling" and so on, but love the products... Would you be OK with the people who make them not being paid if PP decides to keep the funds until mid-2017?

Like everyone, I like PayPal for the simplicity they provide as far as purchases/payments go, but I don't expect a company to risk its liquidity so that I'm not mildly inconvenienced...

Just my $0.02...

Tym

While it may be inconvient to not have PayPal as one way to buy ORBX scenery to some, others have sucessfully utilized credit card pay,ments with ORBX for many years and I can't remember posts saying I have been 'ripped off' etc. etc.

Actually that was the FSS but if Adrian can sucessfully use it there is no reason to doubt ORBX's ability.

On a personal note its alright with me if you don't buy the software, it just means my downloads might be faster.  :rolleyes:

:inquisition:

4 hours ago, TymK said:

Precisely... I still don't get what's so hard to understand about all this. PP locked Orbx's funds and asked for paperwork, Orbx delivered the paperwork, PP asked for more, Orbx duly delivered once again. So, PP should've released the funds, but they didn't, even thought they no longer have a valid reason to do so.

To all those saying "put PP back in as an option"... PP have no reason to keep the money, but according to the fine print, they can do that for up to 180 days anyway, and they can do the same with any further proceeds from Orbx's sales made via PP. Would your risk that if this was your business? Or, in other words, if your bank account was seized, would you keep putting your money in it if you had a choice? Also, as some are saying they don't like JV's "rambling" and so on, but love the products... Would you be OK with the people who make them not being paid if PP decides to keep the funds until mid-2017?

Like everyone, I like PayPal for the simplicity they provide as far as purchases/payments go, but I don't expect a company to risk its liquidity so that I'm not mildly inconvenienced...

Just my $0.02...

Tym

+1 

I can't help wondering, what with all this pounding of JV and trashing PP, that we have only heard (part of) one side of the story...

Not that I'm bothered either way. The other day I bought 3 or 4 (forget how many) airports in two hits via Stripe/Snipe/Strike/Skype using my credit card. Smoooooth transaction. Checked my CC account and the exchange rate looked slightly better than I figured and Lloyds foreign currency charges were just pence.

Ron, several others have chronicled their smooth transaction experiences here as well.  Not shocked, I am sure Stripe works fine for all those that are accustomed to using their CC to pay for goods/services online.

I would find legal representation and sue them,vigorously..   After once you get you fund back of course, so they think twice about doing it to someone else. :angry:  suprisingly there are other sceneries out there equal to I've discovered.  I have the basics til the x64 upgrade, 

Well, you need to try PayPal in combination with an eBay sell.
Good luck if the customer tells PayPal/ eBay that they didn't received the goods or it was not as described and they sent you back same product but opened and used and they keep the new one.
With credit card I call the back and tell them it is fraud. Money is in seconds back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Ridgenj said:

Well, you need to try PayPal in combination with an eBay sell.
Good luck if the customer tells PayPal/ eBay that they didn't received the goods or it was not as described and they sent you back same product but opened and used and they keep the new one.
With credit card I call the back and tell them it is fraud. Money is in seconds back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm, that must be an anomly because I had one of those situations and it was dealt with in days on dispute resolution. :)

Archived