PayPal restriction - the reason why

John Venema

2 hours ago, FireRx said:

I'm sure this will be resolved quickly. it's the change over from FSS to Orbxdirect and the massive purchases there that triggered the "WTF" from paypal I'm sure,  knowing  that orbx had a long standing account via FSS. Their just doing their Fraud protection thing.  making everyone prove their not criminal.  I sure it will be fixed before my next orbx purchase. :)

The initial response from PayPal was fine.  It's the fact that they have a very poor track record with ever unfreezing the accounts that's the problem.  I think this will get sorted out, but not in anything resembling a timely fashion, more like several months.  We'll see, though.

-stefan

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to purchase a couple addons this morning and no paypal. I was wondering what was going on. I am sorry paypal has chosen to go this route. Hopefully it can be resolved soon as this is my preffered method of payment also. Thank you for keeping us informed.

On 12/14/2016 at 10:00 PM, John Venema said:

Please, can be be respectful to PP and not slander them in public, it won't help our case :)

To give them credit every person I have spoken to on the phone has been polite, professional and sympathetic to our plight. But they are just employees doing their job and my role is to try and escalate the review upwards to the decision makers. Wish me luck in that task!

P.S. If they do freeze the money for 180 days there is a chance we will be hesitant to provide a PP option again. Let's hope it does not come to that.

P.P.S Stripe offers the facility to store you CC securely on their server and we just add a "Buy Now" Stripe button to our cart. We are investigating adding this to OrbxDirect. This will save a lot of time at check out where it's a single button press instead of finding your CC details each time. Remember, Orbx does NOT store your CC details on our servers. If we were hacked all they would find are records of your licenses which has no value to a hacker unless he is the world's biggest FS addon collector :lol:

What about Pii Data?

JV, at the risk of another holiday I must say you have handled this issue very poorly. Yesterday I was hit by the thread saying PayPal is no longer available for ORBX products. Someone else started a thread about it but I refrained from posting but after almost 6 pages of abusive posts the thread was finally closed. Then this morning you have posted an explanation.

Maybe your original thread about PayPal should have contained this explanation. This way would have possibly prevented the reaction and abusive posts contained in the thread.

I for one will only use PP for purchases online but am willing to try Stripe if you can get it sorted. All the best in getting your PP issue sorted.

P.S. I regularly get emails from PayPal saying my account has been restricted. I consider this strange as I have no money stored with PP and only use it for payments. They give a link to click on but I ignore that as I feel it is a phishing expedition.

Pat, ignore such emails from PayPal, as they do not originate from PayPal. They are phishing attempts. Never ever click on the links either, as the site may well be a drive-by download site...

A

Andrew Entwistle

Just purchased the ENSG and KBID airports today using my US-based Visa credit card, the OrbxDirect transaction went through very fast (within about 10 seconds).

After checking my CC account online, it does appear that Sprite took care of the currency conversion, with my CC charged USD 42.69, converted from AUD 57.90.  Very pleased with the smoothness of the transaction and also apparently being charged in USD without additional fees. Will know for sure when I get my CC monthly statement.

Well, That's a bummer. 

I just recently spent a few bucks getting a "FSX PC" running the way I want it, and was looking for add-on's. I learn the very best is ORBX. And now this. Yikes. I live in Canada. I am very unsure about buying overseas with my CC direct. 

I agree though:  I'm sure this will be resolved quickly. it's the change over from FSS to Orbxdirect and the massive purchases there that triggered the "WTF" from paypal I'm sure,  knowing  that orbx had a long standing account via FSS. Their just doing their Fraud protection thing.  making everyone prove their not criminal.  I sure it will be fixed before my next orbx purchase. :)

I will wait until this is sorted out to buy FTX Global and my add-on airports. (too bad though) I was getting all exited. Good Luck JV. I hope this is sorted out soon.

Mean while, Happy Holidays from Ontario, Canada. B)

19 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

I have no, and will not ever get a creditcard. So for me, it's over for the time being.

Sir ... In your country, Netherlands ... you have option in a lot of bank for acquiring a reloadable / Refillable / pre pay credit card ( Mastercard )... 
This systéme without credit under 0, are open to all, only on presentation your ID card !
It is also safe ... can only take on the card the amount you had placed there ! 
I think that's a best option to compete with Pay .Pal .

3 hours ago, Jesse Veilleux said:

Well, That's a bummer. 

I just recently spent a few bucks getting a "FSX PC" running the way I want it, and was looking for add-on's. I learn the very best is ORBX. And now this. Yikes. I live in Canada. I am very unsure about buying overseas with my CC direct. 

I agree though:  I'm sure this will be resolved quickly. it's the change over from FSS to Orbxdirect and the massive purchases there that triggered the "WTF" from paypal I'm sure,  knowing  that orbx had a long standing account via FSS. Their just doing their Fraud protection thing.  making everyone prove their not criminal.  I sure it will be fixed before my next orbx purchase. :)

I will wait until this is sorted out to buy FTX Global and my add-on airports. (too bad though) I was getting all exited. Good Luck JV. I hope this is sorted out soon.

Jesse,

I have been using my cc for years to buy from overseas. I have had problems maybe twice in the last ten years but not once as a result of a purchase from Orbx in all of that time. I own every Orbx item except for todays new one. That I will have late today. Wait if you wish, but I am a happy guy in Ottawa.

I had no idea!  I have been very ill for three weeks and I am not up to-date on recent weeks posts just last night tried to make my first purchase. (For some reason I do not get ongoing email notifications on new topics posted like I used to, I have tried playing with the account settings but can't seem to get it working like it used to).

I piggy backed on someone else's post about lack of PayPal option.

Thank you for this clear update.

I do not envy your predicament, it all seems so ridiculous from the outside view.

I hope and trust this can be sorted out soon, I'm sure you are very frustrated by this PP action.

cheers

Bryan

8 hours ago, Jesse Veilleux said:

Well, That's a bummer. 

Hi Jesse,

I'm in Edmonton, 

I've done quite a few buys with my CC overseas, most of the time the worry about these purchases comes if the company you buy from stores your info, this can be a bit dangerous.

As far as I know, ORBX Direct does not store CC info so in this case you can put your worry to rest.

PayPal is nice, but it can also be risky like anything, you can also use a prepaid Visa or MasterCard as well.

Hope this helps :)

Mery Christmas and Happy Holidays

Cheers

Greg Z

If I have to do prepaid stuff , why bother?  Hope JV, and PAYPAL resolve this soon as I Will Not use my bank credit card for online purchases.  I use PayPal exclusively and have a line of credit with Paypal. Got burned 3 times before online with bank credit card.   You guys have no Idea what banks put you though now to get a card replacement nowadays.  They treat you like a criminal, and I been with this particular bank for 19 years with a healthy savings account.  I don't see my changing purchasing options for one vendor advantageous. I'll just wait til the situation is resolved. :)

Seems to be two schools of thought on the situation:

1. I will not use a credit card to pay for ORBX software.

2. I will use a credit card to pay for ORBX software.

Rather than reading either agree or disagree ad infinitum why not just make it a poll.  Would save lots of time and like politics no one will change their mind anyway!

3 hours ago, FireRx said:

If I have to do prepaid stuff , why bother?  Hope JV, and PAYPAL resolve this soon as I Will Not use my bank credit card for online purchases.  I use PayPal exclusively and have a line of credit with Paypal. Got burned 3 times before online with bank credit card.   You guys have no Idea what banks put you though now to get a card replacement nowadays.  They treat you like a criminal, and I been with this particular bank for 19 years with a healthy savings account.  I don't see my changing purchasing options for one vendor advantageous. I'll just wait til the situation is resolved. :)

Guess it all depends on your bank...just yesterday, I discovered some fraudulent iTunes charges on my account and called my bank, on a Sunday no less. I explained to them how I know those were fraudulent, and that was it.."SIr, we will rush a new card to you...even though you live in Hawaii, you should have it by Wed or Thur"...whole process took about 20 mins. I've been with my bank for twenty years. And, I have had to replace my card twice before in the last eight years, and it has always been a snap. I like to buy things online, so I stay hyper vigilant with my account. I catch the fraudulent activity quickly, and I take care of it quickly. Never have I had to pay out of pocket for questionable or fraudulent charges. So, it seems, it comes down to case by case, different banks, different regions, different ways to handle stuff. Bottom line is I use my bank card to make online purchases, and I will continue to do so, all the while being as vigilant as I can be with my account activity.

42 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Guess it all depends on your bank...just yesterday, I discovered some fraudulent iTunes charges on my account and called my bank, on a Sunday no less. I explained to them how I know those were fraudulent, and that was it.."SIr, we will rush a new card to you...even though you live in Hawaii, you should have it by Wed or Thur"...whole process took about 20 mins. I've been with my bank for twenty years. And, I have had to replace my card twice before in the last eight years, and it has always been a snap. I like to buy things online, so I stay hyper vigilant with my account. I catch the fraudulent activity quickly, and I take care of it quickly. Never have I had to pay out of pocket for questionable or fraudulent charges. So, it seems, it comes down to case by case, different banks, different regions, different ways to handle stuff. Bottom line is I use my bank card to make online purchases, and I will continue to do so, all the while being as vigilant as I can be with my account activity.

Your a lucky Man :)

29 minutes ago, FireRx said:

Lucky? Maybe....maybe not. Do you believe one can manufacture their own luck? Possibly. I survived four year long combat tours, so I very much believe in luck. But, I also believe in a free market economy, and being able to pick the bank that I want ;) My banks stellar customer service has been what kept me there that long. And it is a large corporate bank too, not some small local bank.

On 12/14/2016 at 1:26 PM, John Venema said:

Soon-to-be first time customer from the USA here! As I do not see an option on the check-out page to choose USD, should I assume it will just automatically charge me in my native currency? From a previous post in this thread it appears so, but I want to be sure.

1 hour ago, Plainplane said:

Soon-to-be first time customer from the USA here! As I do not see an option on the check-out page to choose USD, should I assume it will just automatically charge me in my native currency? From a previous post in this thread it appears so, but I want to be sure.

My purchases have been converted to USD with all of my orders so far.

On 12/17/2016 at 8:57 PM, DesertPilot said:

Just purchased the ENSG and KBID airports today using my US-based Visa credit card, the OrbxDirect transaction went through very fast (within about 10 seconds).

After checking my CC account online, it does appear that Sprite took care of the currency conversion, with my CC charged USD 42.69, converted from AUD 57.90.  Very pleased with the smoothness of the transaction and also apparently being charged in USD without additional fees. Will know for sure when I get my CC monthly statement.

An update.  My Orbx transaction (USD 42.69) was fully posted to my VISA CC today, and my CC was also charged an additional USD 1.28 (3%) for the "foreign currency conversion fee".  Looks like OrbxDirect/Sprite sent the original AUD 57.90 charge directly to my VISA CC issuer, which then took care of the currency conversion.

However, I believe Paypal folds the currency conversion fee into the final price, so I doubt this makes much of a difference. So I'll still continue to use my CC for upcoming new Orbx products until the Paypal option is restored.

I've just bought Meigs Field, (though I swore I NEVER would) all went super smoothly but I was a bit miffed to find they wanted my mobile number. I love the way they ASSUME I have a mobile! I tried putting in N/A but it shook it's head. If anyone phones me from Swipe/Stripe/Strip they will get an earful! <_<

On 12/19/2016 at 3:18 PM, FireRx said:

I have a Chase Amazon Rewards card.  Two days before I was leaving on a trip across the country, my card got used for fraud, my bank called me immediately, and I had to cancel it (The fraudsters used it at Applebees - an instant red flag for my bank!)  I told them I was leaving at 4am two mornings from then, and they overnighted a new card to me and I had it in my hands about 14 hours after the fraud call/cancelation.  So, if nothing else, I'll give Chase Fraud Protection full credit.  They didn't charge me anything at all and were completely on top of the situation.

-stefan

Edit: 

I've just bought Meigs Field, (though I swore I NEVER would) all went super smoothly but I was a bit miffed to find they wanted my mobile number. I love the way they ASSUME I have a mobile! I tried putting in N/A but it shook it's head. If anyone phones me from Swipe/Stripe/Strip they will get an earful! <_<

+1 555-555-1212 has served me well when I don't want to give it out :) 

This is literally a problem I had not long ago, they restricted my account asking for Photo ID and Proof of Address, both of which I provided, then received an email from them saying the proof of address would not be acceptable even though it was one of the options listed, I told them this but then they gave me a new altered list of accepted documents suddenly excluding the one I provided which was a Government Official Document with my name, address and seal of the government on it. Very shady since all of a sudden they said I had to provide a Utility Bill (which I did not own as I have never owned my own property.) When telling them this they suddenly went "Oh well we cannot help further then."

They have become very shady or borderline illegal recently, one by one eliminating all the documents I could provide until they settled on one I could not. They had some of my money in there and refused to release it, luckily I added it via a debit card top-op which meant I could still issue refunds even with the limitation so I managed to get my money back, and I never spoke to them again. Good riddance, terrible company. Move to Amazon Pay! Or Google!

I understand your problem with PayPal, but all your explanation is not suitable as far as I am concerned.

Let me put it straight: whatever good reason you can give me for not accepting PP anymore is not my problem.

You are now a multi millions $ business company and not a bunch of hobbyist sharing some almost free add-ons anymore. We all spent and spend a lot of money on your (great!) products and I do not have the feeling that you are a nonprofit organization.

You are in business, and business is business! Thus, it is your duty to solve this kind of payment problem quickly, and for me all your justifications will not change my mind. I will never ever communicate my credit cards numbers on the internet. No way! Thus, as long as PP payments are unavailable, I will certainly not buy anything anymore from your company. Sorry!

By the way, you can maybe find an agreement with the Flight Sim Store. During all the year of business with this former company, I never had a problem with PP.

Anyway, I hope that you can solve this PP problem quickly.

Kind regards

Yoland, St. Paul Airline virtual CEO

I have been using PayPal since always for convenience and security, I will not change my payment method, until they do not fix this I will not buy again in Orbx

llevo usando paypal desde siempre por comodidad y por seguridad, no voy a cambiar mi forma de pago, hasta que no arreglen esto no volvere a comprar mas en Orbx

Yoland, do you seriously expect OrbX to continue to offer a payment service that is refusing to release the funds to the business? Remember that the company has a payroll and that those employees or contract partners have families and mouths to feed... It is understandable that those of us who do not wish to use our credit card details directly with online shops and services are going to be annoyed at not being able to purchase. That is OrbX's financial loss. I really believe that OrbX is doing everything they can to resolve the situation for their business and for us as customers. As I understand it, the longer the issue drags on, the less likely it will be that PayPal will be reinstated as a payment option, more to my detriment, as I am also exceptionally unhappy with having to use yet another payment gateway. I don't even use my credit card via PayPal currently and do not have money "stored" on my PayPal account.

I just hope, no doubt like everyone else here, that the whole mess is resolved sooner rather than later. But personal attacks on OrbX are simply unfair and without substance.

A

The more I think about this mobile phone number thing the angrier I get! How on earth is a mobile number a security guarantee?  555-555-1212, good idea. Oh, I've just changed my mobile provider. The number they've given me is 555 555 2323. I guess I'll have to use that in future. 

It is my guess that this whole PayPal fiasco is due to the global political situation. PayPal are under obligation to ensure that their clients are not using them as a gateway to finance terrorism or drug trafficking. The line of business Orbx are involved in - creating and selling computer graphics in the form of scenery for flight simulation - is not exactly understood by the public at large, who are not familiar with flight simulation. The sudden spike in revenue as a result of Orbx taking on the retailing as well, the end of year sales and the release of a number of very desirable new products, sounded an alarm to which Paypal were obliged to respond. As I said at the beginning this is jut a guess on my part although references to PayPal's obligation to investigate such possibilities are actually spelt out in their Terms and Conditions. I am one of those who is devastated by not being able to buy but I am very anxious that neither Orbx nor PayPal should be attacked for what is happening

After reading John´s post again

and the other post here

http://prusaprinters.org/warning-businesses-never-use-paypal-primary-payment-method/?utm_source=Prusa3D.com&utm_campaign=a490210fd7-mk2_mmu_cz&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4199f6d18b-a490210fd7-123200581&goal=0_4199f6d18b-a490210fd7-123200581

i decided to support you guys at ORBX a bit and purchased KBID and ENSG with my CC.

Unbelievable what PayPal is doing with the business partners.

Mike

8 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

The more I think about this mobile phone number thing the angrier I get! How on earth is a mobile number a security guarantee?  555-555-1212, good idea. Oh, I've just changed my mobile provider. The number they've given me is 555 555 2323. I guess I'll have to use that in future. 

Next thing you know they'll require a picture of the Chelmsford chimney!

-stefan

13 hours ago, shortspecialbus said:

Next thing you know they'll require a picture of the Chelmsford chimney!

-stefan

This made me LOL. I think a little pee come out too.

Thanks for the assurances John. I guess PayPal are under huge external pressure not to be seen as a money launderer so that's why they have these controls in place. But they need to get better at identifying genuine merchants from the bad guys otherwise its just bad for everyone.

Gentlemen, in a former message posted yesterday, I told you that I will not buy ORBX products anymore, unless the payment through PPal is restored.

Finally I think that I found a smarter solution to buy again great products from your company.

Therefore I asked my bank to set up for me a prepaid credit card with Master Card. I deposited a certain amount of cash which represents for me a very limited risk. Thus, I have decided to use this card exclusively for my transactions with FTX, so that no one but FTX or myself will/could have access to the confidential information contained therein.

This solution seems to me fair and safe for both parties and very convenient.

By the way, for the authorities hunting terrorists and criminals, I do not see a big difference between a bank account and a PPal account in term of control...

Most important : I just bought two new sceneries from ORBX about 15 minutes ago. Transaction was very "fluid": fast and efficient!

Archived