PayPal restriction - the reason why

John Venema

Hello John ...

Thank you for the information you have supplied regarding PAYPAL. I myself prefer using Paypal over CC transactions

since I like to limit my CC exposure over the internet. Having said that I would in no way stop doing business with you

If my only option was to use a CC instead of Paypal. Your products and services have been exemplary and I have enjoyed

Flight Simulation tremendously because of your company. I try to be a low profile customer and I do not comment so much

on the forum but I certainly keep my eyes and ears open and try to listen to what people say. I hope Paypal will reflect on the

opinions of this forum and realize that you are a very respected and legitimate company. I hope this situation with Paypal

gets resolved soon. I am quite excited to learn what you have planned for 2017.

Sincerely

Terry O'Brien

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, thank you for the explanation. And again, I didn't think it was necessary.

After purchasing over 40 addons over the years. Orbx has never given me a reason to panic over temporary inconveniences, or second-guess the company's motives.

Keep doing what you do, the way you do it. Cheers.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

Stripe is the fastest growing payment gateway after PP and it is continually rated as the best alternative to PP.

So could we alternatively pay via Stripe now after opening a Stripe Account? Or do you intend to implement this?

Kind regards, Michael

A compliance issue it seems. As I work with these things in a large bank on a daily basis I can assure you that paranoia is ruling the financial business. If so much as a cent goes through a bank to some terrorist in Somalia or Syria, the consequences can be massive for the bank involved, even banning them from doing business at all. 

Really sorry to hear about your problems John. I haven't always been sympathetic towards ORBX and yourself as customers are at times treated a little harsh (IMHO), but your commitment to making this hobby great is second to none. BTW, you've been surprisingly humble and polite after all this ORBX Direct turbulence. I hope you can keep keeping on like that. After all, in business we don't just like to buy the greatest products and services, but we like to buy from people we like - and that like us too! 

Your new roadmap is impressive and proves you're in it for the long run. Hope you and PayPal get this sorted out quickly so I can help you support your growth. 

1 hour ago, DesertPilot said:

As an example of Paypal taking care of the currency conversion itself: I purchased the ENHF Hammerfest Airport via Paypal (just before Orbx had to disable Paypal). The cost was $32.95 AUD.  Paypal converted that to $25.33 USD, folding into that the forex transaction fee.  My CC was charged $25.33 USD (not $32.95 AUD). Clean and simple.

Once some years ago, I used my United States CC to purchase a meal at a Canadian restaurant (while traveling through Ontario). My CC issuer not only imposed a forex transaction fee, my issuer also treated this as a cash advance with finance charges accumulating from Day 1 of the purchase. Ouch.  That is what I do NOT want to happen with OrbxDirect transactions.  I'd rather all applicable foreign currency conversion fees be incorporated into one final price that I can view before completing the OrbxDirect transaction. Instead of finding additional fees on my CC statement up to a month later.

I do not have a clear answer yet on what will happen if I use my CC today at the OrbxDirect store--would my CC be directly charged in AUD?

Here's the answer and an example from Stripe: https://support.stripe.com/questions/how-does-stripe-handle-currency-conversion

I have never doubt you guys. I didn't need your explanation. I'm not an insecure person by definition. 

Because of my business I have to play with money over the Net often and If I start going crazy with risk over paying or receiving money I would simply stop my job.

Paypal is one way and CC is another way. Bank transfer are nice 2.

It didn't stop me from buying ENHF yesterday with my CC.

Good luck in all that turmoil :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ben

29 minutes ago, pmb said:

So could we alternatively pay via Stripe now after opening a Stripe Account? Or do you intend to implement this?

Kind regards, Michael

We're firstly going to add the ability to store your CC details with Stripe to make purchasing much faster. Then we will look into how to implement Stripe customer payments. Give us a little time to do the R&D on this, but I've made it a priority.

52 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Sounds great.  If OrbxDirect's payment process can display the estimated final price received from Sprite in the customer's currency (USD, in my case), that'd be helpful indeed.

I look forward to what Orbx can get implemented here.  Especially if Paypal decides to sit on your well-earned money for six months, best of luck in getting that resolved indeed.  I do hope that Sprite already has Orbx firmly established as a trusted merchant. :)

Well, well impressive honesty!

I would like to continue to buy ORBX products, but the credit card seem not working with your system, albeit I use it almost daily for other things. 

Ticket is made, but still no answer.

Hope you can resolve these issues with PP. I wish you good luck!

Cheers Mutz

Thank you for the explanation John.

Lets hope that all those who jumped ship yesterday will be back on board today  once they see this post. A bit quiet today aren't they! 

Always best to hear the full story.

Good luck with this John and I hope it is sorted soon for your sakes and for those who have been impacted by the withdrawal of PP.

Thank you John for the detailed insight, now that I understand the reasons behind this sudden and, quite honestly very inconvenient hurdle, I feel a lot of sympathy for Orbx and a lot less for PP dragging their feet in this matter.

I am just wondering whether we Forum members, who are also PP clients, could mount a petition to PP, to light a fire under their ass so to speak and speed things up.

Whilst I understand that Stripe is a reputable alternative, I have a bit of an innate aversion to have my banking details stored by too many world wide entities.

In the meantime John, good luck and let me assure you of my continued support.

Cheers,

Les

34 minutes ago, hwh85 said:

I am just wondering whether we Forum members, who are also PP clients, could mount a petition to PP, to light a fire under their ass so to speak and speed things up.

Not a good idea.  Don't poke the hornets nest.

58 minutes ago, hwh85 said:

23 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Not a good idea.  Don't poke the hornets nest.

JV also requested earlier in this topic that we be respectful of PP:

JV, at the risk of another holiday I must say you have handled this issue very poorly. Yesterday I was hit by the thread saying PayPal is no longer available for ORBX products. Someone else started a thread about it but I refrained from posting but after almost 6 pages of abusive posts the thread was finally closed. Then this morning you have posted an explanation.

Maybe your original thread about PayPal should have contained this explanation. This way would have possibly prevented the reaction and abusive posts contained in the thread.

I for one will only use PP for purchases online but am willing to try Stripe if you can get it sorted. All the best in getting your PP issue sorted.

P.S. I regularly get emails from PayPal saying my account has been restricted. I consider this strange as I have no money stored with PP and only use it for payments. They give a link to click on but I ignore that as I feel it is a phishing expedition.

14 minutes ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

JV, at the risk of another holiday I must say you have handled this issue very poorly. Yesterday I was hit by the thread saying PayPal is no longer available for ORBX products. Someone else started a thread about it but I refrained from posting but after almost 6 pages of abusive posts the thread was finally closed. Then this morning you have posted an explanation.

Maybe your original thread about PayPal should have contained this explanation. This way would have possibly prevented the reaction and abusive posts contained in the thread.

I for one will only use PP for purchases online but am willing to try Stripe if you can get it sorted. All the best in getting your PP issue sorted.

P.S. I regularly get emails from PayPal saying my account has been restricted. I consider this strange as I have no money stored with PP and only use it for payments. They give a link to click on but I ignore that as I feel it is a phishing expedition.

Yeah... that's not an email from paypal, that's a phishing attack... educate yourself (I mean that in a helpful way...) 

1 minute ago, walterg74 said:

Yeah... that's not an email from paypal, that's a phishing attack... educate yourself (I mean that in a helpful way...) 

Sorry to deflate your overblown ego but I am well educated and any suspicious emails containing links get binned very quickly. I didn't get to being 70 years of age by being dumb and uneducated.

15 minutes ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

Sorry to deflate your overblown ego but I am well educated and any suspicious emails containing links get binned very quickly. I didn't get to being 70 years of age by being dumb and uneducated.

Well, clearly you still have a lot to learn, as:

1) I have nothing overblown, I told you I meant it in a helpful way

2) you clearly are not educated in this subject, as if you were, you would know with certainty if it's a phishing e-mail or not. 

So sad to see you reached 70 and not realized we all always have something to learn, and that yes, you ARE uneducated on *some things*... (as we all are)

Well...I hate to say 'I told you so' to all the naysayers yesterday, but......I told you so! 

JV, very sorry to hear of your business woes. Here you guys are, all excited with a new sales platform and process, great new scenery releases, and BAM! You get hit with this issue. I sure do hope you get it all sorted, and like I said in that very long exhaustive thread yesterday.....

So long as Orbx puts out quality scenery and flight sim addons, I will always find a legal way to purchase them. I'm not going anywhere.

Having reached the age of 62 , one thing that life has taught me is "Don't sweat the small stuff" . With all the human tragedies 

being played out daily around our planet , this issue with PP is really in the "small stuff category" . I will be a Orbx customer 

for life . I am very excited for the future of the Orbx pay site , hopefully someday we could have the opportunity to buy 

payware AC from the site . 

Cheers

John

Thanks for the explanation, John.

Hang in there - the very fact that you have this six figure problem means that you're doing something very right and providing exactly what global flight sim customers want.

FTX 3 is wonderful, and dare I dream you guys are working on your own from the ground up simulator or something crazily wonderful like that?

Keep up the good fight and keep the innovative products coming....

Steve

Good on ya John, never doubted you guys for even one second. I'm certain as I'm sure you are as well that this will all be resolved eventually.

I'm also a PayPal user and have no issue with it, but nothing will stop me from getting my ORBX!!! :lol:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays ORBX team!!

Cheers

Greg Z 

15 hours ago, John Venema said:

Etrnch call I make I am told 48 hours. But ths a week ago :)

I hope they are going to pay you Intrest 

John.

The Sripe button sounds good to me. In fact anything you do sounds good to me. I'm sorry to tell you this, but, you've got me as a custmer until they screw the lid down.

Now THIS is a good explanation! I can feel your pain and agree with the action taken, I would probably have done the same. Even being a full user and always prefering to pay things over PP, I think we can all sort another payment method while waiting for PP issues to get solved.

The only thing I strongly disagree (I don't think you care but anyway) is the way it was posted by Ed. It sounded like a rude and selfish decision with lack of any further information,leaving room to vain understanding with "it's not meeting our expectations", and closing the topic right after it. I read that, immediately grabbed my popcorn bowl and thought "This is going to be a long one!" hahahaha

Hope you the best in getting your money soon and establishing in smooth cruise flight! Your stability means OURS too!

thank you for the belated explanation.  I will not be able to make anymore purchases though unless you put a Bpay facility on your store. Paypal is currently the only method I can use to pay for the product while I am outside Australia.  Bpay may  be an option but Credit and Debit cards are not acceptible.

Ugh, I feel your pain.  I like PayPal from the customer side, but some time back when I was a merchant with them for many years with no issues, they suddenly pulled the same stunt on me and locked the funds in my account.  I don't recall the reason now, but it was unwarranted.  I was furious, especially since, like you, it took a while to get them to unlock the account and my business was taking a hit because of it.  Of course, there is no compensation for lost income/issues arising from their inappropriate actions.  So after that, I ALWAYS removed my money from them every day to keep my balance with them low and made sure enough good alternatives were available just in case.

Haven't read through all posts so sorry if the answer is already in here somewhere but how come did PP act in this way and are they even legally allowed to freeze one of their customers funds like this?!

Like many others I too find PP very convenient and easy to use but I also had my disputes with them when I sometimes bought something that was later cancelled for whatever reason. The company I bought the product from was always very fast to pay my money back and I also got a confirmation from PP the money was refunded but then waiting until I actually got the money back on my bank account...now the speed of that was everything but impressive.

At the same time when it was the other way around and me paying for something the money is always withdrawn from my account the same moment I press the 'Buy' button...interesting how the communication is so fast in one direction but not the other...

Hope everything will be sorted one way or the other!!

I'm sure this will be resolved quickly. it's the change over from FSS to Orbxdirect and the massive purchases there that triggered the "WTF" from paypal I'm sure,  knowing  that orbx had a long standing account via FSS. Their just doing their Fraud protection thing.  making everyone prove their not criminal.  I sure it will be fixed before my next orbx purchase. :)

Archived