Introducing CAX6 Ganges Water Aerodrome

Looks Good Larry cant wait to add it to Nanaimo and Victoria,I live on Vancouver Island and I have to say Nanaimo harbour is smack on.I just added Victoria Plus and I would like to add Vancouver Plus v3 but I cant find where to buy it.Is Vancouver Plus still available if so where can I buy it ?Thanks for the hours of fun. Don 

Ah, sorry. The sad destiny of Vancouver+ seems to have fulfilled:

http://fssupport.com/fsaddon/?p=2767

Any major change in the simulator version (64 bit) will make it useless even for former owners like me. And what a pearl it's been.

We only could hope ORBX will create a new Cityscape version from scratch one fone day, but I doubt that.

Kind regards, Michael

On 6-12-2016 at 3:01 AM, Larry_R said:

Maybe some real life shots taken from near the end of the seaplane dock  would help.

IMG_0181a.jpg

IMG_0199a.jpg

First of all a very big thank you to the developers and for making it freeware. My old FS days are back! Rediscovered some old waterplanes and got them working in P3D v3.4. Even the good old Beaver, the A2A Cub, the Carenado C185, the C172 and the U206g. Last one is my favorite, because the others exept the Beaver are underpowered. Also the Ozx Goose is nice, but difficult to maneuver in the water. For the Beaver you need to change the panel cab file, found how to this on the Aerosoft forum. There are quite a few waterbases in the area I didn't know. Found them with Google Earth and kmz file, they can be recognized by the green colored symbol. 

Thanks for the pictures too, almost the same...

Hi Hans,

To avoid confusion, the previously released CAC8 Nanaimo scenery has not been updated since the service pack. The new scenery is CAX6 Ganges Water Aerodrome.

It's good that you brought up the issue of Vic Plus. I'm assuming you are referring to Victoria Plus for Orbx PNW. The earlier freeware versions do not work well with Orbx PNW.

Vic Plus for Orbx PNW should not affect the CAC8 Nanaimo scenery, however it *will interfere* with CAX6 as it is intalled by FTXC3. The User Guide gives two options to fix this and yet not interfere with Vic Plus.

The issue arrises because Vic Plus has some basic scenery for Ganges.  The CAX6 scenery has exclusions for the pertient objects and files, but in order for those to work, CAX6 has to be above Vic Plus in the scenery order.  By default, All FTX region and airport sceneries are installed as a block; it can't slip Vic Plus between PNW and CAX6. You can do it manually, but the User Guide lists the Vic Plus files to disable, a better solution.

In addtion, there is at least one other Ganges scenery out there, and that would likely interfere too.

Very much enjoying Nanaimo!

A question: I have bought Victoria plus V8.0. When I am going to install this, will this not influence or mess up the new ORBX Nanaimo scenery?

Cheers, Hans.

Hi Larry, thanks for your quick reaction.

Yes, I mixed up CAC8 with CAX6, because they were so quickly available after each other (great surprise!).

I am enjoying the waterplane flying a lot now again, it was quite a few years ago that I did this in FSX with the Aerosoft Beaver.

I am confident how to install the Vic Plus now, thanks again!

• 6 months later...

Hi folks,

This seems like as good a place as any to mention that there will be a minor update to CAX6 fairly soon, v1.05.  It fixes the texture errors noted in the Mutley's Hanger review along with a fair number of other minor things including adjusting the  AI wakes for P3D v4. To my eye, CAX 6 looks a lot better in P3D v4 as compared to v3.  I will refrain from saying anything about the comparison to FSX. The update will also definitively fix the black boat problem at CAC8  that the early CAX6 adopters experienced in case there are any that have not fixed the issue already.  

However there is one new thing that some might be of interest to some that would be easy to miss.  I've included a custom mist and spray effect intended for a DHC2 but it should work for other float planes. Among other things it solves the issue of a cloud of mist surrounding  the aircraft as it comes to a stop.  This is a substitute for the default spray effect; you have to edit the aircraft.cfg to use it.  The files needed and instructions will be included in the Extras folder.  If you don't like it, the solution is simple. :)

Hi Larry,

I think the line water=  in the aircraft cfg file should look like this:

[EFFECTS]
wake=fx_dummy
water=fx_LR_Orbx_spray 

Otherwise, the effect is not visible.

Henk

2 hours ago, HeKa48 said:

Hi Larry,

I think the line water=  in the aircraft cfg file should look like this:

[EFFECTS]
wake=fx_dummy
water=fx_LR_Orbx_spray 

Otherwise, the effect is not visible.

Henk

Hi Henk,

This is explained in the instructions for the effect in the Extras folder. I purposely put the effect file, the texture for it and the instructions in that folder so people would have to read how to use the effect if they want to try it and it would not be active if they do not want  it.  This is my plea for those who might want to try it to read the instructions. For example, the effect has a custom texture and that has to be copied to the right place.

3 hours ago, Sam2299 said:

Hi Larry

Thanks for updating CAX6.

Just wonder, if works fine in P3D v4, why not appears as a new update for v4 in FTX Central 3?

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam, 

The following also applies to other Orbx airports that are not yet released. Unlike the Orbx products that have been released, CAX6 depends on Orbx ObjectFlow. Without ObjectFlow the entire town of Ganges will be missing. In CAX6, ObjectFlow controls the times and seasons when various objects are visible, and it controls the windsock.

ObjectFlow requires the ObjectFlow.dll.  For 64 bit P3D v4, this 32 bit file must be redone as a 64 bit file and this is a major undertaking. It's not done yet. The products that have been released did not need any 64 bit conversion.  The question of 'when?" has been addressed a number of times in other sections of the forum.

The reason I can report on the appearance of CAX6 is that I can see what things look like at specific times and seasons using my development files. These development files are not used in the final product.  

Hi Teecee,

The update using FTXC3 should work like all the other updates. After you open FTXC3 and choose the simulator, if updates are available for the products you have installed in that simulator, you will see one or more red rectangles in the 'Categories' column on the left side of the window. The number in the red rectangle shows you the number of updates available in that category.  

In the North America category you should see a red rectangle with at least the number 1, indicating one update. You might have more than one North American updates depending on when you last ran FTXC3.

Click on 'North America'.

In the panel on the left, you may need to use the scroll bar on the far right to scroll down until you find CAX6. It should have a  prominent red banner across the top saying 'Update Available'. Click on the it and you will be presented with the option to update.

Note: if you have more than one sim on your machine, it's easy to forget which products you have installed (or not installed) in each sim. If you don't have  the  product installed in the sim you chose when you opened FTXC3, you will not see 'update available' ... there is no product to update in the sim you chose.

Does that help?

Larry

Hi Larry,

This is your instruction in the folder Improved spray effect for DHC2:

How to use:
First, make a backup copy of the original aircraft.cfg. Very important!
1) Copy the fx_LR_Orbx_spray.fx file to your [sim]\Effects folder
2) Copy the texture LR_water_drop.bmp to your [sim]\Effects\texture folder
3) Edit the aircraft.cfg to tell the sim to use this effect:
[EFFECTS]
wake=fx_dummy
water=fx_LR_spray

What I mean to say is, that if the filename is fx_LR_Orbx_spray.fx, then the line water= (in the aircraft.cfg) must be

water=fx_LR_Orbx_spray

When I use the line water=fx_LR_spray I see no spray effect at all.

Henk

Hi Henk,

Thanks for catching this typo! (Sorry I did not recognize what you were saying initially.)

I accidentally left the file name of my test version. Hopefully most users can figure this out from looking at the file name of the effect that they copied to the effects folder but I'll probably have to address it in the Freeware support forum. Or maybe in this case it's better if one does not read the instructions. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived