active Very low frame rates near Iceland villages

Aquilam

I'm new to Orbx's beautiful Iceland scenery and while I'm very much enjoying this ambitious package under FSX Steam Edition, one thing I've noticed is that whenever flying over a village, even a modest one, e.g., Siglufjörður Airport BISI, my frame rates FPS can drop from 100+ to single digits, even in nice weather. Add some real world Icelandic fall weather (low clouds, frequent rain) and my FPS can drop so low as to make it all but impossible for a controlled landing. 

I've been using conservative scenery settings (see attached), the same settings I use for a dense payware NYC package packed with Manhattan skyscrapers, but I'm still seeing poorer performance around Iceland villages than I do in downtown NYC.

Maybe there's a tweak I've missed? My apologies if I've overlooked a FAQ regarding this.

Thanks again for the great work!

****************  SYSTEM SPECS  ****************
Windows 10 Home 64 bit 10.0.14393 Build 14393

Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz
ASUS X99-A Motherboard
32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
850w Power Supply
GeForce GTX 780 driver version 373.06

Monitor: Dell UltraSharp 27 QHD U2715H 
Resolution: 2560x1440 (monitor native)

G602 Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse
Logitech G510 USB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Saitek X52 Pro Flight System (throttle & joystick) 

display_settings.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Yes I use DX10 Scenery Fixer. Is this a good thing? 

I'll change the mesh resolution to 5m and give it a try.

Yep, I see smoke. Is there a way to turn smoke off?

When I first built my system I tried overclocking to 4.0 GHz, but then instability ensued. I wasn't sure if overclocking was the issue or not, but at that point I decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and went back to the factory setting of 3.3 GHz.

Thanks again!

I did some testing again at Siglufjörður. With clear winter weather, no clouds and FSX Effects disabled, flying low over the village took my FPS down to between 10 and 14 FPS. That's not great, but tolerable given the amount of detail in the villages (and they are beautiful!).

With FSX Effects enabled and my FPS ran between 12 and 5 FPS.

I've added screenshots. I don't see chimney smoke, so I'm not sure which effect might be hitting my FPS.

2016-11-16_19-19-13-497_disabled.jpg

2016-11-16_19-32-56-237_enabled.jpg

Hello again,

I also use the Dx10 Fixer but I don't seem to have the same problem as you do.

I see no smoke, you can replace the effects folder.

Even without an overclock, your system should be well able to deal with the scenery even if you

increase the detail sliders to maximum.

Do you also use Nvidia Inspector?

I suspect that you are not getting the best from your PC hardware.

Here are two shots at the same places with all the sliders to the right, except water of course.

The frame rate is locked at 31 but you can see a very distinct difference I think.

2016_11_17_7_34_19_988.jpg

2016_11_17_7_38_29_322.jpg

and one more just because it looks good

2016_11_17_7_36_29_525.jpg

Thanks for the screenshots Nick!

I'm using nvidiaProfileInspector.exe (it's set to auto-start with FSX and I'm assuming it's automatically configuring itself for fsx.exe, however the Profile window always reads "_GLOBAL_DRIVER_PROFILE (Base Profile)"--am I supposed to manually select "Microsoft Flight Simulator 10" each time nvidiaProfileInspector.exe starts?)

Your system has more horse power than mine, but maybe not so much more as to make such a difference. I'll keep at it and let you know what happens.

BTW, my computer science wiz son is coming to town for the holiday; I'll have him look at overclocking my CPU.

Thanks again!

Edited by Aquilam

I am sure that your system is capable of much more than you are getting now.

There is a profile, already linked to FSX.

Here is a screen shot of the main settings I use.

The sparse grid setting has to match the Dx10 anti aliasing section in the Dx10 Fixer,

you might find 8 to be a little high.

A good read of the Dx10 Fixer manual is always worth the trouble.

Untitled.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm still working on it, tweaking Profile Inspector values. I've managed to pull out a few extra FPS (which certainly helps!), but nothing dramatic. I'm seeing 9-14 FPS over the village instead of 5-10. Oddly it seems that FPS will tank over specific parts of the village, though I can't see what's unique about those areas.

One thing I don't understand is that something, Profile Inspector I think, keeps resetting DX10 Scenery Fixer Anti-Aliasing to 32x, regardless of where I set it prior to running FSX. 

I'm reading manuals etc., but still have a lot to learn. I don't expect you guys to solve my performance issues, but your tips have been very helpful thus far.

Thanks again!

Walt

Profie_Inspector.jpg

Thanks! As I leave and turn away from the village and airport my FPS goes to 30 to 50 to 100+.

If I pan in the cockpit back to the village it drops to 12 to 15 FPS again.

At an altitude of 3,500 ft. with a house or two visible I'm getting 30-50 FPS, but again panning back to the village and airport takes it down to about 10 FPS. With no structures (just terrain) it's back to 100+.

Appears to make little difference if I'm flying through falling snow or not.

Edited by Aquilam

Hi Aquilam,

Since you seem to be having reasonable FPS around other Orbx areas, may I ask which version of the Iceland demo you installed.

• For those who have FTXGlobal_base, install the (ON version)
  • For those who do not have FTXGlobal base, install the (OFF version) additional files are included.
  • For those who have FTXGlobal_base, and or FTX_OLC_Europe & FTXGlobal_Vector already, Iceland is included. (Maybe Nick can clarify if this is correct).

I'm wondering if you may have installed the wrong version and therefore have some duplication causing Low FPS over these small patch of houses around BISI.
Can you indicate which version of Iceland Demo you installed or if you have FTXGlobal_Base, OLC_Europe & Vector.

In my own FSX sim using DX9 with extremely high settings, Frames locked in sim @ 32, I flew the area T&G's for 30min doing circuits over your problem area FPS dipped occasionally to 28.9 but mostly stayed around 30 - 31.9 FPS.

Edited by Jeff Gilmour

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestion. I uninstalled Iceland, and as FTX Central 3 has no direct means for downloading the Iceland zip file I went to https://orbxdirect.com/product/ftxglobal-demo and downloaded it from there, and then I used FTX Central 3 to install from the zipped download. I then powered up FSX-SE.

Unfortunately, I see no change nor difference in FPS in the BISI area. 

Meanwhile I've taken some rewarding cross-country flights in that general area in a Diamond DA40. I then flew a TBM 850 from BISI to BIHU (no FPS issues at BIHU, but then no village). Overall, Iceland's scenery is outstanding! Flying low over the snow is like sleigh ride. Again, awesome work!

Edited by Aquilam

FYI, I recently purchased Orbx's beautiful Norway scenery and I'm happy to report that thus far I'm getting a steady 30-40 FPS over airports, villages, and terrain. Fantastic product!

Edited by Aquilam

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you guys sound like you get a lot higher frames per second than me.

Its quite normal for me to be pushing 20 but usually 10-15.   even have as a low as 5 when trying to take off from a busy airport. however i do literally have everything maxed out including traffic cars and boats. perhaps i should look up a teweaking guide.  .:huh:

However I do have Iceland and even my system doesn't cripple over the villages

For what it's worth I increased my CPU clock from 3.3 to 4.2 MHz and the result is 2-3 extra FPS over certain Iceland villages. 

****************  SYSTEM SPECS  ****************
Windows 10 Home 64 bit 10.0.14393 Build 14393

Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 4.2 GHz
ASUS X99-A Motherboard
32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
850w Power Supply
GeForce GTX 780 driver version 373.06

Monitor: Dell UltraSharp 27 QHD U2715H 
Resolution: 2560x1440 (monitor native)

G602 Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse
Logitech G510 USB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Saitek X52 Pro Flight System (throttle & joystick) 

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Sorry to butt in too!, I have FSX Gold, the old Iceland Demo was a joy to fly, never had any problems with FPS at all, steady 30, since downloading FTX Central 3 and update this has nose dived to around 6 FPS over villages and some ends of certain airfields, I do not run DX10!!, has it got a bug do do you think?, I have the same issues with not flat water which has been report, and in the same place, and stop motion photograph too!, I completely understand that this is a free gift to us and commend your efforts to show off such a wonderful product, but if I buy Orbx Scenery and it does the same it will be unplayable.

Cheers and thank you for your work!

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply, I do indeed have two SSD in RAID 0, I've never had trouble with Iceland Demo before, it was updated to 1.10 some time ago, all fine, trouble started with FTX Central V3 and Iceland Demo upate 1.15!, FPS down to 6 over villages when it use to be a steady 30?, yet the Tasmania and North America Demo's are running fine at 30 FPS?, totally baffled!