OrbxDirect and FTXCv3 FAQ - add feedback here

John Venema

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up

Q17: My internet connection is painfully slow for downloading ORBX stuff, so what I usually do is download them to my tablet overnight and then move the zip files to my simming PC before validating/installing them. Can I still do that?

16 minutes ago, Juanvito said:

Q17: My internet connection is painfully slow for downloading ORBX stuff, so what I usually do is download them to my tablet overnight and then move the zip files to my simming PC before validating/installing them. Can I still do that?

Yes, you will be able to download the .zip file from anywhere. Then, when you copy it to your sim PC, you will need to ensure that it has an internet connection for the install process.

1 hour ago, Ben McClintock said:

Yes, you will be able to download the .zip file from anywhere. Then, when you copy it to your sim PC, you will need to ensure that it has an internet connection for the install process.

Thanks for the info, the way the Q&A was phrased scared me a bit.

34 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Will you be organised enough for my family to be able to buy for me ORBX Christmas presents , with a facility to print a gift token ??

Q24 Can I buy vouchers or gift card for family members?

A24 We do plan to provide this feature but unfortunately not in time for this xmas season. A solution would be to ask your relatives to give you an IOU or cash in lieu of a voucher.

Q20, all install packages from FSS are no longer usable if you move to Central V3. So I have just begun deleting all my old Orbx install files, a lot of files. This should end up saving me space and time, looks good. I also see that P3DV4 will not be a free update, perhaps this is an unintended hint that V4 will be 64 bit. In another week I should have Central V3 loaded, and be installing a number of products with P3DV3 installers, and will be making my first purchase, under the new system, Innsbruck, or perhaps the French Riviera!

I will also start looking at a full system backup, at regular intervals.

Forgive me for this, but I have a mass of zips that I got from the FSS.. from what I read here, I am assuming that they will no longer work .. and that I will have to re DL them all..and unless Orbx has a magic wand, we are talking days or weeks of re downloading, as my internet is extremely slow even with a download manager, and  will cost me quite a lot of money.. it this correct? Teecee.

Teecee, as far as I know they will still work and will be recognized by V3.  You want to have all of your your products on Orbx Direct but you should not have to download anything unless there is a major update or you purchase something new. 

Mike

Quoting JV in reply to Q20, in part:  "A20 If you have NOT yet transferred your FSS licenses to Orbx, you can still use your archived FSS installers. If you HAVE transferred your licenses the FSS installers will no longer work and you will need to re-download all the Orbx products from our CDN or direct server again."  This seems clear to me at least.  If you transfer your FSS licenses to OrbxDirect, the old installers will not work.

2 hours ago, teecee said:

Forgive me for this, but I have a mass of zips that I got from the FSS.. from what I read here, I am assuming that they will no longer work .. and that I will have to re DL them all..and unless Orbx has a magic wand, we are talking days or weeks of re downloading, as my internet is extremely slow even with a download manager, and  will cost me quite a lot of money.. it this correct? Teecee.

If you don't have to reinstall all your system (PC) from scratch, you don't have to re download all again. Your sim and all your ORBX sceneries are already installed on your PC and will still running on your PC.

I have five pages of purchases at the FSS, so it looks like I will have to stay with the them. I tend to have to reinstall on a fairly regular basis (older system) and to be honest I have little interest in upcoming scenery as I have most of the areas that I fly regularly pretty well covered.. the only thing I will miss out on are the upcoming North American airports. and of course Central V3 and the Australian update (I am hoping that things at Orbx may have changed by the time Aus comes out)... I find it hard to understand why,  if JV is going in to marketing, he makes it impossible for people like me to buy from him.  .. Teecee.

PS: Of course, I may have the wrong end of the stick here, and be mistaken in what I believe is happening.. this is what happens when you get old, thinking capacity reduced, memory almost gone.

With regard to the purchase orders, will the fss purchase orders be moved as they are from the FSS store to the Orbx Direct store or will they get new codes during the transfer?

Also, is there a way to get a text file of all of our purchase orders from the Orbx Direct store, instead of having to go through them one by one and posting them in our signature? I don't update my signature immediately after purchasing and do so every few months, so it would be nice if our store account could just give us the entire list to place in our signatures.

7 hours ago, teecee said:

I have five pages of purchases at the FSS, so it looks like I will have to stay with the them. I tend to have to reinstall on a fairly regular basis (older system) and to be honest I have little interest in upcoming scenery as I have most of the areas that I fly regularly pretty well covered.. the only thing I will miss out on are the upcoming North American airports. and of course Central V3 and the Australian update (I am hoping that things at Orbx may have changed by the time Aus comes out)... I find it hard to understand why,  if JV is going in to marketing, he makes it impossible for people like me to buy from him.  .. Teecee.

PS: Of course, I may have the wrong end of the stick here, and be mistaken in what I believe is happening.. this is what happens when you get old, thinking capacity reduced, memory almost gone.

Terry old mate, we go back a long way so, please .... 

You have everything installed, so just continue to use the sim as you do. If and when it comes time to re-install - do it in chunks, not all at once. You're an old man, surely patience is a thing that you posses by now? Stop over-thinking everything and looking for problems where there are none.

Have you thought about how we may react to you posting that you don't intend to purchase any more Orbx products? You expect a kind word, sympathy, encouragement? Or are you just bored and posting for the sake of it?

9 hours ago, Juanvito said:

One more thing, how long does it take to transfer from FSS?

It's almost instant. The only thing that may take time is your interaction with the FSS website and the exchange of confirmation emails etc. But it's generally a painless and quick process.

Those FAQs look very comprehensive, thank you.

Two questions, though:

• Should A5 read 'developers' instead of 'vendors'?
  • What are your plans for authorized box retailers? In Germany, for example, Aerosoft has stopped selling ORBX boxes, but as of now, flightandfun is continuing to do so. Seeing that you will offer cross-licences just like FSS has done, I would assume that the boxes will remain on (sellout) offer?

Yes you can move you

1 hour ago, sim123 said:

Have not read an answer about question Q3 , can you move from FSS to Orbx directstore  also in 2 or 3 months after 1st of nov 2016

or is there a time limit when you should move your current orbx licenses from FSS ?

You can transfer any time you want, there's no deadline or ticking clock.

1 hour ago, olli4740 said:

Those FAQs look very comprehensive, thank you.

Two questions, though:

• Should A5 read 'developers' instead of 'vendors'?
  • What are your plans for authorized box retailers? In Germany, for example, Aerosoft has stopped selling ORBX boxes, but as of now, flightandfun is continuing to do so. Seeing that you will offer cross-licences just like FSS has done, I would assume that the boxes will remain on (sellout) offer?

Edited A5, thanks for the tip!

We don't control DVD box products being sold by vendors around the world. We sold the remaining DVDs in our warehouse to Aerosoft some years ago and they have obviously distributed these to other resellers around the place. Regardless, any DVD can be upgraded to a digital copy using our new DVD crossgrade service we are establishing soon.

I would assume that long term all DVD products would have been crossgraded to a digital license on OrbxDirect.

Added new Q:

Q37 If I open an OrbxDirect account does it mean I must transfer my FSS licenses imediately? Can I purchase from OrbxDirect and still keep my old Orbx licenses at FSS?

A37 No, you don't need to transfer your Orbx licenses from FSS when you open a new OrbxDirect account. You can do the transfer anytime you like, there's no pressure. If you purchase new Orbx products from OrbxDirect you can still keep your old Orbx products in FSS and use those old installers etc.  However, the moment you choose to transfer your licenses to OrbxDirect, all the old FSS wrapper installers will cease to work and you'll need to use our new installers. If you don't need to re-install anything then there is no need to download new installers from OrbxDirect until you need them.

Dang! I think that will make a lot of folks happy. I have a fast connection without a cap (...yet) and I am indeed just about to install Prepar3d + ORBX + ... from scratch on a brand new system. I'll certainly use the new installers from point zero saving them once and for all being done with that 

However, I understand there are quite a number of people on limited bandwiths, and I have been suffering slow connections long enough to feel with them.

Kind regards, Michael 

Q33 re backups:  If I 'download and install now and make a backup for later', and then a patch or two are released, will FTXC3 either update my backup (if its still where FTXC3 put it on my machine) or provide the updated files so I can add them to my backup?

and will a DVD backup service be offered like FSS has for those with slow internet?

@ JV. " Have you thought about how we may react to you posting that you don't intend to purchase any more Orbx products? You expect a kind word, sympathy, encouragement? Or are you just bored and posting for the sake of it?"

No John, Not bored, worried. I have spent a lot of money with Orbx over the years, and to find that all my downloads would be worthless under Orbx's new regime is a shock.

As you point out, I am an old guy, and I am on a limited budget, which leaves me with no option but to stay with the FSS.. insulting me might make you feel good, but I think I made a valid point. Teecee.

PS: if this gets me blocked, so be it.

2 hours ago, sightseer said:

Q33 re backups:  If I 'download and install now and make a backup for later', and then a patch or two are released, will FTXC3 either update my backup (if its still where FTXC3 put it on my machine) or provide the updated files so I can add them to my backup?

and will a DVD backup service be offered like FSS has for those with slow internet?

You won't get an updated download ZIP file unless you manually choose to do so. I can assure you it will be quicker to restore from a ZIP and then patch it than to re-download an entire new ZIP file.

Regarding DVDs, please read the FAQ more carefully:

Q15 What about all my boxed DVD products I have on the shelf? How can I convert or crossgrade them to digital licenses?

A15 We will be offering a DVD-to-digital cross grade service from OrbxDirect very soon, we have hired an admin staff to handle these requests and there will be a dedicated email address you will use to send proof of DVD ownership etc. More information soon!

47 minutes ago, teecee said:

@ JV. " Have you thought about how we may react to you posting that you don't intend to purchase any more Orbx products? You expect a kind word, sympathy, encouragement? Or are you just bored and posting for the sake of it?"

No John, Not bored, worried. I have spent a lot of money with Orbx over the years, and to find that all my downloads would be worthless under Orbx's new regime is a shock.

As you point out, I am an old guy, and I am on a limited budget, which leaves me with no option but to stay with the FSS.. insulting me might make you feel good, but I think I made a valid point. Teecee.

PS: if this gets me blocked, so be it.

I think you need to read the FAQ again. You won't lose anything that you have purchased. When you move the licences over to FTX Central you will still be able to download and install all of your prior purchases. However, the FSS wrapper installer will no longer work, only the installer from FTX Central. So, you can happily delete all of the old FSS wrapper installers. You will not lose any of the products you already own. The only cost to you will be the bandwidth to download.

54 minutes ago, GlennH said:

I think you need to read the FAQ again. You won't lose anything that you have purchased. When you move the licences over to FTX Central you will still be able to download and install all of your prior purchases. However, the FSS wrapper installer will no longer work, only the installer from FTX Central. So, you can happily delete all of the old FSS wrapper installers. You will not lose any of the products you already own. The only cost to you will be the bandwidth to download.

Perhaps you should read MY post again Glen.,. It's not the loss of products, I understand that part of this change,  it's the re-downloading everything that bothers me, and the cost involved in doing so, I purchased these products in good faith and will continue to download from the FSS if and when required, as I have all the zip files saved, and by staying with the FSS I can use them.Teecee.

will it be possible to use Central V2 and Central V3  besides eachother  so Central V3 will only be filled with new purchases after 1st of nov.

because when for example buying new releases after 1st nov , the base software needed for this is available already installed  in Central V2 and P3D or FSX

LOOKING TO THE FUTURE

I know folks don't want to think of the no win scenario. No this is not morbid. Meaning, heaven forbid, Flightsim Store folds up (ie the owners die in a car crash or whatever) and relatives shut her down, and/or Orbx closes business for whatever reason (John Venema wins a lottery and says he's fed up with the flightsim business). Its very real, its a possibility...just ask a couple of my recently passed neighbours both 66 yrs of age.  Company's come and go at all levels and so do people and Orbx is all people. One outfit closes shop and licenses are what...lost. Or both close shop, then what.

What happens to us living, flightsim folks and our $1,000+ (more like $5,000) installs when we upgrade our PC or whatever.  How will folks continue to enjoy flightsim fully loaded.  Do the licenses die with the businesses and/or owners? This question has started to bother me because I invested in an expensive PC upgrade recently and I have bazillions of $$ in download software.

1 hour ago, teecee said:

Perhaps you should read MY post again Glen.,. It's not the loss of products, I understand that part of this change,  it's the re-downloading everything that bothers me, and the cost involved in doing so, I purchased these products in good faith and will continue to download from the FSS if and when required, as I have all the zip files saved, and by staying with the FSS I can use them.Teecee.

Hi Teecee,

You can use FSS for your existing products and create an OrbxDirect account for any new products (should you choose to purchase them). It's not a "you must pick one" situation.

You can have your cake and eat it too :) 

1 hour ago, sim123 said:

will it be possible to use Central V2 and Central V3  besides eachother  so Central V3 will only be filled with new purchases after 1st of nov.

because when for example buying new releases after 1st nov , the base software needed for this is available already installed  in Central V2 and P3D or FSX

It will not be easy to use v2 and v3 at the same time. If you install v3, your existing products will appear there too (even if they are not in your OrbxDirect account). I don't see any reason not to upgrade to v3 even if you don't make an OrbxDirect account at all.

After 1st of November, we can't guarantee that a new product will work with FTX Central v2. For example, we have FTX Buildings HD coming up soon - that won't work with FTX Central v2.

1 hour ago, bvdboomen said:

Good to see that the preparation is done carefully. Good FAQ. Almost every question that I could think of is present.

Currently I have two though: Will the download speeds be good? Can it handle many requests at the same time?

The download speeds max out my connection :)

And it will be able to handle a lot of requests at the same time. In terms of traffic, we're only a drop in the ocean compared to what our storage provider's network handles every hour.

Archived