Rostock and barrel

VH-KDK

Off for a practice flight in the L-39.

The station commander has promised the two of us a beer if we can find our way back without any problems.

1.bl1.jpg
Lift off eventually from Rostock Laage. The throttle must be on zero before the engine will fire up. 1% means no go.

2.bl2.jpg

Over Hohen Sprenze and the Hohen Sprenzersee.

3.bl3.jpg

Over the Baltic, just.

4.bl4.jpg

Denmark is visible on the left.

5.bl5.jpg

Now heading back to Rostock and descending to get under the clouds.

6.bl6.jpg

Spotted this bulk carrier way below.

7.bl7.jpg

Back over land near to Neuhaus.

8.bl8.jpg

YARA Rostock Gmbh at Poppendorf. Love these names.

9.bl9.jpg

Just passed over ETNL and the fun begins. Cant slow the thing down.

10.bl10.jpg

Well, too fast on the first approach. Much better on the second although well below the suggested 80% throttle.

11.bl11.jpg

Safewly down without any real dramas. This plane is as steady as a rock.

12.bl12.jpg

The station commander is very pleased with our flying and radioed that we could have a keg of Augustiner if we liked but I said we would rather have a barrel of Laager!

The L-39 is a brilliant aircraft to fly, much to the Meteor's disgust.

Hope you enjoyed this excursion.....hic!

Really nice shots, Martyn. I'm going to have to get myself to GEN and take a look around. Strange, I rushed to grab it the moment it came out, but I've only done one trip there since. I seem to have some sort of block about Germany - probably because on my only two visits in real life I wasn't taken with where I went (and no offense meant to all you German folk here - I've been just as unimpressed, possibly even more so, with plenty of the UK places I've been to on my travels)

Stunning images from a landscape that looks very familiar to me for some reason (You were flying only a stone's throw from my home :)) .

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Poppendorf. Love these names

... if you like "Poppendorf": In the surrounding area we can also offer names like "Wobbelkow Ausbau", "Trinwillershagen" and "Groß Klein" (part of Rostock, literally "Big Small" - moreover, there is "Lütten Klein", too = "Small Small").

Fantastic clouds, camouflage and camera views here, Martyn. As well as the route description. And the refueling plan.

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

The station commander is very pleased with our flying and radioed that we could have a keg of Augustiner if we liked but I said we would rather have a barrel of Laager!

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:10 PM, RJ said:

High quality images and flight, Martyn.  :)

Cheers RJ.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:50 PM, bernd1151 said:

Superb screenies, Martyn and a wonderful 1960s jet trainer

Thanks Bernd, the L-39 is a joy to fly.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:55 PM, Voyager said:

Great ride for sure. And nice report.

Voyager

iPhone - Tapatalk

Cheers Voyager.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:16 PM, Iain Emms said:

Fine shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:25 PM, jury42 said:

Beautiful shots!

Cheers Jury.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:58 PM, andy1252 said:

Really nice shots, Martyn. I'm going to have to get myself to GEN and take a look around. Strange, I rushed to grab it the moment it came out, but I've only done one trip there since. I seem to have some sort of block about Germany - probably because on my only two visits in real life I wasn't taken with where I went (and no offense meant to all you German folk here - I've been just as unimpressed, possibly even more so, with plenty of the UK places I've been to on my travels)

Thank you Andy, I never went to Germany and only flew over the place on my way to Australia in 1981. We were meant to stop at Frankfurt but that was cancelled. We still made four stops before we arrived in Melbourne. Very different from today!

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:46 AM, Frank Schnibben said:

Stunning images from a landscape that looks very familiar to me for some reason (You were flying only a stone's throw from my home :)) .

... if you like "Poppendorf": In the surrounding area we can also offer names like "Wobbelkow Ausbau", "Trinwillershagen" and "Groß Klein" (part of Rostock, literally "Big Small" - moreover, there is "Lütten Klein", too = "Small Small").

Thanks Frank, hope I didn't make too much noise flying past. The place names are now even more intriguing with the translations.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:04 AM, Stillwater said:

Fantastic clouds, camouflage and camera views here, Martyn. As well as the route description. And the refueling plan.

Thanks Gerold, it is thirsty work flying these jets around.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:26 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Outstanding shots Martyn!  I now HAVE to fly my little Pipsqueak around my newly acquired KPSP.

Cheers Jack, have a good flight.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:49 AM, Republic DC-9 said:

Awesome shots Martyn!

Glad to see you having fun with your new toy!

Steve

Cheers Steve, will have to give it another flight very soon as I have got side tracked by other aircraft!

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:38 AM, PDX Flyer said:

Gorgeous shots and a nice play on words.

Thank you PDX, good to see you are on the same wavelength!

Thanks to all of you for your friendly comments.

Archived