Read the Manual, seen the video, done the flight!

VH-KDK

They say that this plane is underpowered but it had the strength to drag me away from GEN for a few hours.

Brought the Lotusim L-39 today after some prompting from Steve (Republic DC-9) and finding out there was one the RTAF colours.

1.rl1.jpg

An RTAF L-39 near Noen Makok, Thailand.

2.rt2a.jpg

Difficult to get a decent photo as there are too many trees around and they usually keep low in the circuit. An L-39 close to Tahkli AFB.

What an interesting afternoon. Read the manual, yes you did hear that right and then watched a very good series of tutorials on starting the L-39. Took it for a flight and had problems landing as the hydraulics failed but got it down ok in the end. This plane has so many vices it is quite a challenge for some one like me who is usually a Ctrl+E flyer.

A wonderful little jet from Lotusim and all for just AU$29. Well worth having.

Many thanks to Steve for his persuasive powers.

1 minute ago, andy1252 said:

Interesting looking aircraft, Martyn. I'll have to go read up. Nice pic. Go easy on that "read the manual " lark though, you'll give the rest of us Ctrl+E guys a bad name if you keep that up.

I am sorry Andy for letting the side down but this bird had a lot of quirks and I found it really exciting trying to get it on the ground. It ended up being far easier to handle than the Meteor.

Nice plane over beautiful scenery!  I have had this since it came out.  First in FSX now in P3D.  I guess I'll have to be taking it out for a spin more often.  Beware the "coffin corners!"  Like so many people said this bird needs speed on landing with the speedbrakes extended.  You just do not have enough time to spool up.  I watched a lot of YT's a while ago and saw many crashes for that same reason.  What I don't understand is why they built something so lagging in response for trainees! 

There's some very lucky guys here in the States than own one, rich guys.  What a toy to have in real life eh?

Awesome shots and purchase, Martyn!

What I like about this jet (and indeed your other jet you bought recently, the Meteor?) is that they allow you to "zip" between Orbx locales quickly - great for when I want to do Skagit to Nanaimo (for example) but only have limited time and a Cherokee or even my beloved Aztec would just take a little too long.

It's also fun to quickly dart up above the clouds before dropping back down into Orbxland.

Great captures!

Steve

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:46 PM, RJ said:

Interesting aircraft, Martyn! :)

Thanks RJ.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:02 AM, Voyager said:

Good. Nice shots.

Voyager

Cheers Voyager.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:25 AM, PDX Flyer said:

Fantastic first shot.  You made an excellent choice in planes.

Thank you PDX.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:25 AM, Stillwater said:

I couldn´t believe you were reading a manual??

But the second picture is the clear proof. Seems your holiday was a success.

Thanks Gerold, some are surprised that I can even read.

The pic was actually taken on a previous trip, not too many RTAF photo opportunities this time but what I was happy with what I did get.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:57 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice plane over beautiful scenery!  I have had this since it came out.  First in FSX now in P3D.  I guess I'll have to be taking it out for a spin more often.  Beware the "coffin corners!"  Like so many people said this bird needs speed on landing with the speedbrakes extended.  You just do not have enough time to spool up.  I watched a lot of YT's a while ago and saw many crashes for that same reason.  What I don't understand is why they built something so lagging in response for trainees! 

There's some very lucky guys here in the States than own one, rich guys.  What a toy to have in real life eh?

The slow response is something I was very careful with but getting the speed down was a big problem for me and getting mixed up with knts and kmh!

I suppose it gets the trainees used to flying a plane where you have to think 3 balls ahead of the red you are trying to pot:o

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:14 AM, BradB said:

You are on a roll with your CC Martyn , you keep this up and it's back to the salt mine for you . B):lol:

Cheers

John

Never not as long as my a*se point to the ground.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:39 AM, Bermuda425 said:

Powerful duo of shotz!

Thanks Erik.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:22 PM, jury42 said:

Very nice craft!!!

It is Jury, very nice.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:28 AM, Republic DC-9 said:

Awesome shots and purchase, Martyn!

What I like about this jet (and indeed your other jet you bought recently, the Meteor?) is that they allow you to "zip" between Orbx locales quickly - great for when I want to do Skagit to Nanaimo (for example) but only have limited time and a Cherokee or even my beloved Aztec would just take a little too long.

It's also fun to quickly dart up above the clouds before dropping back down into Orbxland.

Great captures!

Steve

Very true Steve, the flying is quick but the start up takes a tad longer. Ctrl+E apparently is a no no on the Meteor but I have not tried it with the L-39. Damned manuals.

Thanks Mark.

Well a very pleasant change of pace for me and a wonderful plane too.

Thank you for commenting  and your interest.

Archived