I'm honestly kind of intimidated by the changes occurring. Could you guys please clear some stuff up for me?

Mac_Maddog88

I've been a customer here for awhile and honestly I'm pretty used to the way things are in the FS world regarding addons, downloading them, just standard stuff like that.

Therefore it seems like a very bold move by ORBX in their new business model that's taking shape. I guess it's just the fact that this will all be handled by a service similar to Steam that scares me a bit. This has never been done before in our hobby.

What I'm worried about is stuff like server issues, something going wrong and me not being able to download my addons, that sort of stuff. Could somebody at ORBX sort of clear this up for me? I'm expecting it to be a reliable service, but as in the past, history repeats itself and we see awful launches like Sim City, Batman Arkham Knight, Battlefield 4, etc. Will steps be taken to ensure an incredibly safe, stable launch? 

Thanks a ton,

-Mac

10 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

I think if you read the posts on here about the new release and what it entails by the CEO John Venama, your questions should be answered. Derek.

As Dadtom said, look here, +303 posts to read  :

14 hours ago, Mac_Maddog88 said:

I'm expecting it to be a reliable service, but as in the past, history repeats itself and we see awful launches like Sim City, Batman Arkham Knight, Battlefield 4, etc. Will steps be taken to ensure an incredibly safe, stable launch? 

I would say these are two separate things. ORBX customers already have the software running fine on launch date. Sim City...etc was a situation where no one had the software and people purchased, downloaded and played online in high volume placing demands on the server. ORBX situation is completely different.

For me launch date will come and go and I will not even require access to the server if my flight sim is working fine, and I anticipate it will be.

The worst thing about steam imo is you have to be attached to it in order to start your game.  Every time.  The new orbx will be nothing like that.  Once you've downloaded all your scenery into your sim, you won't have to access orbx to fly.  The new system will be better, faster and more convenient.  And save a ton of backup hard drive space.

My concern is that download speeds will be slow. Currently, downloading updates and libraries with FTX Central v2 is hopeless for me. I can't imagine downloading multiple gigabytes of scenery unless that is fixed.

I agree, at least in part with JimmiG about downloading via FTX Central.  When ever a new ORBX Library is released I always access the support page and download it from there as FTX Central v2 download time is way too long.  Plus this method provides a copy on my HD in the event I need to re-install the latest Library.

As far as I understand, FTX Central 3 downloads will be based on a completely different server structure. I certaily can't exclude that will be slow, too, however, we certainly should not extrapolate from the present FTX Central 2 servers which as indeed lacking, to the future ones.

I'll be a good test bed. I am about to buy a new machine and install all ORBX  sceneries (yes, all) from scratch at the beginning of November. You can ask me afterwards :mellow: 

Kind regards, Michael

8 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

Good job then that the files do not need to be downloaded through Central. You can download direct i believe. However with Central having a "resume download" facility all should be good.

What are you talking about? IF you have a HD crash or Central3 messes it up fvor you, you must redownload everything again. If I´m not totally wrong this has been verified/explained by the staff. There will be no files on your FSS account to download.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

2 minutes ago, pmb said:

As far as I understand, FTX Central 3 downloads will be based on a completely different server structure. I certaily can't exclude that will be slow, too, however, we certainly should not extrapolate from the present FTX Central 2 servers which as indeed lacking, to the future ones.

I'll be a good test bed. I am about to buy a new machine and install all ORBX  sceneries (yes, all) from scratch at the beginning of November. You can ask me afterwards :mellow: 

Kind regards, Michael

Can't disagree concerning FTX Central v3 possibly being a different animal download wise but at the moment we are limited to v2 and it is woefully slow for downloading.

5 minutes ago, spud said:

Can't disagree concerning FTX Central v3 possibly being a different animal download wise but at the moment we are limited to v2 and it is woefully slow for downloading.

They release v3 on November 1st. You wont be downloading anything with v2 after that.

@JJJackson Cool down Jack ! I was answering a question regarding if we had to download thru Central with no other option. We do have an option. We can download manually.

This is the reply by Ben:

• I have a full download zip. In your OrbxDirect account, you'll see a "manual download" button underneath the "download with FTX Central" button. The "manual download" is a large zip file that you can download separately and then open with FTX Central using the "I have a full download zip" option.
  • Save a backup afterwards. After FTX Central has downloaded your product, it will save a backup of all the downloaded files so that you can use them later.
  • I have a backup. Using this option, you can specify a backup which you have previously saved with the "save a backup afterwards" option.

Regarding if Central breaks then I guess you reinstall Central and it will again verify your installed products.

By doing a manual download you can keep the copy for future install. You must reinstall via Central 3 as explained by Ben.

Regarding your HD crash--- I would keep your manual download copies separate on another drive or portable drive. Reinstall Windows, flight sim, etc.A HD crash is the same whether or not you have installed central 3. You have lost everything. In your case and mine our current backups will no longer work as you know, so I will be installing Central 3, and fly with my current validated FTX addons. In the meanwhile I will be downloading my addons again manually and storing them. A pain maybe but not something I worry about. I am on a 200kb/ps internet connection so it will take me a long time. But that's life.

Hi, jjaycee1, that's excatly the scheme I intend to follow. Download all zip files via FTXC3, install them via FTXC3 and keep them in a save place on a spinning drive being mirrored every week to an external drive, as I have been doing for years now.

Fortunately, I have a 50 GB/s,  soon 100 GB/s, connection without a download cap (...yet).

So that's the theory. Looking ahead what suprises reality will hold.

Edit: Sorry, that's of course 50 MB/s and 100 MB/s, resp. Which I am contend with, tough.

Kind regards, Michael.

Re-downloading all ORBX software of course is wise if you want a personal backup (don't we all?)  I just hope I can weed out of all the old FSS backups I have now, the hundreds of single files or groups of files that correct specific anomalies and folks provided files via these forums.  Not being too neat about such things they kind of fall all over the 'cracks' etc.

My understanding based on reading JV's post is that V3 will download and install each product.  Backups won't be possible.  It will be like steam in that way.  The system will be very fast.  If I understood it correctly, I think it will be fine depending on his definition of fast.

We sure seem to expend much mental energy on a future process that is not even out yet. I might add that many of us are automatically assuming that this new process will not work better, that it can't work better etc. I've said before, and I know other's have said it besides me....let's relax, be patient, trust in JV and the rest of the Orbx staff, and things will be fine. In the meantime, why don't we spend more time flying and less time being energy vampires :D 

59 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

We sure seem to expend much mental energy on a future process that is not even out yet. I might add that many of us are automatically assuming that this new process will not work better, that it can't work better etc. I've said before, and I know other's have said it besides me....let's relax, be patient, trust in JV and the rest of the Orbx staff, and things will be fine. In the meantime, why don't we spend more time flying and less time being energy vampires :D 

Well said Sniper31, this getting out of hand. Derek.

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

My understanding based on reading JV's post is that V3 will download and install each product.  Backups won't be possible.  It will be like steam in that way.  The system will be very fast.  If I understood it correctly, I think it will be fine depending on his definition of fast.

Backups are possible, you have the option of downloading a zip file that can be stored where you please and then used to install a product through FTX Central.

This seems to be a point of concern so we want to emphasize the point, FTX Central will allow you to download a zip folder of all products, which can be used to install a product without re-downloading.

There are currently about 60-70 customers giving the new Orbx shop, purchasing/downloading system and FTXCentral V3 a good flogging, all the other questions asked have been covered here a few times over:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/121100-orbxdirect-store-and-ftx-central-v3-launches-on-november-1st/

Once its all finalized there will be plenty of announcements and information

Kind regards, Tim

Archived