Nord-Ostsee-Kanal

VH-KDK

Better known to me as the Kiel Canal.

Brought Germany North last night and after a few flights I must say how impressed I am with what I have seen so far.

Flew from Cuxhaven to Hamburg earlier today and passed the Kiel Canal so I have decided to fly its length and have a look at some of the bridges that cross it.

1.KC1.jpg

At the western end of the canal at Brunsbuttle with the locks and the Elbe River.

2.KC2.jpg

The Brunsbuttle Bridge at Ostermoor.

3.KC3.jpg

Hochdonn Railway Bridge

4.KC4.jpg

The Hohenhorn Bridge carries the  Autobahn 23 over the canal.

5.KC5.jpg

The Grunental Bridge is for both road and rail.

6.KC6.jpg

At Westerronfeld the Itzehoer Chaussee road passed under the canal.

7.KC7.jpg

The Rendesburg Bridge carries the railway as well as having a transporter bridge slung underneath.. The transporter bridge is currently out of action after sustaining serious damage following a collision with a ship.

8.KC8.jpg

Every bridge has to have a height of 42 metres to allow adequate clearance for ships. The Rendsburg Loop was constructed here so that the railway could pass through Rendsburg Station (just out of view on the right)  at ground level.

9.KC9.jpg

Rade Bridge for Autobahn 7.

10.KC10.jpg

On the left is the Levensau Bridge for both road and rail. The other bridge is the New Levensau Bridge for Bundesstrabe 77.

11.KC11.jpg

The Holtenau Bridges.

12KC12.jpg

The Holtenau Locks at the eastern end of the canal.

13.KC13.jpg

Finnishing off the flight in style with a reasonable landing at Holtenau Airport.

A very interesting flight which I hope you enjoyed and is well worth doing.

13 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

13 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Excellent journey, Martyn. If you'd have the ai ship traffic installed you would be able to spot some tall ship race near Kiel, which makes this place even more interesting

Cheers for the info Bernd, watch this space;)

12 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Beautiful scenery Martyn, and I loved you pointing out the POI's!  Makes me want it more and more.

Cheers Jack, only done a handful of flights but this is a fantastic region to fly in.

11 hours ago, Voyager said:

Great ride on there and excellent tips too.

Voyager

Thank you Voyager.

11 hours ago, RJ said:

The truth is that you will never hear someone say that an ORBX product is not that good, could have been better and so on. Great shots you made Martyn! :)

Cheers RJ, anyone who complains or nit picks must be impossible to please.

10 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Awesome shots!

Sure wish I knew how to fly those whirlybirds!

Steve

Do what I did Steve, look at YouTube and find some tutorials. Takes a bit of practice but it is great fun. Did this flight mostly from outside the cockpit but I still find landings very very hard.

6 hours ago, BradB said:

Fantastic shots Martyn , have fun exploring GEN !! .

Cheers

John

I am having a ball John and I have only just began.

Many thanks folks for the great comments.

For those wondering if to buy or not, buy it. No it is not mountainous but the amount of ground features is staggering as you can see just from flying along the canal.

Archived