Suggestions for forum

Tootle

Hi all,

I've managed to get my FSX FTX scenery working beautifully (though there is still a little "pop-up" for trees and the like, that may be endemic).  The fix was surprisingly easy, though finding the information was not.

As a result, I have some suggestions and comments;

Comments

• The Fullterrain software is fantastic, but is let down by being a PITA to troubleshoot. 
  • There is a lot of good information on the forum, significantly let down by being obscurely titled, or needing to be searched using the exact phrase, often when it's the lack of knowing exactly what you're looking for that is the core of the issue.

• If it is as critical as it appears to be, to have order numbers to get support (is there really an issue here?), why not make it a prerequisite to signing up?  It'd save the keyboard warriors from needing to be so vigilant, and freeing them up to provide more support.
  • Maybe someone that has a far broader view of the common issues than I could do a "decision tree" breaking the issues down progressively, and linking these to the solutions, or the best search terms?  My random water issue was an easy fix, but I had to wade (sorry) through hundreds of conversations about how great water was, why water was running under the taxiway etc to find it.  Once I found the solution, I could hit it in the first search, because i knew what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Tootle

For anyone interested, I now have FSX and FTX running smooth-as-silk with sliders all maxed out, on an i7 6700K 4GHz quad, running on a Z170-AR, SSD, GTX 1060 6GB OC, 16GB DDR4.  Am still planning to upgrade RAM and GPU at some point, but it is humming right now.

Hi Tootle,

Thank you for your suggestions. We're aware that the forum can be a pain to navigate sometimes (especially for new users). After our new website has launched, we're looking at streamlining this process a lot.

We don't require order numbers to sign up as some users may have some questions before they purchase a product. Additionally, we still need to support our freeware software and our demos too.

The decision tree is a great idea, I'll look into categorising our most common issues and see what I can come up with.

10 minutes ago, Ben McClintock said:

We don't require order numbers to sign up as some users may have some questions before they purchase a product. Additionally, we still need to support our freeware software and our demos too.

Hi Ben,

why not simply have tiered support, where the non-payers can only get to ask their questions and view the other threads, and paying members have it logged against their profiles? There seems to be as many words used on the forum about the "please include PO" as actual support.

6 minutes ago, Tootle said:

Hi Ben,

why not simply have tiered support, where the non-payers can only get to ask their questions and view the other threads, and paying members have it logged against their profiles? There seems to be as many words used on the forum about the "please include PO" as actual support.

This would be pretty complicated to implement with our forum software (especially without custom modifications).

However, we're looking into a ticket based support system for the new website (but that system is still a few months away, at least)

7 hours ago, Tootle said:

Hi Ben,

To be honest, I don't have any issues at all with how the order number thing is set up. More often than not, the "reminder" is combined with a friendly "welcome" style message - which is always a nice thing.

Adam.

Archived