Lights configurator tool in FTX Central

Jack Sawyer

It seems that whenever I run FTX Central then fly at night the lights are now larger than what I set them to using the light configurator tool, I think it's Vector, not sure, not at the PC right now.

I always have to reset them all so I created a save file.  Whenever I bring up that little app in FTX Central the boxes aren't populated with my settings.  So I load my previously saved settings.

Is this normal behavior where it seems like just running Central or maybe Vector causes the light choices to go back to default?

Thanks.

Jack - I'm wondering whether this may be a file permissions problem <?> ... and the config isn't being properly saved. Are you running the PC with full admin rights? Or ... are you executing FTXC as Admin?

If you're running Windows 10 then I'm outta here :lol:!

Adam.

40 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

Jack - I'm wondering whether this may be a file permissions problem <?> ... and the config isn't being properly saved. Are you running the PC with full admin rights? Or ... are you executing FTXC as Admin?

If you're running Windows 10 then I'm outta here :lol:!

Adam.

Hi Adam and thanks for getting back to me.  The entire PC has been set up from the beginning to run everything in administrator permisions mode.  What I do is have the icon on the taskbar at the bottom of the Windows 7 - 64 screen and I click once on it and it brings up FXT Central and then I bring up the lights tool.

I like that, if it's Windows 10 you're outta here!  :lol:

Ummm OK then ... next crazy theory coming up!

Do you have any other scenery add-ons (like REX etc.) that may somehow be overwriting your lights config?

Also ... just double/triple checking ... when you're in FTXC, are you selecting the correct sim, APPLYING the changes and NOT clicking on "Set default values"? And ... have you clicked on "Switch legacy lights off"?

I've just re-read your post. My settings aren't populated either (I have to load a profile for them to show). However - my light settings do "stick" in the sim. I hope this slightly confusing behaviour gets sorted with FTXC3.

Adam.

2 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

Ummm OK then ... next crazy theory coming up!

Do you have any other scenery add-ons (like REX etc.) that may somehow be overwriting your lights config?

Also ... just double/triple checking ... when you're in FTXC, are you selecting the correct sim, APPLYING the changes and NOT clicking on "Set default values"? And ... have you clicked on "Switch legacy lights off"?

I've just re-read your post. My settings aren't populated either (I have to load a profile for them to show). However - my light settings do "stick" in the sim. I hope this slightly confusing behaviour gets sorted with FTXC3.

Adam.

Gosh, thanks again Adam, I appreciate your help a lot!  I do have REX HD but use it only for stuff like runway and taxiway textures, not clouds, not lights, I just wanted it to change those thextures.

Yes, absolutely not clicking on default and am clicking on applying.

I'll have to boot the PC in a few minutes to check about the "Switch legacy lights off" bit though.

Ah, I see, so your's aren't populated either?  Same here and like you I have to load a profile.  This will require some serious testing today.

Hopefully you can pass along to the devs that it would be nice if the settings would "stick" for FTXC3?

I know they have a full plate so I don't like to bother them.  I'm really looking forward to the new FTX Central, I'll be an  early adopter as I use Acronis and although I doubt anything will go awry it's comforting to be able to roll back in 30 minutes as it works great.

With these new releases like Germany and soon Innsbruck Orbx seems to have really upped their game. In my opinion, for what it's worth I think we're now getting more value for our money.

Best to ya Adam!

Jack

Are you sure your settings aren't sticking? Don't forget to clear your shaders cache after swapping profiles.

I did some tweaking a while back (I don't generally fiddle with the lights much) and saw my changes applied. Well ... I don't remember them reverting back to some previous (or default) setting in the sim itself.

Adam.

1 minute ago, Adam Banks said:

Are you sure your settings aren't sticking? Don't forget to clear your shaders cache after swapping profiles.

I did some tweaking a while back (I don't generally fiddle with the lights much) and saw my changes applied. Well ... I don't remember them reverting back to some previous (or default) setting in the sim itself.

Adam.

Well, that's one thing I never did was to clear the shaders.

As for settings sticking, do you mean as I do that when you bring up the lights configurator they will already be populated with the light's sizes and styles?  If so then no, mine is always blank and I have to load a profile or manually set them again.

I'll be difficult to see in the sim as I'll have to set it up for night and take a screen and then change and repeat but I'm going to try today as soon as I get a chance.

For all I know once it's set it'll stay that way in the sim even though the configurator isn't populated with the settings.

3 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Jack, As best as I can remember (not on the gaming rig atm), that screen always come up blank.  You have to load up a saved profile if you want to make any changes, otherwise, iirc, the profile you have saved is the one being used by the sim.

Thanks Stew.  I was curious as to why it was always blank.  I figured I always had to reset the lights.

4 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Stew.  I was curious as to why it was always blank.  I figured I always had to reset the lights.

Hey, Jack.  I don't think so, but I could be wrong.  It would make sense that the configuration is set until, or if, you make changes.  I have a couple I use--one for rural flights with few lights, and one for urban flights, where there are LOTS!  Emphasize size and brightness over rural areas and tone them down over urban areas.  But I actually like the lights emphasized over urban areas, especially at 20-25,000 ft.  Lower altitudes maybe toned down a bit.

Just to confirm: I created a pair of "extreme" profiles so the differences would be easy to spot. Though invisible in FTXC, the settings do indeed "stick" - so all is well on that front.

However - I think it'd be great if the current settings populated those fields. I'll see if I can throw this towards whoever's working on FTXC3 to see whether it's been addressed.

Adam.

4 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Just to confirm: I created a pair of "extreme" profiles so the differences would be easy to spot. Though invisible in FTXC, the settings do indeed "stick" - so all is well on that front.

However - I think it'd be great if the current settings populated those fields. I'll see if I can throw this towards whoever's working on FTXC3 to see whether it's been addressed.

Adam.

Thanks for testing that for me Adam, I really appreciate it.

Archived