Any advice on SCA? VAS usage is high.

Jack Sawyer

Hi, I just bought and installed SCA today, the last of the full fat Orbx regions I didn't own.  I set the A2A 182 on KLAX's active runway, no external weather program running.  Sliders as I always have them in New Zealand and Alaska.  Just starting at LAX my VAS was an astonishingly low 1234MB.  I took off for San Diego and less than ten miles out of LAX I heard the OOM chimes.  First time ever in P3D since I installed it in May of this year.  I had 223MB left.

So I lowered the sliders, unticked windfarm turbines, still no weather, tried the same flight again, and I made it to KSAN and landed with no OOM chimes but I only had 667MB left and started with even less VAS than when the sliders were full and windfarms ticked.  I started with 1054MB of VAS.

When I got near KSAN the sim paused for a full 5 seconds while the city populated, I can live with that.  But still no weather and I was very surprised because I always have the sliders full right and AS16 with ASCA with dynamic on and my VAS left over even after a long flight across NZ or Alaska is much higher than this.

Any ideas why this is so, does anyone else experience this?  I can only imagine trying to fly the Q400 on this route.

Also, I was disappointed to see that the ILS for runway 09 would not work, I used 111.55 and nothing.

So I guess I'll have to keep testing.  Any advice you guys who use SCA?  Could it be the plane?  Is this an inherent problem in this area like Friday Harbor and Seattle?

Thanks much.

Jack

Hi, Jack.  Really??  What did you expect?  The comments about SCA have been frequent and pretty much what you have experienced.  If you depart LAX, expect a big VAS hit, as everyone has experienced just flying over the place.  Landing at KSAN with 667MB left I would count as a blessing.  In the LA/Long Beach basin, I always fly with autogen density normal and cloud draw distance all the way to the LEFT.  Those two settings alone should show an improvement.  Otherwise, any other place except that LA to SD corridor is pretty decent in SCA.  Cheers, my friend!

Well, to be honest Stew I didn't know what to expect.  I will have to try other areas then if these are the hardest on the system.  It's still very nice, I like it over not having it.  I'm going to be doing a lot of testing using my entire fleet with different settings.  I think some planes hit harder than others.

Thanks for replying Stew. 

I'm sorry to hear that, Jack. Like Stew I also fly with autogen normal and cloud draw distance to the very left and never have any of the dreadful OOMS. Weather-wise I usually fly with ORBX weather 2. This way I can even run Aerosoft LA in conjunction with SoCal and am doing fine

These computers are really strange things Jack. Sometimes they just seem to have a mind of their own. I don't own the A2A 182 so I couldn't give that a try but I did just complete a flight from KLAX to KSAN (via KSNA and KCRQ) with the default 172 at 5000 MSL. All the scenery sliders were full right, no GA or Commercial traffic, clouds at 100mi, and the default "fair" weather. I started with 1757MB of remaining VAS on the ground at KLAX and ended with 921MB on the ground at KSAN. 

That said, last week I took off from KLAX for a quick flight to KVNY and return. That time I  OOM'd on the return leg about one mile short of the runway. Same aircraft, same settings, shorter flight. These computers are really strange things..........Hang in there.

Doug

Hi guys, just got up, been having some serious health issues.

Anyway, I use UT2 but it's already dialed down to practically nothing so I have been flying the lonely skies.

I'm going to have to keep testing to see what settings are best for what aircraft.

Oddly enough I thought AS16 & ASCA would make a big VAS hit but not at all, it just impacts frames.

I think like you guys said, AI traffic and autogen are the keys to a good flight.

And as I wrote an article on FSE about PC and flight simming, you could have the world's best supercomputers all running together and you'd still OOM.  It's just the nature of 32 bit programs.  It's too bad we have to find such a delicate balance.

18 minutes ago, Triplane said:

Wishing you well Jack.  Let us know when you find a way to tame the beast.   -   Doug

Thanks Triplane, I'm keeping detailed notes of the same route, KLAX to KSAN with every aircraft I have, weather on or off, FTX settings on or off, AI settings, P3D slider settings, and how much air is in the tires.  Gonna be exhaustive testing and repetitive but I don't mind, I always need to find the sweet spot for these things.  Tough to do when your knee is swelled up like a balloon and you're in screaming agony however.

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Triplane, I'm keeping detailed notes of the same route, KLAX to KSAN with every aircraft I have, weather on or off, FTX settings on or off, AI settings, P3D slider settings, and how much air is in the tires.  Gonna be exhaustive testing and repetitive but I don't mind, I always need to find the sweet spot for these things.  Tough to do when your knee is swelled up like a balloon and you're in screaming agony however.

I hope you're on the mend soon Jack  - that's the important thing.  I've never had an OOM yet flying from LAX to PSP, SAN to PSP etc with Carenado/Alaneo twins - but FPS do struggle near LAX.

9 minutes ago, Republic DC-9 said:

I hope you're on the mend soon Jack  - that's the important thing.  I've never had an OOM yet flying from LAX to PSP, SAN to PSP etc with Carenado/Alaneo twins - but FPS do struggle near LAX.

Thanks Republic, I'll try those routes in a Carenado which is less of a heavy hitter than the A2A's.  I like those routes.  Alway loved KPSP nestled near the mounatins.

Archived