Introducing FTX Innsbruck: The Capital of the Alps!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/27/2016 at 8:45 PM, Bushpounder said:

I just went back and reread the intro. One question. I have Global Base, and it says you can have either Global Base OR the Open LC Europe for the scenery colors to match. Am I correct in saying that if I add in the Europe LC, the other areas around Innsbruck and elsewhere will be more accurate than just using Global Base? I am planning on adding in the German sceneries as soon as they hit the store. Thanks!

Don

Yup OpenLC is more accurate than default Base and should blend in well with both Innsbruck and FTX Germany.

Thanks for the overwhelming response everyone, I have been extremely chuffed to read your comments over the last couple of days :) 

In answer to a few questions from you; 

On 25/08/2016 at 8:46 AM, Miss Clairol said:

Can't wait, just one quick question, will this include the lead in strobe lights that run through the city to the runway when the weather is down?

On 26/08/2016 at 6:05 PM, Bakern said:

One question to developer. Have RW26 lead in lights? If so, are they animated?

Absolutely - these are such a cool feature in real life, they must be included :) Pinpointing the exact locations of each of the lead-in strobes was quite difficult (as they are not clearly marked on any of the charts I could find), but they will definitely be there. For those not familiar with these unusual lights, I recommend checking out this landing video which perfectly demonstrates them in low weather. 

On 27/08/2016 at 5:40 AM, DAL521 said:

There are also some other lights, i think they are called "Terrain Obstacle Lights" this are red and have a cycle of ca. 5 sec. light and 3 sec. dark. I cant remember exactly, next time i will look at them :)

The red hazard lights are included too - very useful for night / low visibility landings on 08. 

On 25/08/2016 at 3:25 PM, f.skywalker said:

is there a release Date..............

On 27/08/2016 at 10:13 PM, sim123 said:

Has the scenery development been finished ?

for testing already in any

alpha or beta stages.

On 30/08/2016 at 8:26 AM, stoney said:

Innsbruk   looks great  Now, where and when can I get it ??

Hi guys, no release dates yet I'm sorry - but be sure to keep an eye out for more previews as things get closer. 

On 25/08/2016 at 6:13 PM, Christopher Low said:

Can you tell me if the extended coverage area includes Mayrhofen? What base areas (if any) are required?

G'day Christopher, Mayrhofen was actually my reference point for the SE boundary of the PR - it is indeed included, but some of the outer streets may be cut off. 

In terms of base requirements, FTX LOWI is designed to blend with either FTX Global Base or OpenLC EU (or both!). 

On 25/08/2016 at 10:50 PM, ps1flyer said:

But just one question from my side. Are there any plans to make this scenery compatible to the upcoming release of Flugwerk's "Austria HD West" which will be placing photoreal aerial textures all over Tirol?

Hi Markus, Innsbruck is designed to blend with either FTX Global Base or OpenLC EU - we only test with these two products. Whilst we can't offer any support for any potential compatibility issues with photoreal products, if you have a search on our forums, you will see that users have reported not having problems with other Global Airports (such as KPSP, KSEZ or KEGE) installed alongside PR products. 

On 26/08/2016 at 2:59 AM, mas618 said:

LOC 26 with circling to rwy 8 being the epic approach. PMDG had this as an advanced tutorial for the NGX. . . 

I have had this exact scenario in my head since I started work on this project. There are several key landmarks and focus areas specifically modelled because they lie in the flightpath of this (in)famous approach. 

On 26/08/2016 at 8:32 AM, FILOU said:

Is it please P3D shots?

Absolutely - once we get a bit closer, we'll start spamming the forums with shots from all sims :)

On 27/08/2016 at 6:09 AM, sightseer said:

so I have two questions:

one -  the standing water... is it always there?  is it there only when rains?  does it evaporate?  Ive never seen free standing water yet.  I wasn't sure P3D could do that.

two - the dusk shot with city lights (or maybe dawn) - what sunset/sunrise is that?  who made it?  REX? Hi Fi?

No worries at all Dave;

1. The puddles are currently modelled to sit there at all times - I certainly can't lay claim to this groundbreaking tech (there are stunning examples at other non-ORBX airports), it's just the first time I've tried it myself. In regards to weather-controlled water, I'll have more to announce on that later down the track...

2. The dawn shot is using a environment texture set from REX Essential - unfortunately it's been so long since I've changed it, I couldn't tell you exactly which set I'm using. 

On 27/08/2016 at 8:23 AM, Siggy said:

Looks fantastic! Are any of the trains moving? That would contribute quite a bit to immersion. My current LOWI scenery has that and it is nice to see "live on the rail tracks" too.

The trains are definitely animated:) I spent a great deal of fun mapping out five different routes across the coverage area - about 30km of routes in total. 

On 28/08/2016 at 9:05 AM, NZ255 said:

Hi Jarrad, will the 1m imagery be resampled to 1.2m or 0.6m?

G'day Nick, anytime we reference 1m resolution PR, we are referring to QMID 15/LOD 17, or 1.19m (in the same manner 2m=2.38m, 5m=4.75m, 60cm=0.59m etc) - this is standard practice. I've been extremely lucky this time around, in that the source material for LOWI is 25cm, so all sections of the PR (1m, 60cm, 30cm) are all downsized from the original 25cm, which always produces a sharper result for the lower resolutions. 

On 28/08/2016 at 11:45 AM, Bushpounder said:

One question. I have Global Base, and it says you can have either Global Base OR the Open LC Europe for the scenery colors to match. Am I correct in saying that if I add in the Europe LC, the other areas around Innsbruck and elsewhere will be more accurate than just using Global Base? I am planning on adding in the German sceneries as soon as they hit the store.

Hi Don, OpenLC EU will drastically improve your European simming experience over FTX Global base - have a browse through the product page for OLC_EU to get an idea of what it can do. In terms of specifically improving the area around Innsbruck, you will notice the difference beyond the LOWI "Extended Coverage Area" (see inset of my map in the opening topic) - the default landclass for the alps is a bit crude in places, whilst OLC will really make it shine. Within the extended coverage area, the differences between owning OLC or not will be negligible - you'd have to look very hard to notice the difference.

On 29/08/2016 at 5:23 PM, jd_jay said:

I can see it being even more appealing if its proven to be not to bad on the magic numbers when it comes to flying 3rd party tube liners into the area as i know its very very popular with virtual airlines to fly i and out of.

Rest assured, I am working extremely hard and using all the tricks I have learned with my other large airports (KPSP, KEGE, KJAC etc) to ensure this is as FPS and VAS-friendly as possible. Of course, I'll also be including a comprehensive control panel so that you can tweak the scenery precisely to your type of flying on any particular day.

6 hours ago, Rune Andersen said:

Is it possible to give us an idea of how much discspace it requieres.

Not yet sorry Rune; the photoreal base takes up the majority of a product size, and this won't be finalised until all seasons are complete. I'll let you know once we get a bit closer.

On 31/08/2016 at 4:16 AM, Chuckers said:

Looks awesome! I look forward to seeing some screenshots during the winter. 

Thanks Chuckers, we'll be sure to post more screenshots across all seasons as the scenery gets closer to release :)

On 30/08/2016 at 11:43 PM, Orbxtreme said:

Do you have time to sleep more than one hour a night?

No comment :lol:

Thanks again guys, much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Jarrad

First of all, thanks a lot for the detailed answers. This will definitely be a day-one-purchase for me, I just love Innsbruck and the Alps in general and this scenery looks so awesome that I'm at a loss for words. :)

Concerning Austria HD West compatibility:

30 minutes ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

Hi Markus, Innsbruck is designed to blend with either FTX Global Base or OpenLC EU - we only test with these two products. Whilst we can't offer any support for any potential compatibility issues with photoreal products, if you have a search on our forums, you will see that users have reported not having problems with other Global Airports (such as KPSP, KSEZ or KEGE) installed alongside PR products. 

Austria HD West was due to be released on August 29th but - again - postponed with Flugwerk saying that they wanted to take their time to ensure compatibility with JustSim's and Orbx' LOWI sceneries. Now, since Orbx LOWI hasn't got a release date yet, I'm not sure how long they want to postpone their photoscenery. I'm hoping they would attempt to get in touch with you to make sure both sceneries integrate well with each other or at least don't conflict (which would mean we'd have to choose one or the other) while both are still in development - it would be a waste of resources if they would wait until after release before they get to work... Since there has been at least one other cooperation (Orbx Cityscape Cote D'Azure and JustSim LFMN), I would hope there could also be a cooperation between Flugwerk and Orbx this time. Orbx doesn't do photo-scenery, "just" photo-real (which looks awesome nevertheless and in many ways superior, although slightly less accurate, when compared to actual photo-scenery), and there are a number of reasons to choose either type of scenery (at least the photo-scenery I've used so far usually is flat, has misplaced objects on top of it and looks either awesome or awful, depending on whether you meet the right viewing angle and time of day - photo-real scenery doesn't have any of these issues). I wouldn't expect a cooperation on this project right now to harm sales of a possible FTX Austria region if it would come available sometime (which I really hope for after FTX Germany North & South have been released). On the contrary, I would expect it to be very beneficial for sales on both sides. Maybe it's as easy as just supplying Flugwerk with access to a preview build of this upcoming release and they will do the rest. :)

EnQ, I second your reasoning and hope they can work something out together. Since I have purchased Austria HD East and love it so much and intend to purchase Austria HD West I hate to have to choose between photoreal for all of Austria in great detail with autogen or Orbx Innsbruck that cover a much smaller area but probably breathtaking in every way, but still only Innsbruck area. Just like Nice this would really be a win, win win situation for every party including the customer.   

Hi Jarrad, 

Fantastic scenery, will definitely buy this once it is released. Though I have another question: will this be your only visit to the European continent or are you looking for more airports to do there? If yes, could you please consider making a new scenery for Venice? It's such a beautiful location, with a medium sized airport, world famous historic city, and lots of possibilities for short to medium range trips to other high quality sceneries (Orbx' own Asiago freeware is close by, for example). Aerosofts version is getting old and performs badly when migrated to p3d and even has several graphical glitches when buildings are rendered within p3ds engine. This would really be great! 

Cheers, 

Fabian

16 hours ago, jgoggi said:

Hi Jarrad, will the Axams church be present in the scenery? It's a visual clue for right turn on final during runway 08 approach. 

G'day James, I have definitely included this :) The circling approach to rwy 08 was something I had in mind when I was making some of the landmarks, so I ensured that I included the church at Axams, as well as the church at Götzens and the large powerlines crossing the valley between Axams and Oberperfuss. I'll make sure I include a couple of screenshots of the churches in my next preview, but in the meantime here is a shot of one of the powerline crossings. 

8f5955086a0d25f3304889e8c099e91d.jpg

On 04/09/2016 at 2:12 AM, fabs79 said:

Though I have another question: will this be your only visit to the European continent or are you looking for more airports to do there? If yes, could you please consider making a new scenery for Venice?

G'day Fabian, I definitely hope to make more European airports after Innsbruck, though in which order I move to next is yet to be determined (I have a couple of non-EU airports in initial R&D at the moment too). Thanks very much for the suggestion, I'll be sure to check it out :)

Cheers,

Jarrad

3 hours ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

G'day James, I have definitely included this :) The circling approach to rwy 08 was something I had in mind when I was making some of the landmarks, so I ensured that I included the church at Axams, as well as the church at Götzens and the large powerlines crossing the valley between Axams and Oberperfuss. I'll make sure I include a couple of screenshots of the churches in my next preview, but in the meantime here is a shot of one of the powerline crossings. 

It is fantastic Jarrad that you have all those little details included, which are needed for a perfect experience of the infamous 08 approach! This is much appreciated.

The pilot in this video doesn't seem to care much about those visual clues and ist starting the right hand turn down into the valley very early. Because of this the final approach is a bit too high and the time to properly align with the runway very is short.  No idea what kinda plane it is though. Maybe this procedure fits for this type.

1 hour ago, jgoggi said:

Well, it looks like the pilot starts turning as soon as he reaches Axams village (that is a bit too much on the left), after overflying Birgitz.

You seem to know the area quite well, James. Are you also a local or perhaps a pilot?

On 6.9.2016 at 3:14 PM, jgoggi said:

No, just Google Maps ;). In the previous LOWI scenery I added in the AFCAD file a default FS church with ADE where it should be at Axams.

Ah, I see, very interesting! You really must love this approach!

In the video I have posted, at 2:27, right in the centre, you can see one of the red-white electricity pylons, which Jarrad has so beautifully modeled. Just behind the pylon, where you can see a strip of forest, there is a ravine into which the approaching planes usually literally dive down into the Inn Valley. When (luckily) sitting as a passenger at the right hand side of one of the heavy irons (e. g. 767) you'll get the impression the plane will nearly scratch the treetops with its right wingtip. Some of the approaching planes even overfly the village of Oberperfuß, which you can see in the green fields on the other side of the ravine (BTW excellent plane spotting from the local football ground there ^_^). So the guy in the video I have posted was doing the turn really early. And yes, you are right, he is too much to the right (north) also.

"5x animated trains over 30km of routes, including local, ICE and freight (OBB) types."

Thanks so much for listening on that one Jarrad! I am eternally, humbly and incredibly grateful to you for hearing on that one!!!

I know 100% now, when I see and read all of the above amazingness, this is going to be the one and only Innsbruck for me! A truly cherished scenery which is going to feel so alive and true-to-life that its undoubtedly going to become what I call my 'Jarrad Marshall Base airport/scenery", no doubt about it! To think even you have managed a whole new level of true-to-life immersion and capabilities simply bewilders me! Words will not be able to explain how super excited and ecstatic I am from reading the above and seeing the kind of scenery that is next going to come out of the house of Jarrad Marshall and Orbx! Huge support and wishes of good luck to you on a mind-blowing European scenery release!

BTW: that notable features list...one of the best and most complete I've ever read and wished for in a scenery area! Every single feature item, every word was just perfect music to my ears. Could this be the first scenery I couldn't ever have even dreamt of, not only just wished for, anything more? I believe it truly should be :) Thank you immensely! I think everyone will find features they enjoy or always wanted in this 'Capital of the Alps'! Day1!

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:12 PM, fabs79 said:

Hi Jarrad, 

Fantastic scenery, will definitely buy this once it is released. Though I have another question: will this be your only visit to the European continent or are you looking for more airports to do there? If yes, could you please consider making a new scenery for Venice? It's such a beautiful location, with a medium sized airport, world famous historic city, and lots of possibilities for short to medium range trips to other high quality sceneries (Orbx' own Asiago freeware is close by, for example). Aerosofts version is getting old and performs badly when migrated to p3d and even has several graphical glitches when buildings are rendered within p3ds engine. This would really be great! 

Cheers, 

Fabian

Yeah, and good opportunity for a characterful and unique 'Gondola-flow' ;):) Good suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2016 at 1:02 PM, Airwolf said:

Y'all need to Jarrad's work in VR.  It is Holy #%@#%@%@%$ awesome.  Screenshots and 2D monitors do not do justice.  I can't wait to see this in VR. This will be epic just like his other epic work. 

You all need VR (trust me)

At this stage I know zilch about about VR.

Are you saying that current Orbx scenery & airports, including Jarrads, work in VR now??

& to get into VR what software, PC Hardware spec. & special hardware  do you need, or can you point me to a Guide on that?

Thanks

TTM

28 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

At this stage I know zilch about about VR.

Are you saying that current Orbx scenery & airports, including Jarrads, work in VR now??

& to get into VR what software, PC Hardware spec. & special hardware  do you need, or can you point me to a Guide on that?

Thanks

TTM

Hmm.. quite the rock you have been living under. ;)

You only need a VR Headset (Occulus Rift or HTC Vive) and a program called FlyInside. 

As for the hardware: The faster the better. Strong GPU absulutely a prerequisite. The minimum spec is a GTX 970 or similar.

@KVSandleben

Should be the minimum specs not at least a GTX 980 resp. now a GTX 1060? I have a 1060 which is a little bit faster then a 980.

And i only reach on a single 1080 Monitor with a payware Airport and Aircraft so around 27 to 37 FPS in VC, in cruise i have actually constant 60 FPS :D 

I have the FPS also locked at 60 and my P3Dv3 settings are also rather high. I am very happy with this Card, but do you not need at least a GTX 1070 to have real fun with VR?

Amazing. So ok I had a couple of "adult flavored beverages" watching your vid's, but I am truly amazed how far FSX and FTX have come. Flight simulation seems more real than  real life flying. Huh?

Great stuff. Cheers I raise my glass to all of you developers and fellow simmers.

14 hours ago, DAL521 said:

@KVSandleben

Should be the minimum specs not at least a GTX 980 resp. now a GTX 1060? I have a 1060 which is a little bit faster then a 980.

And i only reach on a single 1080 Monitor with a payware Airport and Aircraft so around 27 to 37 FPS in VC, in cruise i have actually constant 60 FPS :D 

I have the FPS also locked at 60 and my P3Dv3 settings are also rather high. I am very happy with this Card, but do you not need at least a GTX 1070 to have real fun with VR?

The minimum specs denominate the bare minimum at which one will be able to run applications not the minimum that gives you acceptable results.

The GTX 970 is what Occulus names itself as minimum requirement.

And yes, you probably need the GTX 1070 to really get all out of VR at the moment.

On 26/09/2016 at 1:28 AM, Bassman said:

Fantastic work and with animated trains!!!! Is this the first Orbx scenery with animated trains? If so bodes well for the future.

If you like trains, check out Soutgampton, EGHI. The Orbx scenery includes steam locomotives as well as modern diesels.

Now when can I buy Innsbruck? Still no release?

I hope they are not going to wait for the sales integration conversion in November?  There will be snow on the slopes by then:-)

Cheers

David

3 hours ago, Haydon the Womble said:

There is another in PNW. A train runs between two airports over a trestle bridge WW style which you have to buy separately. One has a car dirt track with animated cars. I am sure someone will remind us. There are balloons at one airport. 

The train you have in mind is running between S43 (Harvey Field) and W16 (Monroe Firstar). Both airports have been designed by Andreas Hegi and Heiko Glatthorn.

Archived