New Zealand North Island

Jack Sawyer

After having NZSI installed for a long time and never once going there I decided to make a flight from NZKO to NZWP.  I didn't know NZWP was a military base.  And I also didn't know the city is Auckland.  I had a blast in the Staggerwing and NZ is beautiful in the spring.

NZNI01.jpg

NZNI02.jpg

NZNI03.jpg

NZNI04.jpg

NZNI05.jpg

NZNI06.jpg

NZNI07.jpg

NZNI08.jpg

NZNI09.jpg

NZNI10.jpg

NZNI11.jpg

NZNI12.jpg

NZNI13.jpg

NZNI14.jpg

NZNI15.jpg

NZNI16.jpg

On approach for NZWP, but wait…

NZNI17.jpg

I see hot air balloons.

NZNI18.jpg

Do they really use 757's in the NZAF?  If so, very cool!

NZNI19.jpg

Let's chase a balloon, I used to fly these in real life.

NZNI21.jpg

NZNI22.jpg

What city is this?

NZNI23.jpg

NZNI24.jpg

Why?  Because I could.  :)

NZNI25.jpg

Just now, bvdboomen said:

Nice series of a beautiful scenery Jack!

They do indeed! Here's a real one:

06.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

WOW!  Thanks Ben!  That looks real sweet.  I work these in real life.  Very powerful P&W engines but I think this one has Rolls on the wings!  At first I thought it was United but then in my image I saw it was the NZAF.  Being an Air Force guy myself I can respect what they do and in this photo it's immaculate.  Thank you for posting this photo Ben!

Just now, bvdboomen said:

Thank you Jack. Nice to know you are in the Air Force.

BTW, the photograph is taken on RAF Fairford in England last July.

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Ben, I'm with a major airline now, have been since 1989 but I was in the USAF from 1981 to 1989.

I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford for three years, spent five years in Boise flying hot air balloons and moved to Atlanta where I am now, right at 25GA.

When I was in the UK I used to go TDY everywhere.  Lossimouth Scotland, all over England, Spain, Turkey, Germany, and spent some free time in Greece and France.  What a time in my life that was!

Cheers,

Jack

4 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Lovely NZ shots. I grabbed it in the last sales (finally), and will have to discover it this (northern) winter...

Thank you Stillwater.

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

Jack (and Gerold) - you both are in for a treat as you discover New Zealand.  Both islands are very well done.  Jack - that's Auckland.  theres amazing textures both north and south.

Thanks sightseer, I looked it up on a map and you're right, it's Auckland, very nice.  Yeah, it's a beautiful country.  I'd love to visit in real life but it's a 22 hour flight and way more money than I'll ever see.  :(

52 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Excellent shots Jack.

For the mountainous stuff fly the South Island. Set to Autumn or Winter.

Christchurch to Greymouth crosses the Southern Alps.

Or Nelson down to Queenstown can follow the Alps down the island.

TTM

Hi Tiger, thanks for the advice, I plan on flying the entire set of both islands and would like to buy Milford Sound sometime soon.  So beautiful!

5 hours ago, JS07 said:

Thank you Stillwater.

Thanks sightseer, I looked it up on a map and you're right, it's Auckland, very nice.  Yeah, it's a beautiful country.  I'd love to visit in real life but it's a 22 hour flight and way more money than I'll ever see.  :(

Hi Tiger, thanks for the advice, I plan on flying the entire set of both islands and would like to buy Milford Sound sometime soon.  So beautiful!

You will want Queenstown too. Queenstown to Milford Sound is a superb flight.

Remember there is the Xmas sale

TTM

NZ is certainly a beautiful country. There is, ahem, 'other' scenery that compliments ORBX nicely and well worth looking at.

I'm in the North Island (Hamilton) and fly IRL locally (out of NZMA, actually, usually visiting NZTH, NZTE, NZRA sometimes NZTG) when I can get enough dollars together. Very low time pilot though (just over 100hrs).

A sim flight out of NZAP to see the volcanoes in nice, and almost anywhere in SI is nice, especially round the Southern Alps, Wanaka, Queenstown and many other places.

Beautiful shots of a beautiful country, Jack... haven't simmed there for a while, high time I visited again.

Great to hear you were in USAF... always nice to interact with RW pilots!

Best,

Lucky :)

///////////////

Wonderful shots Jack as you continue your discovery of the ORBX world.

I was hoping to see the RNZAF 757 at Avalon a few years ago as they put on a breathtaking display but unfortunately the Christchurch Earthquake meant that it remained in NZ helping out.

10 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

You will want Queenstown too. Queenstown to Milford Sound is a superb flight.

Remember there is the Xmas sale

TTM

Thanks Tiger.  I forgot about the Christmas sale!  Good idea.

7 hours ago, jpreou said:

NZ is certainly a beautiful country. There is, ahem, 'other' scenery that compliments ORBX nicely and well worth looking at.

I'm in the North Island (Hamilton) and fly IRL locally (out of NZMA, actually, usually visiting NZTH, NZTE, NZRA sometimes NZTG) when I can get enough dollars together. Very low time pilot though (just over 100hrs).

A sim flight out of NZAP to see the volcanoes in nice, and almost anywhere in SI is nice, especially round the Southern Alps, Wanaka, Queenstown and many other places.

jpreou you are very fortunate to live there and then to be able to fly around in real life, most fortunate.  I loved ZN when I watched The Lord Of The Rings and the making of those movies, I could not believe the beauty of that country.  Which island did they film them on , north or south?

I'm going to make a note of the places you recommend to fly and go there in the sim.

Thanks.

Jack

6 hours ago, luckyb52 said:

Beautiful shots of a beautiful country, Jack... haven't simmed there for a while, high time I visited again.

Great to hear you were in USAF... always nice to interact with RW pilots!

Best,

Lucky :)

///////////////

Thanks Lucky, it's very beautiful there.  Yeah, I miss the AF.

3 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful shots Jack as you continue your discovery of the ORBX world.

I was hoping to see the RNZAF 757 at Avalon a few years ago as they put on a breathtaking display but unfortunately the Christchurch Earthquake meant that it remained in NZ helping out.

Martyn, that is one AWESOME display!  I loved the max climb.  This plane has always been way overpowered and from what I read it's the world's worst for wake turbulence.  The controllers keep people away for a minute after one takes off.

Thanks for the cool video.

2 hours ago, JS07 said:

jpreou you are very fortunate to live there and then to be able to fly around in real life, most fortunate.  I loved ZN when I watched The Lord Of The Rings and the making of those movies, I could not believe the beauty of that country.  Which island did they film them on , north or south?

I'm going to make a note of the places you recommend to fly and go there in the sim.

Thanks.

Jack

LOTR -a lot of it was shot in the South Island. The broad river flats with mountain backdrops used  in battle scenes are a characteristic South Island high country scene.

The rivers generally run off the Southern Alps & head East to the Pacific Ocean.

The Hobbit House scenes were shot in the North Island, near Matamata I think. They built the Hobbitville on a farm & I think it's a tourist attraction now.

Lot of stuff on LOTR background material can be accessed via Google.

TTM

Just now, TigerTigerM said:

LOTR -a lot of it was shot in the South Island. The broad river flats with mountain backdrops used  in battle scenes are a characteristic South Island high country scene.

The rivers generally run off the Southern Alps & head East to the Pacific Ocean.

The Hobbit House scenes were shot in the North Island, near Matamata I think. They built the Hobbitville on a farm & I think it's a tourist attraction now.

Lot of stuff on LOTR background material can be accessed via Google.

TTM

That's very interesting.  Man I would love to go there.  Alas, $ keeps us from going.  When I saw the making of those movies I was just stunned at the beauty of that country.  It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Jack

18 hours ago, JS07 said:

Thanks.

Jack

I am indeed Jack. I'm British by birth but NZ by descent on my Mother's side, so when I was 19 I applied for my NZ password and when I was 25 I hopped on a plane and just arrived here for a look-see. Stayed here ever since.

As @TigerTigerM pointed out; most LOTR was shot in the South Island; the mountainous stuff anyway. The Hobbiton stuff was shot just outside of MataMata (where I fly from) and is now a major tourist attraction (albeit expensive, IMHO).

I'm considering a move to ChCh at the moment; I *love* the SI.

7 hours ago, clmurf said:

great shots even if it was the north island

Even if?  I would take it you don't like the North Island?  That's okay, I like both of them, we all have our own preferences on scenery I guess.

Have a nice day clmurf.

Best regards,

Jack

5 hours ago, jpreou said:

I am indeed Jack. I'm British by birth but NZ by descent on my Mother's side, so when I was 19 I applied for my NZ password and when I was 25 I hopped on a plane and just arrived here for a look-see. Stayed here ever since.

As @TigerTigerM pointed out; most LOTR was shot in the South Island; the mountainous stuff anyway. The Hobbiton stuff was shot just outside of MataMata (where I fly from) and is now a major tourist attraction (albeit expensive, IMHO).

I'm considering a move to ChCh at the moment; I *love* the SI.

JP, what a lucky guy to be living in that paradise!  ChCh?  I never heard of that, is that the name of an actual town?  ChCh?  I love the Australian and New Zealand place names.  What a wonderful area of the world.

3 hours ago, Richard Lincoln said:

Great set 7th is the one.

Thank you Richard for the kind words!

3 hours ago, mikee said:

Very Nice shots Jack ! I like them all :rolleyes:

We need some more Orbx NZ Airport's ... :huh:

I agree mikee, all there is is Queenstown and Milford but maybe they'll get around to it, I have hopes they will.

Best regards,

Jack

Nice set and great video, managed to visit NZ both North Island and South Island, can definitely recommend it. I take it when you say chch your talking about Christchurch. Shame about all the damage with the earthquakes

As I type this I'm flying from NZKT to NZKK, in some really good rain and tuebulence.  I set it to summer at dawn and it's beautiful with all these trees.

And despite having Vector there doesn't seem to be many roads, is it like this in real-life?

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 9:44 PM, mikee said:

We need some more Orbx NZ Airport's ... :huh:

We sure do... I vote Matamata (NZMA) and Te Kowhai (NZTE) and Thames (NZTH) and Mercer (NZME - where the brave can taxy across the bridge) and Ardmore (NZAR) and Taupo (NZAP) ... come on, dudes, we've got plenty...!

Of course, might change my mind if/when I move to ChCh next year... in which case I vote NZCH and any within 100nm :)

3 minutes ago, jpreou said:

We sure do... I vote Matamata (NZMA) and Te Kowhai (NZTE) and Thames (NZTH) and Mercer (NZME - where the brave can taxy across the bridge) and Ardmore (NZAR) and Taupo (NZAP) ... come on, dudes, we've got plenty...!

Of course, might change my mind if/when I move to ChCh next year... in which case I vote NZCH and any within 100nm :)

We need some ground photos! :)

Aha - you might 'regret' you said that Tim.

Next sunny day I'm out there with the camera.

BTW, you guys should release a photo guidelines page for those that wish to submit photos for consideration into potential future scenery.

Q. RAW, JPG or what?

Hi Jeff,

With how we make airports these days, getting perfect straight-on photos is no longer a big issue as we hand-make a lot of our textures now, its more about knowing whats there, signs, little details etc, the color of x shed, markings, anything 'unique' about the place, we just need a picture of each building (more if possible) then if we can get a collection of photos of an airport + good quality orthoimagery the chance of a project is much much higher

Whanganui airport (spelling?) is one I personally have always wanted to make

If you or anyone you know has the opportunity to gather some pics then shoot me a PM and I can investigate the orthoimagery side

Archived