Jump to content

Is it ever possible we could see an addon focusing on improving waterclass?


Mac_Maddog88
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

New account here, it's been months so I forgot my credentials for my old account (Outrage).

Anyways, it's good to be back. I've been flying a ton of XPlane lately and one thing that I love about that sim is how much better the water looks. Specifically, the transition between different forms of waterclass isn't as jarring as ESP, especially in tropical areas where I can look and just pick out the blockiness of ESP's waterclass. 

 

Something I would love to see for FSX and P3D is an addon that would function for water sort of the way FTX Global does for land; smoothing out the transitions between water classes and just making coastal areas look a whole lot nicer in general. Flying in tropical areas is just kind of unpleasent due to how ESP handles waterclass. Any chance we could have something to improve this?

-Mac

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Marc 


I couldn't agree more. The more OrbX improves the ground environment, the more the water environment looks cartoonish,  out of whack. I miss the shallow coastal waters (tropical or not) but also the muddy rivers/estuaries, the salted ponds etc.. 

It sometime kills the immersion factor than OrbX brings along. I had that experience recently flying over Northern Nevada... OrbX has never been receptive to the idea so far. Lack of sources or assuming a lack of interest of the public ? I don't know but I, for one, would pay for an OpenLC NA (water) as a priority addon.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Waterclass wouldnt do justice to that kind of spectacular scenery (Bahamas, the Keys etc.) without having new  textures à la Global. And even then...  Only PR imagery may do the trick, like in Orbx Pago Pago. Now, lets wait for a certain scenery that Tim & Ken might cook right now ;).

 

But that does not preclude also having some product improving the water rendition on very large areas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

Orbx full fat regions also improve water class!

Totally agree, however once you move away from the full fat regions the water depiction in some areas can be DREADFUL to say the least. Prior to open LC North America, I spent 95% of my flying in full fat regions only.  I figured once I picked up open LC North America that would change to about 50% open LC and the other 50% in the full fat regions.  Open LC is a marvelous product!  I flew out of my home airport KTPF down to the Florida Keys enjoying the scenery, however, the way the sim depicts the waters here in the Tampa Bay Area is just painful to look at.  There is, no, tropical blue water anywhere in the Bay area. I then decided to do some flying in my childhood state of Louisiana.  Once again, Open LC brilliant! Water class, unsightly. Lake Pontchartrain water looks like Bahamas waters.  

 

I'd have to say that my percentages have now changed, but only slightly.   About 80/20.  While it's nice to venture out of the full fat regions and explore  the other areas, the water class quickly has me returning to PNW, AUS, Alaska, etc. I never imagined years ago having scenery the quality Orbx has provided us, so maybe one day we can say the same about the water class.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As you guys might guess, the look of the water is really important for my interests. P3D has come a long way in this regard; when I switch back and forth between P3D v3 and FSX, to my eye the water in FSX often looks like plastic. I think the LM guys are committed to improving the look of the water and  they continue to tweak things.

If you use the Ultra water setting (3D waves) and you are bold you can (carefully) edit the Triton resources configuration file. I should mention that LM's advice is not to do this because among other things, not all parameters are used. Nonetheless, if you back up the original file there are some things you can tweak if you become bored. For example being able to tell the direction of the wind by looking at the sea is particularly important to floatplane pilots. However the default P3D setting allows cross seas as much as ~40 degrees off the direction of the wind. At least that was the setting last time I checked.  The result is that it's very difficult to judge the exact direction of the wind. For my own use, I've had good luck tweaking the appropriate setting so that my estimate of the direction of the wind by looking at the sea state is pretty close to  the direction used by the sim. There are other settings that can be adjusted, but all have global effect so if you tune them for one region they may not look that realistic in others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dominique said:

Waterclass wouldnt do justice to that kind of spectacular scenery (Bahamas, the Keys etc.) without having new  textures à la Global. And even then...  Only PR imagery may do the trick, like in Orbx Pago Pago. Now, lets wait for a certain scenery that Tim & Ken might cook right now ;).

 

But that does not preclude also having some product improving the water rendition on very large areas.

Our next project is surrounded by water, huge dams to land on, get your amphibious aircraft ready.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Our next project is surrounded by water, huge dams to land on, get your amphibious aircraft ready.

 

 

Combining this info with the hints Ken an Tim had already given in past threads, I'll bet on the Bahamas or the Florida Keys!

Edited by wolfko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, wolfko said:

 

Combining this info with the hints Ken an Tim had already given in past threads, I'll bet on the Bahamas or the Florida Keys!

 

Yeah, but there aren't any dams in the Bahamas or Florida Keys since they are all little islands in the ocean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KORDATC said:

 

Yeah, but there aren't any dams in the Bahamas or Florida Keys since they are all little islands in the ocean.

Dam can also mean large shoreline or a natural structure holding back a large body of water.

If this mystery project IS the Bahamas, I'm sure Ken and Tim would have more than enough money to retire on after release! 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KORDATC said:

 

Yeah, but there aren't any dams in the Bahamas or Florida Keys since they are all little islands in the ocean.

 

I was more thinking of dikes, embankments etc. for land reclamation in order to build airports. Sorry, in German it's the same word for all these different meanings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha no problem wolfko.  I would absolutely love the Bahamas or Florida Keys!  One of my favorite things to do in Flight Sim is island hop in which the Bahamas are perfect for!  There are so many landing strips on those islands!  But back to my original guess - alake Mead has the Hoover Dam and a ton of seaplane traffic.  He did say it would include dams you could land on.  We shall see.  They will surprise us nonetheless!

 

Cheers,

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, KORDATC said:

Haha no problem wolfko.  I would absolutely love the Bahamas or Florida Keys!  One of my favorite things to do in Flight Sim is island hop in which the Bahamas are perfect for!  There are so many landing strips on those islands!  But back to my original guess - alake Mead has the Hoover Dam and a ton of seaplane traffic.  He did say it would include dams you could land on.  We shall see.  They will surprise us nonetheless!

 

Cheers,

Rob

 

I totally agree, Lake Mead would be great. But there are no cabbage palms AFIK. Ken and Tim said in another topic, that there were cabbage palms in the area they are currently working on.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2016 at 7:43 AM, Larry_R said:

As you guys might guess, the look of the water is really important for my interests. P3D has come a long way in this regard; when I switch back and forth between P3D v3 and FSX, to my eye the water in FSX often looks like plastic. I think the LM guys are committed to improving the look of the water and  they continue to tweak things.

If you use the Ultra water setting (3D waves) and you are bold you can (carefully) edit the Triton resources configuration file. I should mention that LM's advice is not to do this because among other things, not all parameters are used. Nonetheless, if you back up the original file there are some things you can tweak if you become bored. For example being able to tell the direction of the wind by looking at the sea is particularly important to floatplane pilots. However the default P3D setting allows cross seas as much as ~40 degrees off the direction of the wind. At least that was the setting last time I checked.  The result is that it's very difficult to judge the exact direction of the wind. For my own use, I've had good luck tweaking the appropriate setting so that my estimate of the direction of the wind by looking at the sea state is pretty close to  the direction used by the sim. There are other settings that can be adjusted, but all have global effect so if you tune them for one region they may not look that realistic in others.

 Agree, Larry,

 

After dipping from lakes and other bodies of water for fire fighting in P3D. I gel close enough to see the surface scum on the water. it's really noticeable  at 300 ft above the water in a hover.  the only water features needing improvement in Prepar3D is the waterfalls :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2016 at 4:46 PM, Ken Hall said:

Our next project is surrounded by water, huge dams to land on, get your amphibious aircraft ready.

 

I hope we'll get some ground landing strips too (hard, semi-hard, soft, muddy, dusty, grassy, your choice. Even buffalo not to say alligator ridden), I find the water landing/takeoff a little unconvincing in my favorite sim (P3D3) :).

 

 

Edited by dominique
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dominique said:

I hope we'll get some ground landing strips too (hard, semi-hard, soft, muddy, dusty, grassy, your choice. Even buffalo not to say alligator ridden), I find the water landing/takeoff a little unconvincing in my favorite sim (P3D3) :).

 

 

always plenty of dry land as well as getting you out of your comfort zone, helicopters, amphibious aircraft, all catered for, do you have the right stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The water is fine. Especially in Orbx Regions. Increasing the cost (buy bigger video cards) is not something I would ever do to take water to a higher level of reality. It is just not worth the money given it is a good display now.

I agree that waterfalls need work. Resolution and lighting are weak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, boleyd said:

The water is fine. Especially in Orbx Regions. Increasing the cost (buy bigger video cards) is not something I would ever do to take water to a higher level of reality. It is just not worth the money given it is a good display now.

I agree that waterfalls need work. Resolution and lighting are weak.

The Orbx Full fat regions is not where the water is a problem.  It's in the other areas.  I'm totally willing to spend more money on a better looking waterclass if it were developed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Default water class throughout the Caribbean and the Bahamas in particular is a travesty. In fact there is nothing more immersion killing than heading south east out of KMIA and approaching the Bahamas. Its like Avatar threw up down there. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

Default water class throughout the Caribbean and the Bahamas in particular is a travesty. In fact there is nothing more immersion killing than heading south east out of KMIA and approaching the Bahamas. Its like Avatar threw up down there. 

 

Which sim?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No need to go to the tropical islands !  I did a nice flight yesterday between Valdosta Ga to St Simons Island (wanted to land in Jekyll but the crosswind was too strong :rolleyes:), flying over Fargo Ga to see how the Okefenokee swamps and the coastal marshlands looked like. Vector and OLNA do a very good job at rendering the ground but the blue water was a little weird in the marshlands (no silt). It was a little more palatable in the swamps as P3D tinted the water a darker blue. Still, it could be better there too. 

 

I would say the same for Southern Louisiana.

 

Edited by dominique
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...