FS4 - remember this?

dansandiego

I still have FS4 for DOS on floppy disks. I copied the files to my PC so I don't put anymore wear and tear on the floppy then I downloaded a DOS emulator. The game launched and is totally playable with my joystick, ah memories!! The moment I first played this game I was hooked. I was 10 years old at the time lol 

Here's the Cessna 182 departing Meigs. When I discovered ORBX had released Meigs I was so excited, that's where it all started for me. My dad used to pilot a Cessna Citation and I was able to ride along to Meigs once. So sad it's gone now but we can all relive it thanks to ORBX! 

FS4.jpg

image.jpeg

Microsoft was so kind even to sell a full-fledged FS4 Scenery Designer, the only one I recall from FS history.

Which, unfortunately turned out as a bluff package soon. When people came to speed with scenery design half a year later MS published FS5 and no one was interested anymore in all the wonderful, but untextured creations.

Kind regards, Michael

Oh my goodness, does this thread make me feel even older :D I remember FS4 days like they were yesterday. Just like most of you, the magic all started for me taking off from Meigs too. I remember how proud I was when I figured out how to set the radio and I got that first scrolling radio message. Remember the paper manual and the paper maps that came with it? Oh, the memories!

I recall how often I failed to make a successful landing. Partially it may have been lack of experience. But on the other hand, a few lines just don't give a sense for height. 

Kind regards, Michael

I still have all the complete boxes from FS4 to FSX. Plus a number of addons - recall MS Las Vegas, New York and the like? I'll never get why MS didn't leverage their advantage in experience to make addons for later MSFS versions themselves.

Kind regards, Michael

The thing I most remember is that each time a new version of MFS was introduced, I'd tell my wife how much more real it felt than the previous version. Now, in the world of ORBX, I look back at all the old versions and can only marvel at how much better things now are. Those really were good old days, but nothing like today's ORBX World. In reading the posts on this thread, I feel like a time traveler who has the advantage of knowing that each moment of the whole journey was precious at the time.

Ahhhh....great memories!!!

The first sim I bought was FS98 but I played one of these earlier ones on my roomate's PC in college.

So primitive but somehow we had just as much fun.

This is an addiction one doesn't kick easily - I tried for 5 years and came back a year ago and love it more than I ever have!

Thanks for sharing!

Steve

I started with FS2 on a Commodore 64. I had to buy the floppy disk reader so I could download the program. And I happened on Aircraft and Scenery Designer in a software store (remember those). That started an obsession with scenery design that's still there 25 years later.

Larry

49 minutes ago, larryisenor said:

I started with FS2 on a Commodore 64. I had to buy the floppy disk reader so I could download the program. And I happened on Aircraft and Scenery Designer in a software store (remember those). That started an obsession with scenery design that's still there 25 years later.

Larry

I started with the same FS, computer, and also A&SD Larry.  It's amazing how the simulator world has developed.  I wonder what it's going to be in another 25 - 30 years.  I hope I'm still around to see it.

I also had a lot of these books.  https://www.flightsimbooks.com/ .

I would love to get a copy of the manual that came out with either FS4 or FS5 (I can't remember which one exactly); the boxed version with two yellow towers on the cover. It had one of the best tutorials for instrument flying.

Personally, I considered FS5 as a step backwards when compared to FS4 in some respects. Whilst mesh and textured terrain graphics were introduced, those terrain textures were absolutely awful (except in a couple of places like Meigs Field). They shimmered and moved around like a sea of floating garbage. I remember thinking at the time that I would have preferred to see coloured vector graphics like FS4, but with a lot more detail (3D buildings and other scenery objects). Like an idiot, I purchased every version of FS between FS5 and FS2002, and ended up being utterly disappointed with all of them. FSX was the first half decent version of FS since FS4 (I never tried FS2004), and even then it was mostly because I was able to install photographic scenery of the UK, and lots of detailed airfields.

You have certainly rekindled memories with this post, I also caught the bug with FS4 on our first Atari computer. I recall the Lear jet panel as well and learning to get it airborne off Meigs as well as being able to distinguish Sears Tower. Remember the break through when the Orange lights at night included blue lights lighting up the airport when the runway became a little more than a thin line amongst the green. Ah......the memories!

On 8/14/2016 at 6:55 AM, chumley said:

and boy was it hard flying with a keyboard! Meigs to Champagne

I did the same.  I used a protractor on the paper maps to get the correct angle/heading after taking off from Meigs.  Wasn't perfect but was close enough to get me to Champagne.

10 hours ago, rlkjmt73 said:

I started with the same FS, computer, and also A&SD Larry.  It's amazing how the simulator world has developed.  I wonder what it's going to be in another 25 - 30 years.  I hope I'm still around to see it.

I also had a lot of these books.  https://www.flightsimbooks.com/ .

I still have most of those books on my shelf. I pull them out once in a while and try a flight with the current sim. Much better than when they were written.

Larry

Early FS versions seem like another lifetime

In another 20 years we will be flying in something that will be indistinguishable from real life

Maybe direct brain interface or Headset with extreme resolution & Field of view

Full bodysuit and motion simulator that duplicates every breeze on your face and vibration in your seat

If you see what is in development today these things are definitely coming....  and soon

I for one am looking forward to an incredible technology future

Archived