Mesh

Jack Sawyer

1 hour ago, JS07 said:

Thanks Doug, currently reading all those AVSIM pages.  Looks like mesh is quite a complicated subject, at least for me.  I get the wire mesh analogy now and everything is layered on top of it.  So if I download and use this mesh or any other mesh Orbx's stuff knows what to do when it sees mesh right?  It kind of blankets its scenery on top of the mesh?

Will this increase VAS at all, even a small amount?

FSX/P3D will always use the most detailed mesh product available regardless who made it. Install anything you like. There is nothing you need to do as it's all automatic. I don't know about the VAS hit. I suppose the more detailed the mesh the higher the VAS required because a lot more triangles need to be drawn. But, I've used most all the popular mesh products at one time or another (including FSPilot's Ultimate series) and have never noticed a VAS issue .

Doug

I dont load any mesh in areas I dont fly in - just US - Europe at the moment no sense in having it on my drive if its not going to be used but have all the mesh just in case I change my mind later - always grab stuff such as freemesh you never know in the future if it will still be available 

15 minutes ago, Triplane said:

FSX/P3D will always use the most detailed mesh product available regardless who made it. Install anything you like. There is nothing you need to do as it's all automatic. I don't know about the VAS hit. I suppose the more detailed the mesh the higher the VAS required because a lot more triangles need to be drawn. But, I've used most all the popular mesh products at one time or another (including FSPilot's Ultimate series) and have never noticed a VAS issue .

Doug

The thing is about this torrent thing, I always thought it was for piracy and I do not like piracy.  So if I have to use one of those torrent things no free mesh for me.

Then they talk about 7Zip, I have no idea hot it works either.  I'm a neophyte as I keep saying.  It has to be easy or I'll just sy to heck with it.

I always download files to my iMac ten use a USB stick to take them to the PC.  I use the PC only for P3D, not even mail or surfing.  Then when the files are transferred I open then with Windows 7's WinZip program and drag the files I need into a folder I created on the desktop and run them from there.

I'm just stuck in my ways and don't want to fool with any torrent thing or 7zip or anything else I have to learn as I just want a simple installation so I can fly.

This is why I really look forward to the new FTX Central 3 in August.  It makes my life a lot easier.

The more I read about mesh the more of a pain it looks.  I don't know if it will do anything at all in the Orbx full fat regions anyway.  Is there really that much of a difference?

Jack,

You don't need to torrent FreeMeshX if you don't want to.  You can use the Direct Download via MediaFire option.

7-zip is just a file compression program like winzip.  It can zip (compress) and unzip a bunch of file types.  The program is free and simple to use.  You can get it from 7-zip.org

Ninetwopro.com has an installation guide, complete with screenshots, that shows you how to download, unzip, and install FreeMeshX.  http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/

The About FreeMeshX section on the page I linked also talks a bit about LOD (Level Of Detail) and how it corresponds to meters of resolution (like LOD10 = 38M)

IMHO, the download, unzip, and add to the sim's scenery library process isn't too bad.  In the end you will have a good mesh product and still have $$ to spend on other Orbx scenery.

1 minute ago, h3pilot said:

Jack,

You don't need to torrent FreeMeshX if you don't want to.  You can use the Direct Download via MediaFire option.

7-zip is just a file compression program like winzip.  It can zip (compress) and unzip a bunch of file types.  The program is free and simple to use.  You can get it from 7-zip.org

Ninetwopro.com has an installation guide, complete with screenshots, that shows you how to download, unzip, and install FreeMeshX.  http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/

The About FreeMeshX section on the page I linked also talks a bit about LOD (Level Of Detail) and how it corresponds to meters of resolution (like LOD10 = 38M)

IMHO, the download, unzip, and add to the sim's scenery library process isn't too bad.  In the end you will have a good mesh product and still have $$ to spend on other Orbx scenery.

Wow.  Thanks a lot Matt, you have always been a very great help to me and now with this post you have made life a lot easier for me.  I can't thank you enough.  I want to try this tomorrow.

I really appreciate this and all of you guys above in this thread who have helped clarify mesh and how it works and interacts with Orbx's stuff.

I'm getting tired and ready for bed but one thing I'm still not clear on.  With the fat regions, will mesh make any difference at all?  From what I have read the fat regions already contain mesh.  But I also read that mesh, any mesh if it has a higher LOD will always take precedence.

Also, from what I read I'm not sure where in the scenery library to place this.

Good night...

Jack

1 hour ago, JS07 said:

I'm getting tired and ready for bed but one thing I'm still not clear on.  With the fat regions, will mesh make any difference at all?  From what I have read the fat regions already contain mesh.  But I also read that mesh, any mesh if it has a higher LOD will always take precedence.

Also, from what I read I'm not sure where in the scenery library to place this.

Many of the fat regions are 10m, so they are already better than the FreeMeshX 38m (LOD10).

The highest resolution mesh will automatically take precedence, regardless of its order in the library, so FreeMeshX won't affect anything with better resolution.

If some part of a fat region was less than 38m (LOD10), then FreeMeshX would be used for that part.

The placement in the scenery library doesn't matter, except the FreeMeshX patches need to be higher priority than the other FreeMeshX folders.

(My FreeMeshX scenery is just above the default P3D entries and below the Orbx AI traffic.)

hello,

I have been thinking of buying the PILOTS mesh, I currently am using FSGENISES. Which version of PILOTS would you suggest and where would I find it?

Also would I have to remove FSGENISIS before installing PILOTS?

spinker

20 hours ago, spinker said:

hello,

I have been thinking of buying the PILOTS mesh, I currently am using FSGENISES. Which version of PILOTS would you suggest and where would I find it?

Also would I have to remove FSGENISIS before installing PILOTS?

spinker

spinker,

I might do a forum search or start a dedicated thread with your question about PILOTS mesh versions.  Many people may not read this thread all the way to see your question.  I'll comment on what I can though. :)

You can get some products direct from Pilots' web site, but I don't see the Orbx partnership "FTX Edition" there.

You can get the FS Global 2010 FTX Edition from the Flight Sim Store http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2648

I don't think you have to remove any mesh before installing another.  The sim should automatically use whichever mesh has the best resolution.  I have no idea what it does if two enabled products have the same resolution for an area.  (Perhaps use the highest priority one??)

You can also just un-check the one you don't want to use in the FSX/P3D scenery library.

I don't have a PILOTS version recommendation for since I have chosen to use FreeMeshX.  

According to the FSS product description, FS Global 2010 FTX Edition has varied resolution (LOD 8 to LOD 12) depending on where you are.  Some of the higher res areas are mentioned, but it doesn't mention the resolution in Asia, Oceania, Africa, or South America.  I suspect they are all LOD 8.

FreeMeshX is LOD 10 (38m) everywhere except Antarctica, Greenland, and Russia North of 60 degrees, where it is LOD 9 (76m).  

This means that the PILOTS FTX Edition is better in some places, the same in some, and worse than FreeMeshX in others.

The PILOTS Ultimate products have higher resolutions (and prices).

Hopefully people who actually own some of the PILOTS' products can comment on actual comparisons between them.

Hi Matt, okay, I have these files on a 32 GB USB thumb drive ready to go on the PC:

North America 1 & 2

Asia 1-4

South America 1 & 2

Both patches.

I do not really need Antarctica or Africa as I never fly there.

I printed out Daniel's instructions from his web page on how to use 7Zip.

Now, one question, when I install all this will see any anomalies where this mesh and Orbx does not get along?  Because if so I don't want to install it then.  Is there anything I need to be aware of?  In my book Orbx comes first and anything else is second.  I tried all the rest and I find Orbx to be the best and I don't want anything at all to interfere or ruin my Orbx experience.

Also, since Orbx's regions have mesh will I see a difference in the North America mesh since I have the new N/A LC?

Thanks 

Jack.

Just now, Stewart Hobson said:

Jack,

P3D, and FSX, for that matter, always chooses the mesh with the highest resolution.  There's no such thing as not getting along with Orbx where mesh is concerned.  The flight sim will always select the best one.

Oh yeah, thanks Stew.  I remember seeing this somewhere.  I have so many things going on in real life this is overwhelming me.

Thanks.

Jack,

I was a member of the original post last week and was sitting in your confused position last week.  After getting some information from som of the guys on here, i purchased FreemeshX - and I'm delighted with the difference.  All mountains and hills are so much better defined since the installation of the Freemesh.  To give you an example of the difference that you will notice - I have included a 'before mesh' and 'after mesh' version of Table Mountain in Cape Town.  I realise that you are not downloading the mesh for Africa but this wioll give you an idea of the difference that it will make.

Please note, you will suffer from airport elevation issues at airports that are located in e;levated areas or in mountainous regions - but for the most part, these issues are easy to fix with the AEC tool in FTX.

Table Mountain in Cape Town South Africa (before the addition of mesh = Picture 1 and After mesh = Picture 2)

Hope this helps you!  Cheers,

Calum

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

Thank you Calum, I have all the files I want to install ready to go and start installing, just need to find the time.

I'm not going to install Antarctica or Africa because I never fly there.

Nor am I going to install North America despite flying there a lot because I was told there isn't much change.

So I'm going to install South America, Asia, and Europe, and the patches of course.

Your photos do show a huge difference though.

Looks like you used a camera to take them?

I appreciate everyone's help in helping me understand the role mesh plays in the sim to more accurately depict the world.

Jack

On 8/5/2016 at 4:12 AM, JS07 said:

Nor am I going to install North America despite flying there a lot because I was told there isn't much change.

Jack,

FreeMeshX's "North America" file contains 38m mesh for Canada and Mexico, but none for the USA.  

Default Canada is only 76m and Mexico is even worse, so FreeMeshX will be an improvement there.

Default USA is already 38m, so FreeMeshX does not include duplicate 38m data.  FreeMeshX does not change the USA at all.

On 8/4/2016 at 1:17 PM, JS07 said:

Now, one question, when I install all this will see any anomalies where this mesh and Orbx does not get along?  Because if so I don't want to install it then.  Is there anything I need to be aware of?  In my book Orbx comes first and anything else is second.  I tried all the rest and I find Orbx to be the best and I don't want anything at all to interfere or ruin my Orbx experience.

Also, since Orbx's regions have mesh will I see a difference in the North America mesh since I have the new N/A LC?

If you install FreeMeshX (or virtually any other mesh, including PILOTS) there will be some anomalies.

There are anomalies because the default mesh isn't very accurate, while most new mesh products are.  Some default airports are sitting at the wrong elevations because the default mesh is incorrect.  When accurate mesh is installed, airports with inaccurate elevations will appear to be on little plateaus (or depressions).

This is why Orbx created the AEC (Airport Elevation Correction) tool.  (The FreeMeshX site even recommends that you use the Orbx AEC.)

The AEC will automatically fix a bunch of airports.  Any others you come across can be manually adjusted.  

You will find the AEC under the "tools" section in Orbx's FTX Central.

The current FreeMeshX will have no affect in the USA at all, neither inside or outside your Orbx regions.

Again, FreeMeshX does not contain any USA mesh data at all.  It will only improve the rest of North America (Canada and Mexico).

Orbx's OpenLC North America is just Land Class data that lays on top of whatever mesh is installed.  It does not affect the mesh.

11 minutes ago, h3pilot said:

Jack,

FreeMeshX's "North America" file contains 38m mesh for Canada and Mexico, but none for the USA.  

Default Canada is only 76m and Mexico is even worse, so FreeMeshX will be an improvement there.

Default USA is already 38m, so FreeMeshX does not include duplicate 38m data.  FreeMeshX does not change the USA at all.

If you install FreeMeshX (or virtually any other mesh, including PILOTS) there will be some anomalies.

There are anomalies because the default mesh isn't very accurate, while most new mesh products are.  Some default airports are sitting at the wrong elevations because the default mesh is incorrect.  When accurate mesh is installed, airports with inaccurate elevations will appear to be on little plateaus (or depressions).

This is why Orbx created the AEC (Airport Elevation Correction) tool.  (The FreeMeshX site even recommends that you use the Orbx AEC.)

The AEC will automatically fix a bunch of airports.  Any others you come across can be manually adjusted.  

You will find the AEC under the "tools" section in Orbx's FTX Central.

The current FreeMeshX will have no affect in the USA at all, neither inside or outside your Orbx regions.

Again, FreeMeshX does not contain any USA mesh data at all.  It will only improve the rest of North America (Canada and Mexico).

Orbx's OpenLC North America is just Land Class data that lays on top of whatever mesh is installed.  It does not affect the mesh.

Thanks, for this Matt.  Your discussion is most relevant to our discussion over at the Vector support, where we are discussing why KTUS is on a plateau for us Global Ultimate users, but not so for the FreeMeshX users.  Go take a look, if you are so inclined.

Hi all, I just now finally installed Freemesh.

I only installed North America

South & Central America

Asia

Europe

And the patches.

Was a little confused about installing the patches, especially 1.06 because there was nothing to overwrite!

Then I added the Patch 1.05 folder  to the scenery library and it's at the top of the FreemeshX list.

And all of the Freemesh is directly above Fort Rucker but below all the Orbx stuff as indicated.

Then I ran Vector AEC.

So what should I expect?

Where will I see the most dramatic difference?

Can someone be kind enough to give me an airport code pair where I can fly and see a difference?

Thanks much.

Jack

54 minutes ago, JS07 said:

South & Central America

Asia

Europe

And the patches.

Was a little confused about installing the patches, especially 1.06 because there was nothing to overwrite!

Then I added the Patch 1.05 folder  to the scenery library and it's at the top of the FreemeshX list.

And all of the Freemesh is directly above Fort Rucker but below all the Orbx stuff as indicated.

Then I ran Vector AEC.

So what should I expect?

Can someone be kind enough to give me an airport code pair where I can fly and see a difference?

Thanks much.

Jack

Jack developer said he didnt supply US mesh yet - its only Greenland and Canada see this post for my take on ofx mesh which is free now - it was payware and its very good - you can go to Juneau Alaska to see the difference - shut it off in library then turn it back on to see difference - Freemesh is doing a nice version for the US but will take some time as he is quite busy right now with school

I would dump his US lc as OFX will cover that at least Canada not sure about Greenland

avsim post

http://www.avsim.com/topic/471160-ofx-mega-mesh-usa/

Free NA mesh

http://www.ofxsimulation.com/#!freeware-products/snh7f

Just now, rsvette12 said:

Jack developer said he didnt supply US mesh yet - its only Greenland and Canada see this post for my take on ofx mesh which is free now - it was payware and its very good - you can go to Juneau Alaska to see the difference - shut it off in library then turn it back on to see difference - Freemesh is doing a nice version for the US but will take some time as he is quite busy right now with school

avsim post

http://www.avsim.com/topic/471160-ofx-mega-mesh-usa/

Free NA mesh

http://www.ofxsimulation.com/#!freeware-products/snh7f

Rich, I was JUST going to go to AVSIM and PM you.

Can you send me an email so I can ask you for a favor?

Thanks.

Jack

56 minutes ago, JS07 said:

South & Central America

Asia

Europe

And the patches.

Then I ran Vector AEC.

So what should I expect?

Thanks much.

Jack

Sure no problem

I just made a 100 mile flight in the Mexican mountains, something I have never done even in FSX.  Ever.  I flew from MMTC to I forget!  LOL!

I took a lot of screenshots.  Might post 'em.

With all the mesh installed I saw no noticeable slowdown in load times, frames were perfect, and VAS was astoundingly high after flying in real AS16 ASCA weather with lots of dense coulds and rain.  Flew the Shrike.  All over the new OLC and the FreemeshX.

Maybe things were better because I just updated AS16 with a hotfix?

I dunno but the Orbx OLC which covers Mexico was very nice but I did see some roads going right through houses.

No big deal, it's still a work of art this OLC.

Best regards,

Jack

So now all I need is a city pair I can fly between where I can see a nice difference with all this newfangled mesh.

Between P3D, the mesh, AS16 & ASCA, and all the BEST Orbx stuff this sim is now amazing.  I fly with full sliders too and still have not even had one OOM even in London with the Q400.

My Orbx stuff has never looked better!  Now I can't WAIT till the wifey gives the go-ahead to buy the Norway FAT region and the new Norwegian airport.  

Last night my wife and I were in bed but couldn't sleep so I showed her the new Narvik P3D Orbx video and she was amazed.  I was stunned and my jaw was agape.  First because the textures are so darned good and then because I was thinking, gosh, what a beautiful country!  I would LOVE to live right there in that area.  Those are some lucky people who live there.

Cheers guys!

Jack

Archived