KBLU - Does Not Start and Instead The Program Crashes

boleyd

I installed KBLU with the new V3 installer. Started P3D V3.3. The aircraft was shown on the map at KBLU in the startup screen. Said OK and the program began and finished its load/start process. The screen then showed the aircraft, on an external view, at the end of the runway but with the word CRASH at the top. Then within a few seconds the program began loading something else and it was my default airport KHQM which was ok.

I looked at Central2 and the airport (KBLU) was not there. Nor was Palm Springs which I had just installed but not tried to open. It appears that both installs failed or I mssed a step.

As noted Central did not show the airport. I am unsure as to what the Central validate process is.

I "re-unzipped" the ZIP file. Then reinstalled the airport writing over the existing items. Exactly the same thing happened. Crash and reversion to the default airport.

I looked an FTX Central again and now the KBLU airport is there as well as its very nice description. Palm Springs is is also there but under Global despite SCA being installed..

I am next going to try Palm Springs.....  It worked BUT the airport is sunken beneath local terrain. Perhaps need to run the tool in Central...

Ran Central AEC tool and Palm Springs arose to the proper height.

Still can't get KBLU to work. It also appears to be an elevation issue although the brief view of the aeroplane on the runway looks ok.

Tried turning off all trees and buildings. No luck....

Slewed to airport up Route-80 out of Sacramento. Set the aircraft onto the runway and slewed end-to-end. Elevation constant at 5287.7ft No weather applied.

As soon as I turned off Slew, the aircraft crashed and reverted to the default airport.

From the air Route 80 looked interesting. I think I'll jump into my virtual car and take a drive using the Windows-10 map Street-Level function.

Great news!!!! I don't think it's a system/setting of yours. I suppose I could enable collision detection in my P3Dv3 and see what happens LOL!

This issue has been discussed a few times here on the forums. I think the general advice (from ORBX) is to keep collision detection disabled. With thousands of objects in these [now] highly complex scenery areas, it's almost impossible to catch every instance of these invisible "hit boxes". Sometimes they're near runways/taxiways - sometimes they're in the middle of nowhere and you "crash" for no apparent reason. I don't think there's a huge loss in realism or immersion by disabling it, IMHO.

Adam.

Confirmed. Aircraft crashes both when starting flight at KBLU or on touchdown when flying into KBLU. P3D v3.3.

Disabling collision detection 'fixes' it, not my preference though.

Thanks

Remko

• 2 weeks later...

As said earlier (above) - the *workaround* (not fix) for this is to disable collision detection in the sim. Realism purists might object, but IMHO it's not a huge loss (it *is* a sim, after all).

I have FSPassengers which normally checks for bad flying (and crashing into buildings etc., LOL) but that can be disabled.

Adam.

7 minutes ago, miller944 said:

It would be nice to hear from some actual orbx support to acknowledge the problem.  The workaround is fine, but it is simply a workaround to a legitimate problem. A fix or way forward would be appreciated. 

As stated above, modern complex sceneries are way beyond what the developers of the original FSX envisioned for the product.  While every attempt is made to fix crash boxes detected in sceneries during development and testing, it is physically impossible for them all to be rectified.  As a result, there will always be some that users encounter.

I'm sure that the developer will put this offending crash box in the list for any future patches or upgrades, in the meantime, the suggested remedy of turning off the crash detection, which is in itself not very realistic, is the best available solution.  In addition, it will have the added bonus of preventing such problems from surfacing as you explore other sceneries in this great and wonderful FSX/P3D world.

+1

However - I'd suggest putting a comment in a readme that goes with the archive - if only to alert new users to what can often be quite a disturbing surprise/side-effect. My P3Dv3 - despite all my attempts to break it - is incredibly stable, but if I *do* have a [rare] CTD, all sorts of horrible scenarios flash through my mind: sim, O/S, hardware ... take your pick! :lol:

If worded correctly, I don't think such an addendum to a readme need look like a negative thing. Seasoned ORBX users will know the score - and know there's lots to enjoy - but new users may like to feel they've been considered!

Adam.

• 3 months later...

I found out what is causing the crashes. It's the grass scenery along the runway. If you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KBLU\Scenery and delete these 3 files (ORBX_KBLU_PLC_Grass_01.bgl) (ORBX_KBLU_PLC_Grass_02.bgl) (ORBX_KBLU_PLC_Grass_03.bgl) then the airport will work normal but you will not have the grass along the sides of the runway.

Archived