Looking outstanding! I thought once that we needed a special Hawaii region, but seeing this I am not sure sure anymore. Only we can still hope for improvements to the large buildings. Many thanks for the great previews :)

1 hour ago, BrianV said:

Only we can still hope for improvements to the large buildings. :)

Honolulu Cityscape.  With ORBX people wandering around Waikiki beach.  Just sayin'......

Looking really good from the previews.

(Sorry.  I'm at home recovering from a motorcycle accident and was just bored.  :D )  

3 hours ago, Sylvain Delepierre said:

Hi Joe,

Welcome to our forums.

Not like the real thing but much better than default

c1iUFj8S1wyUtMO57717ba9ad21f.jpg

I agree much better than default. Thanks for the screenshot / looking forward to the release.

22 hours ago, joedis said:

Does punchbowl cemetary still have autogen buildings on it? (Cant tell) either way still a great improvement. Still hoping for a hawaii region.

JV did announce plans for a FTX Hawaii region, after Germany North and Germany South are done.  So until the FTX Hawaii full-fat region is available, the openLC version of Hawaii will be a very nice placeholder to explore!

With all due respect, I am disappointed in the land class I am seeing for Hawaii.

I realize that openLC is land class and not a full terrain region.  I just seem to be seeing what I would consider the wrong land class in places.  I also think that the overall vegetation doesn't look right, tree shapes and greens are wrong, and the dirt is not red enough.

- The LC in the PHBK screenshot is way off.  There is no "forest" there at all.  It is a bunch of old cane fields and short kiawe trees/bushes.  There aren't any tall conical trees or tall skinny trees at all, and there are no houses north of the road at all.

- The vegetation in the shot looking south over Pearl Harbor is the wrong type & color and far too uniform.  

- The Ko'olau Range on Oahu is not covered with huge patches of grey vegetation (or bare rock?  Whatever all that grey texture is).

I won't pick apart what I think is wrong in each screenshot, just compare to a Google satellite image (or street view) and see what I'm talking about.

Perhaps I am being overly critical because I flew in Hawaii for 7 years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2016 at 0:06 PM, John Venema said:

A landclass product does not affect default building placements I'm afraid. We only reposition buildings in our full fat FTX regions.

Hi John,

don't want to take up too much of your time, but just spotted your comment here. I have been aware recently of a few cases in various cityscapes in different locations where there seemed to be "feature" buildings set at weird angles to the underlying road patterns (e.g. stuck on a city block at 45 degrees) and that had puzzled me a bit. But I assume from your comment that the underlying placement of these buildings is at the basic sim level? And FTX Global or Vector don't necessarily adjust these features?

Not in any way a complaint or criticism, just trying to understand how these things hang together.

Cheers,

Andy

Great shots Sylvain and looking forwards to re visiting the islands once they have been given the OLC treatment.

Every day is a holiday in the ORBX world:)

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:22 AM, Fsxfreak99 said:

Wheres Florida:'(

Florida is the bit that hangs off the south east corner of the USA, between Cuba and Georgia.:o:lol::wacko:

I love everything ORBX but I don't really think this seems to do Hawaii justice at all.  I fly for real almost everyday in the islands and live here as well and I think the biggest thing I've noticed that ruins my immersion is the fact that none of the mountains out here have rock faces, they are almost all covered in vegetation and trees, why not use a similar texture set to Samoa as they look almost identical. 

The field and crops look great, and look just like Maui, I just think if the mountains had theyre own "landclass" it would transform the islands.  Looking forward to the product and will be a day 1 buy for me (I understand this is covering half of north america and is a huge undertaking), Hawaii's just a unique landscape thats radically different than anything else in NA.

I also understand that a Hawaii region is coming (so all comments with a grain of salt) .

-Matt

hawa33065.jpeg

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 11:09 PM, MattyChays said:

I love everything ORBX but I don't really think this seems to do Hawaii justice at all.  I fly for real almost everyday in the islands and live here as well and I think the biggest thing I've noticed that ruins my immersion is the fact that none of the mountains out here have rock faces, they are almost all covered in vegetation and trees, why not use a similar texture set to Samoa as they look almost identical. 

The field and crops look great, and look just like Maui, I just think if the mountains had theyre own "landclass" it would transform the islands.  Looking forward to the product and will be a day 1 buy for me (I understand this is covering half of north america and is a huge undertaking), Hawaii's just a unique landscape thats radically different than anything else in NA.

Yeah, I have to echo these statements, especially the mountain faces and the landclass being used on them. Hopefully a different landclass will be assigned to the mountain ranges that will more accurately reflect the vegetation that covers them instead of rock. That's what the beta is for and I hope we'll see that corrected.

I too am a great fan of ORBX and can't wait for OpenLC NA to come out. Almost everything I've seen in the preview shots shows what a great improvement this will be for NA landclass. Probably won't be too long now...

On 7/8/2016 at 11:09 PM, MattyChays said:

I also understand that a Hawaii region is coming (so all comments with a grain of salt) .

-Matt

hawa33065.jpeg

I agree and I'm confident that the "Samoa Dev Team" will do a fantastic job recreating Hawaii for flight simulation!

On 28 June 2016 at 2:38 PM, gotjackson said:

JV, isn't it also true that trees unique to an area would only be updated in a full fat region? So in OpenLC we'll be seeing whatever trees are already included with HD Trees?

Please Please NO!!!

I sincerely hope not because I can't use any new scenery that utilises them.

Those trees (whilst not effecting my FPS) really badly make my sim stutter :(

Mauricio assured me those trees would NOT be in his BEAUTIFUL upcoming new city scape, thank goodness; I really hope ORBX does NOT include them as standard in any ORBX product - hopefully they will remain a choice.

3 hours ago, Andrew 737 said:

Please Please NO!!!

Andrew, HD-trees is a texture upgrade only, you can choose to use them or not, its your choice, the trees are the same old trees regardless of which choice you make about the texture.

And back to the topic

6 hours ago, Tim Harris said:

Andrew, HD-trees is a texture upgrade only, you can choose to use them or not, its your choice, the trees are the same old trees regardless of which choice you make about the texture.

And back to the topic

Fantastic!!!

so I'm looking forward to it again then!

thank you Tim :)

Archived