What is in a name.

VH-KDK

I can remember getting my first aircraft recognition book in 1960 and being puzzled by the names of some of the American helicopters. Chinook, Choctaw and Chickasaw, very strange names to a 6 year old living close to London. Now I know they are names of Native Americans.

Something made me look tonight for the Westland Whirlwind in Flightsim.com site to see if there was any freeware available and the search came up with the Alphasim CH-19 Chickasaw.

Here are a few shots of my first flight in it.

1.ct1.jpg
So the windows and the main door open.

2.cw2.jpg

Taking off from Ospika the rotor blades are not very distinct but they are there.

3.cw3.jpg

Heading away with Williston Lake in the background.

4.cw4.jpg

Behind us in the distance are Fries Peak and Mount Porter

5.cw5.jpg

Passing over Tobin Lake with Mount Moodie on the right.

6.cw6.jpg

The flight characteristics must be pretty passive as I made a trouble free landing.

7.cw7.jpg

At rest on the shores of Lake Williston.

Hope you enjoyed this piece of pure nostalgia.

I liked a lot of these shots.

They remind me that this was the first aviation toy that I won. Unfortunately the small chopper toy got its blades broken in transport home ... And so life went on!

Thank you Martyn!

Voyager

From iPad

On 6/26/2016 at 0:11 AM, scottharmes6 said:

I love these old aircraft with the cockpit just dropped on the top.  Kind of reminds me of the Bristol 170 freighter and the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy.

Now that you mention it - they *do* look very similar!!!

The Westland Whirlwind to me was THE archetypal helicopter - just as the Hawker Hunter was the archetypal jet ... and the Spitfire was .... .... ...

I may just have to grab that chopper (don't tell Dolf!!).

Adam.

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:11 PM, scottharmes6 said:

Great pics!

I love these old aircraft with the cockpit just dropped on the top.  Kind of reminds me of the Bristol 170 freighter and the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy.

A unique chopper for sure.

Cheers,

Top set of shots KDK, if only there was a nose door for cargo which I'm not

sure if there is, then it would make a great resemblance of the old IPEC Argosys,

that I remember flew freight down here to Launceston.

cheers

Gumby 

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks John, watch this space, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Too right ... you may want to check this thread:

Why are these strange men in the room - and why am I wearing this white coat with the fasteners at the back? Such a nice little white van .. I'll come quietly :unsure:

Dolf - this applies to you as well!

Adam.

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:05 PM, Voyager said:

I liked a lot of these shots.

They remind me that this was the first aviation toy that I won. Unfortunately the small chopper toy got its blades broken in transport home ... And so life went on!

Thank you Martyn!

Voyager

From iPad

Thanks Voyager, most of my planes ended up with bent and broken props.

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:11 PM, scottharmes6 said:

Great pics!

A unique chopper for sure.

Cheers,

Thank you Scott, the Viscount cockpit always looked like an afterthought to me. I suppose the two you mentioned were built for their practicality especially the 170, a real ungainly beast.

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:37 PM, RJ said:

This reminded me of my modelling days. I built this heli from a Revell kit. Great shots. :)

Cheers RJ, the good old plastic kit days, I think mine was an Airfix one.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:12 AM, JS07 said:

Always VERY nice Martyn but let me ask you, as you take these screenshots how do you know where or what you're above?  Do you pre-plan these flights or use a map?

Very interesting and cool way you do it.

Thank you Jack. I use shift+z when flying. I spend the majority of my flying outside looking at the plane and scenery, so I can keep an eye on height and heading if not using the AP. I use the co-ords and Google Earth to find out POI s and other features.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:57 AM, Bermuda425 said:

Four-star bunch of shotz! I'd give five, but the heli says it different ;)

Larry obviously did a bang-up job on this British Columbian airstrip!

Thanks Erik, the freeware airports are all very well done.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:01 AM, andy1252 said:

Lovely stuff Martyn! Like some of the other folks, this brings out real strong childhood toy memories. It's what a helicopter should look like!

Cheers Andy, I must say that I do prefer the older aircraft 1940s to 70s being my favourites.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 7:33 PM, Iain Emms said:

Great set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Cheers Iain.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:47 AM, dolf8857 said:

Really nice set here Martyn!

Thank you Dolf.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:42 AM, gumbypickett said:

Top set of shots KDK, if only there was a nose door for cargo which I'm not

sure if there is, then it would make a great resemblance of the old IPEC Argosys,

that I remember flew freight down here to Launceston.

cheers

Gumby 

Cheers Gumby, I imagine there would be too much gubbins in the nose for a forward entry. We had a 2 storey house in Thomastown in the 80s with a clear view towards Tulla and Essendon. Can clearly remember the yellow IPRC Argosys going into Essendon and reading with dismay how they were bulldozed one week end after they were wfu. Would have been great if one of the museums could have been offered one for posterity. Not the same when the DC-9s replaced them.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 2:59 PM, BradB said:

Your starting to be like Dolf , it it has wings you will fly it Martyn . :D:)

Cheers

John

'ken oath John. Who would have though any of this would be possible in the plastic kit days 50 years ago.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 7:31 PM, Adam_NZ said:

Too right ... you may want to check this thread:

Why are these strange men in the room - and why am I wearing this white coat with the fasteners at the back? Such a nice little white van .. I'll come quietly :unsure:

Dolf - this applies to you as well!

Adam.

Thanks Adam, there is so much interesting and unusual freeware out there my P3Dv2.4 installation is bursting with so many different types.

Many thanks to you all for commenting and the interest shown in this old chopper.

That's a pretty slick idea Martyn, using Google Earth to get locations as you fly.  I always love your shots but also the descriptions and wonder, "How the heck does he know what's below, does he live there?"

Now I know and it's a pretty cool idea.  It really makes the screenshots have meaning.

Archived