How a mug of tea changed my life.

VH-KDK

tt1.jpg

Was given this mug for my 40th birthday,22 years ago,  and it has virtually been the only mug I have used ever since. I would like $1 for every drink of tea I have had out of it!

One of the movies I keep thinking about is Sliding Doors and many times in my life I have wondered what outcomes would have been if I had not been in certain places at certain times, sometimes good and sometimes bad.

I have not been too happy at work of late. Many mornings I have not wanted to get up and go to work. Very busy and a very strenuous job, I have not complained about my work though, only the inept management who seem to be more interested in avoiding work rather than looking after us workers. Never any praise from them only nit picking although many other workers there gave me so much positive feedback telling me I was doing a great job not to work so hard. I would get home worn out and quite often in bed and asleep soon after 8 o'clock.

A couple of weeks ago I had an extra mug of tea just before bed time so I awoke at midnight needing to go to the bathroom, which I finally did at one o'clock.

I then lay in bed thinking and going over my finances and at 02:30 said to myself,, "that's enough."

My wife works at the same place and every morning I take her a cup of tea before she gets up, except this particular morning I gave her my work keys and said, "give these to the manager and tell him I quit." 

So I have now retired 3 months earlier than planned, I was going to finish in August.

Plenty to do around the house both inside and out.

Oh. A little more time to spend in the ORBX world.

So, I wonder what would have happened if I had not had that extra drink.

BTW 365 x 22 x 5* = 40150 mugs of tea

* = 5 mugs a day, and I forgot leap years!

LOL, did basically the same thing myself last August. Just couldn't force myself to go to work, for basically the same reasons.  I worked for National - Alamo, when they owned themselves. When Enterprise bought us out, it went to Hades in a handbasket. One day I just couldn't take it any more...

LOL

Sue

Life is full of decision points Martyn.  And we often wonder what path our lives would have taken had we gone the other way.  What if I had taken that other job offer instead of this one?  What if I had asked that girl to marry me instead of this one?  What if I had taken that assignment to Europe instead of going to Japan?  The forks in life's road boggle the mind when you think of them.

When I was working for STC in Colorado one of our assembly girls told me her husband was in the Naval Reserve.  I had 16 years of active duty and that conversation with her spurred me to join the Colorado Air National Guard.  I had just enough time before the mandatory retirement age of 60.  And here I am enjoying the retirement pay of a senior NCO.  What if I had not had that conversation with that woman?

Looks like you and I both made good choices Martyn.

Noel

Fascinating story KDK and a correct decision made by

the sounds of it. Life is to short, I'm fortunate enough to still be here  

having had a life time of health issues, make the most of it. Enjoy

your retirement and mugs of tea. (yuck):D

cheers

Gumby

The inept so-called leadership struck a cord with me. A career in IT has me almost constantly frustrated at the attitude of putting time and cost over quality from our management.

Yes I hate it. So why do I still do it?

It pays well enough that I can fly privately and I can help keep my wife and kids in a comfortable lifestyle. That may seem bogus to some but life is full of compromises.

I respect your decision and it takes guts to say enough is enough. I will do it myself... someday.

3 hours ago, Hobnobs said:

The inept so-called leadership struck a cord with me. A career in IT has me almost constantly frustrated at the attitude of putting time and cost over quality from our management.

It pays well enough that I can fly privately and I can help keep my wife and kids in a comfortable lifestyle. That may seem bogus to some but life is full of compromises.

I respect your decision and it takes guts to say enough is enough. I will do it myself... someday.

When you fail your medical that "working to fly" may not have been as good as you believed. I retired in 2001 and decided to just develop a different lifestyle. Children gone (almost-they never are) and the house became a condo. I still have a little back yard to mow on a hill for exercise. I adopted my PC as a true entertainment center. Beefed it up and with FSX/P3D/ORBX as well as  a Trainz/TANE train simulator. All funded by Social Security and supported Obama/Medicare Care as well as a fortunate investment. My greatest shock was seeing my retirement dollars. I really never paid any attention to it, just worked and collected a check. Well the many years of "50s cent on the dollar" matching my retirement savings appears to be the the key to comfort. That ain't around no more... Remember they do not call it the "daily grind" for nothing. It grinds you health, attitude and family.

You're right Dick.  Loss of your FAA medical leaves a big hole when you can fly no more.  Retirement forces a lifestyle change.  For me mostly for the better.  Almost no worries.  With Social Security for my wife and I and my military retirement with an almost free healthcare benefit I feel pretty secure.

My father taught me that happiness is being satisfied with what you have assuming there is a roof over your head, clothes on your back, and food in the pantry.  I have a bit more than that and am well satisfied and grateful that our golden years have turned out to be truly golden for us.

Noel 

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 7:25 AM, Stillwater said:

Thank you, Martyn, for sharing these pieces of truth with us. The key decision sounds great, I am sure you will enjoy remembering it very often. And: keep the mug safe (mine is 25 now...).

Thanks Gerold. One of those defining moments for sure.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 7:51 AM, stewart1 said:

Nice story I like my tea as well several mugs per day I lose count of how many its tea that keeps me going regards stewart

Cheers Stewart. I think the English run on tea!

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:02 AM, RJ said:

Loved your story, Martyn. :)

Thank you RJ.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:30 AM, Penzoil3 said:

LOL, did basically the same thing myself last August. Just couldn't force myself to go to work, for basically the same reasons.  I worked for National - Alamo, when they owned themselves. When Enterprise bought us out, it went to Hades in a handbasket. One day I just couldn't take it any more...

LOL

Sue

Good for you Sue. It sounded good when we got taken over too, famous last words!

I used that old French saying, "the more things change, the more they stay the same."

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:03 AM, boetie said:

The power of a cuppa! Enjoy Martyn!

Thanks Graeme, enjoying it, I am.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:22 AM, birdguy said:

Life is full of decision points Martyn.  And we often wonder what path our lives would have taken had we gone the other way.  What if I had taken that other job offer instead of this one?  What if I had asked that girl to marry me instead of this one?  What if I had taken that assignment to Europe instead of going to Japan?  The forks in life's road boggle the mind when you think of them.

When I was working for STC in Colorado one of our assembly girls told me her husband was in the Naval Reserve.  I had 16 years of active duty and that conversation with her spurred me to join the Colorado Air National Guard.  I had just enough time before the mandatory retirement age of 60.  And here I am enjoying the retirement pay of a senior NCO.  What if I had not had that conversation with that woman?

Looks like you and I both made good choices Martyn.

Noel

Thanks Noel. Another defining moment to add to the list.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:58 AM, gumbypickett said:

Fascinating story KDK and a correct decision made by

the sounds of it. Life is to short, I'm fortunate enough to still be here  

having had a life time of health issues, make the most of it. Enjoy

your retirement and mugs of tea. (yuck):D

cheers

Gumby

Thanks Gumby.

Life is not only short but also quick. I don't know where the years have gone.

23 hours ago, Hobnobs said:

There lies the problem Dean, a had to choose between earning a little extra for planned retirement of finishing early and relieving the stress.

Nobody yet has said I have made the wrong decision.

19 hours ago, boleyd said:

When you fail your medical that "working to fly" may not have been as good as you believed. I retired in 2001 and decided to just develop a different lifestyle. Children gone (almost-they never are) and the house became a condo. I still have a little back yard to mow on a hill for exercise. I adopted my PC as a true entertainment center. Beefed it up and with FSX/P3D/ORBX as well as  a Trainz/TANE train simulator. All funded by Social Security and supported Obama/Medicare Care as well as a fortunate investment. My greatest shock was seeing my retirement dollars. I really never paid any attention to it, just worked and collected a check. Well the many years of "50s cent on the dollar" matching my retirement savings appears to be the the key to comfort. That ain't around no more... Remember they do not call it the "daily grind" for nothing. It grinds you health, attitude and family.

Great stuff especially the last line.

Tried the Train Simulator a few years ago but I did not like the lack of freedom, but still great fun.

14 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Oh that's good news - I guess?!

Yesterday evening I lay in bed and had so much to think because of all the great talk going on here. This contributes to the number of memorable posts.

Thanks Erik, believe me it is good news!

I suppose one of the reasons I get out of bed so early is to get on the forum and to fly. It was very strange not having contact with all you great people last week.

Thanks so much everybody for your great comments.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:20 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Thanks for sharing your story. It's amazing how much better life is when you get out from under a boatload of stress. Best wishes for a peaceful and serene retirement, mate!

Thanks Rodger, life really has taken a turn for the better.

I'm still some way from retirement but your stories struck a chord with me too. For many years I had a well paid but stressful career in banking IT, kept going until the stress caught up and I couldn't any longer.

Well since then I've 'downsized' and being fortunate enough to have paid the mortgage etc. found that I can live reasonably well on a lot less so now I work part time at an ok job which might not be that interesting but is manageable for me.

I realised I didn't want to have to wait until I retire to have more time to do the things I enjoy doing. Although flight simulation isn't the cheapest hobby it's a lot more economical than many other pursuits and really does give me a lot of interest and pleasure. The great thing with Orbx is there's always something else to look forward to though even with the time I have available now I'll never be able to explore everywhere.

So I can well imagine why many of you love being able to do this in retirement and that it's good enough to satisfy the real-world pilots as well. Orbx (and flight sim in general) helped me keep going through some difficult times and I can't imagine being without them now.

Rob

Welcome to the retirement club Martyn . I hope you enjoy it as much as I have the last couple of years . Now I know why you have been so active as of late on the forum .

Their loss (your old workplace) is our gain (Orbx forum) . :):)

Take care

John

Hi Martyn, and a belated (I don't usually look much in the non-picture forums) welcome to the world of "retirement". And well done on your move. Life really is too short to put up with the carp any longer than you absolutely have to, so if you even slightly think you might survive the jump, you should always do it. We finally managed to sell our secondhand book shop last year after over two years of trying and are now supposedly retired. That was a second career for both my wife and I, each of us having killed off an entire industry previously (magazine publishing for her, mainframe computing for me) and having already made one such jump at the turn of the millennium when we moved down here and took up book-selling.

I remember the conversation I had with my headmaster when I left school. I was 15 years old and he was trying to extoll the virtues of education and persuade me to stay on and consider college/uni etc, but being a bolshie so-and-so I explained that my career path was basically to sign on the dole until I could claim my pension (in my defence, I would say that this was the sixties and I was very much a provincial hippie at the time). My cunning plan came to naught though, as there was a 48 year detour through the wonderful world of employment, self-employment, and small business ownership until finally I got here!

If you can stay in touch with your inner 14 year old (I most definitely have done so, and you strike me as a person who can do that), then you should be starting out on the most rewarding part of your life. I may make a lot of strange noises these days when I move around and various bits of me wouldn't pass an MOT test, but life is exactly as it should be. I don't have to put up with idiots trying to tell me what to do (apart from politicians, of course) and I can get up at a civilized time of day.

On 17/06/2016 at 10:09 PM, VH-KDK said:

Plenty to do around the house both inside and out.

Reality is I haven't been so busy for years. It's a real problem being a mildly handy bl***y-minded perfectionist when you need jobs doing around the house! We've learned over the years that most tradesmen don't want to bother with what they consider the little jobs, and even if they do take it on they make a bodge of it, so I'm currently halfway through a complete bathroom re-fit, and have just had to put that on hold while I replace an entire kitchen in one of the flats we rent out. And l've still got about 200 metres of hedge to cut back if it ever stops raining long enough to get outside. And then there's the extra bookcases I was going to build in my office. Oh, and then there's . . . .

And somehow I've still got to find time to check out all the new scenery coming out of here.

And read all the books I acquired from the bookshop.

And get back in to baking my own bread.

And . . .

Sheesh! they need to come up with another word for it - retirement doesn't seem right, somehow.

Either way though - you made it!   Enjoy!

Andy

Archived