Woppa, wokka, choppas

VH-KDK

Only having some of the smaller helicopters I took advantage of the Virtavia sale to buy some big choppers.

More than happy with the 4 that I brought.

1.ww9.jpg

A long way from home this Australian Chinook is searching out the RTMM shipping in Prince William Sound.

2.ww4.jpg

A magnificent CH-53 Sea Stalllion out of Haines AK. I am sure these were the big beasties I saw at Farnborough in the early 70s making such an impressive sight and sound.

3.ww1.jpg

The Chinook was another chopper I was impressed by at the same Farnborough show. This one is out of Birchwood AK.

4.ww8.jpg

Another CH-53 thunders out of KTEX.

5.ww2.jpg

This Chinook os over the Hanford Nuclear facility in Washington.

6.ww6.jpg

The Sea Knight has just left Bonners Ferry.

7.ww7.jpg

The Pavelow is near Redding, very impressed with the stock sounds of these choppers although I did invest in a Chinook sound set.

8.ww5.jpg

The Sea King at Deadhorse. Watched part of a programme about the Dalton Highway a few days ago which made me take a look here.

9.ww3.jpg

Coming in to try and land at KEGE. Ended up finding a big patch of grass near the control tower and taxiing in to the parking spot.

This really was money well spent for me and has rekindled my interest in choppers.

Hope you enjoy looking.

14 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A magnificent CH-53 Sea Stalllion out of Haines AK. I am sure these were the big beasties I saw at Farnborough in the early 70s making such an impressive sight and sound.

I really like to hear & see the CH-53s, quite often they come over to my office window from Buckeburg army.

10 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Very good set KDK,   choppers you think

should be easy to land, but I still haven't mastered it

I end up all over the place.:):(

Landing a copter (at the place you want) is one of the most delicate things, at least for me.

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:09 PM, Capt Pugwash said:

Great collection of  'big choppers'...I sure miss my Chinook now I am 100% P3D

Thank you Shaun, the price we pay for progress.

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:18 PM, Bermuda425 said:

These look but sterling! Looking herculanean your new choice of helis. And flying through those foggy valleys is a pleasure.

Cheers Bermuda.

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:53 PM, gumbypickett said:

Very good set KDK,   choppers you think

Same here Gumby, not enough practice and my technique is terrible. Time to try and learn properly again I think.

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 6:03 PM, Taph said:

Fine set

Thanks Taph.

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 7:09 PM, andy1252 said:

Got yourself some lovely machines there Martyn, and some great shots with them.

You're obviously going to have some fun with those!

Thanks Andy, adds another perspective to my FS world.

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 7:12 PM, Voyager said:

A great set of shots and so loved creatures! Fine indeed!

Voyager

iPhone Tapatalk

Thank you Voyager.

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:10 PM, Turboarrow4 said:

A very nice collection. Looks like a good choice...

Cheers Thorsten.

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:27 PM, RJ said:

CH-53 are really impressive helis. Is your hangar full now? Fantastic collection you have. :)

Thanks RJ, only ever seen one once but I can still remember the sight and sound of it. Hangar 4 is full now so soon time to unlock the door of hangar 5!

On ‎3‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:23 AM, Iain Emms said:

Grand set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

On ‎3‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:48 AM, bvdboomen said:

Nice! I am a big helicopter fan myself in real world.

Cheers, they are amazing machines for sure.

On ‎3‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 2:32 AM, olderndirt said:

An air force - you could be an 'emerging nation' and qualify for some of this funny money they call 'foreign aid' :).

Thanks Oldendirt, ah yes foreign aid. Time to build myself a new palace full of luxuries and then re equip my armed forces. Let them eat cake.

On ‎3‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:20 AM, Stillwater said:

I really like to hear & see the CH-53s, quite often they come over to my office window from Buckeburg army.

Landing a copter (at the place you want) is one of the most delicate things, at least for me.

A very impressive sight and sound they must be too Gerold.

I have about a 10% success rate in my chopper landing. I am usually lucky if I get it down within the confines of the airport.

On ‎3‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:12 AM, dolf8857 said:

Great choppa shots Martyn!

Cheers Dolf.

On ‎3‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:10 AM, BradB said:

These are all fantastic shots my friend . :):)

Cheers

John

Thank you John.

On ‎3‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, Mohamed Amin said:

great shots, i enjoyed them!

Thank you Mohamed.

Many thanks for your comments and interest. Glad you enjoyed the shots.

On 6/2/2016 at 0:53 AM, gumbypickett said:

choppers you think

I love helicopters for exploring ORBX scenery.  Great pics!

If you are having problems flying helicopters in your flight sim, one of the biggest reasons is having too large a null zone setup for the center of your controller (joystick, etc), AND too low a "Sensitivity" setting for it.  The first thing you should try is setting NO null zone for the controller, AND set the "Sensitivity" to 100%.  Flying a helicopter is a "full time input" activity.  You need to constantly be able to make very small, very fine and precise corrections in your control inputs, especially during landings.  Having too big a null zone in the center of your controller with too low Sensitivity settings causes you to have to pass back and forth between the no-inputs null zone area at the centered position of your controller.  You end up "chasing" your previous inputs THROUGH the null zone, and things can get out of hand quickly.

Try setting you controller's centered null zone to "zero" (no null zone at all), AND the "Sensitivity" to 100%.  THEN check to see if there are any "spurious inputs" taking place WITHOUT the controller being moved when centered (in something like FSUIPC, you can see the "numbers" for the controllers range of motion jumping around if this is happening).  If that happens, it is an indication that the electronics (or "pots") in your controller may be wearing out.  Increase the null zone size JUST ENOUGH to eliminate any unwanted inputs happening when the controller is centered, then go fly a helicopter.  With a little practice then, you'll be able to land that helicopter on a dime.

The above won't work if your controller requires a large null zone due to it wearing out, etc.  Ideally, a totally zero null zone is the best thing to have for flying a helicopter in your flight sim.

When you go back to a winged airplane, you may easily OVER correct with the above settings.  Flying a winged airplane vs a helicopter usually requires two different controller setups.  I have two "saved" controller setups...one for winged airplanes and one for choppers.

Thanks for the tips Falcon. My null settings were set to default,

so I  reset to zero and played around for a while. I did notice a

difference for the better, but still a lot of practice needed. I'll

keep at it:huh::o

cheers

Gumby

Gumby

On ‎8‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:27 PM, ryanbatc said:

Neat pics...

Thank you Ryan

On ‎8‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 2:24 PM, PDX Flyer said:

Shots 8 and 2 are the winners.  Actually, we are the winners, being able to look at them.

Thanks for that PDX.

On ‎8‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 2:33 PM, FalconAF said:

I love helicopters for exploring ORBX scenery.  Great pics!

If you are having problems flying helicopters in your flight sim, one of the biggest reasons is having too large a null zone setup for the center of your controller (joystick, etc), AND too low a "Sensitivity" setting for it.  The first thing you should try is setting NO null zone for the controller, AND set the "Sensitivity" to 100%.  Flying a helicopter is a "full time input" activity.  You need to constantly be able to make very small, very fine and precise corrections in your control inputs, especially during landings.  Having too big a null zone in the center of your controller with too low Sensitivity settings causes you to have to pass back and forth between the no-inputs null zone area at the centered position of your controller.  You end up "chasing" your previous inputs THROUGH the null zone, and things can get out of hand quickly.

Try setting you controller's centered null zone to "zero" (no null zone at all), AND the "Sensitivity" to 100%.  THEN check to see if there are any "spurious inputs" taking place WITHOUT the controller being moved when centered (in something like FSUIPC, you can see the "numbers" for the controllers range of motion jumping around if this is happening).  If that happens, it is an indication that the electronics (or "pots") in your controller may be wearing out.  Increase the null zone size JUST ENOUGH to eliminate any unwanted inputs happening when the controller is centered, then go fly a helicopter.  With a little practice then, you'll be able to land that helicopter on a dime.

The above won't work if your controller requires a large null zone due to it wearing out, etc.  Ideally, a totally zero null zone is the best thing to have for flying a helicopter in your flight sim.

When you go back to a winged airplane, you may easily OVER correct with the above settings.  Flying a winged airplane vs a helicopter usually requires two different controller setups.  I have two "saved" controller setups...one for winged airplanes and one for choppers.

Thanks for your help here Falcon. I will give this a try as my landing attempts are dreadful and any help is appreciated. I am sure nearly all of us greatly appreciate the time you spend with your in depth replies to try and help us, thanks again:).

On ‎8‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:02 PM, gumbypickett said:

Thanks for the tips Falcon. My null settings were set to default,

so I  reset to zero and played around for a while. I did notice a

difference for the better, but still a lot of practice needed. I'll

keep at it:huh::o

cheers

Gumby

Good luck, lets hope that Falcons advise can give us some happier landings.

Thanks for your comments fellas.

Archived