YBBN P3Dv3 - a colossal achievement!

Framerate killer in FSX/P3Dv2 it always was - but I always loved it!!! :wub: So *packed* with detail.

It's been a long wait - due, I think, to the sheer complexity of FTX YBBN. This really isn't a simple "re-packaging" for P3Dv3 - it looks like a complete makeover. With the FTX Central CP, you get all sorts of combinations of photoreal/ground polys etc. to help with performance - but regardless of the setting, it all looks absolutely stunning.

You only need to look at some of the old threads (about blurred taxiways, markings etc.) to see that YBBN was one of the "older" airports. IMHO, ORBX desrve a *lot* of credit for the sheer amount amount of work that must have gone into this update. Show your appreciation by buying it (quick - while the sale is still on!!!).

I'm sure there'll be dozens of shots flooding the forum, but here a just a quick few - not even particularly well set up - just to show it's there, it works and it's superb!!

ybbn_01_645_1350.jpg

I love the P3D lighting. See how the (little!!!) DC3 receives shadows - and how the poles cast shadows on other airport objects.
ybbn_02_638_1350.jpg

ybbn_03_461_1350.jpg

YBBN is a fairly large airport - surrounded by lots of additional detail - so LOTS to explore and enjoy.

Adam.

I agree it is a fine rendition of YBBN. With all the Control Panel options ticked it is heavy on the FPS but I love it. It has particularly fond memories for me in reality, as I was on the first ever flight into the "new" Brisbane airport. I was on a Quantas flight from Heathrow, enroute to Christchurch for an assignment in NZ. Arriving in the very early hours of the morning (pre dawn) we were met by a couple of dignitaries including the Governor of the State and presented with commemorative medals. The airport's design was based on Stanstead.

have to agree about YBBN, still downloading now, also Ed's great Wollongong AP will install that tomorrow. these guys have been real busy and thankyou all for the amount of work you have all put in. 

I tried it in P3D. WIth most features turned off I get around 20 fps (with the NGX), not good but ok. However at night, i lose another 5-6 frames depending on where i am looking. I hope it can be enhanced at some point even more.

For sure Adam, it would be a huge task to produce this, it is by far my first and fav airport even back in the voz days, it`s a shame Orbx will not update it, the new parallel rwy 01L and 19R are about 18 months away from seeing concrete laid, and the completion and relocation of FBO including the RFD and Corporate AIr to the old International terminal area, also the International and Domestic 2 Apron extensions were completed 3 years ago now.

31 minutes ago, Bermuda425 said:

Super brilliant shotz!

I'm afraid I can't take much credit for that!!! :lol:

Would an ORBX dev care to comment on whether YBBN was re-worked/improved in any way - or was the work purely in the installer? My impression is that it looks like a lot has changed - but that's maybe because it's been a long while since I've been there and, as they say, "absence makes the heart grow fonder"!!!

Either way, the result looks amazing. *Definitely* worth grabbing (cheap, while you can)!

Adam.

37 minutes ago, Bermuda425 said:

How's your fps in this area with the new version? You're so happy, that's great ^_^

Not brilliant. I daren't quote the actual numbers, but people who know me say I love slide shows anyway (I do!!). As anyone visiting these forums knows, taking screenshots seems to occupy 99% of my sim time. As a [failed] artist/graphic designer I just love the visuals and don't worry about choppy framerates, so have every slider maxed out - pure lunacy on my very modest/old hardware. YBBN is, after all, a pretty *old* airport by ORBX coding standards, so it certainly won't be up there with later work - but I don't care!

I suppose if I wanted performance (when messing with procedures etc. in complex jetliners like the NGX) then I'd reconfigure my sim - but I even enjoy the slow updates there as it gives me more time to work out why my MCDU has gone crazy ^_^

Adam.

EDIT: I forgot to add the blindingly simple/obvious: not blindingly fast, but OK enough for general use! It was a real killer for me in my old FSX (same hardware) but P3D is faster all round on my machine. Hard to compare.

Archived