Goin' down the California coast - looking for Bixby

andy1252

Headed out from KHAF Half Moon Bay planning to look for Bixby Bridge. I did the drive down HW1 from SF to LA a couple of times back in the day but my memory of the places is obviously a bit out. I remembered Half Moon Bay as being halfway down to LA, somewhere past Big Sur, so when I found KHAF on Google I was a bit surprised but I guess the real world must be right (unless they moved it). So now I wasn't sure where Bixby Bridge would be either (I remembered it as just outside Carmel, but we've just seen how well that works!).

Anyway, think I found it in the end. So just a couple of shots - first, heading down towards Santa Cruz (maybe <grin>)

ScreenShot2016-05-0217-13.jpg

bit cloudy over Monterey bay

ScreenShot2016-05-0217-02.jpg

cleared down to hazy once I got out past Carmel

ScreenShot2016-05-0117-21.jpg

ScreenShot2016-05-0121-46001.jpg

think that might be Bixby Bridge ahead -

ScreenShot2016-05-0117-17.jpg

ScreenShot2016-05-0117-17001.jpg

I think that must have been it. Checked it out on Google Earth and it seemed about right. Didn't take any closer screenies as it doesn't seem to be a feature that has been specifically modelled in SCA, which seems a shame. I remember it as quite spectacular, in a subtle sort of way.

Also have memories of a village further down called Christmas, or similar, which was basically a christmas sales pitch. Bit weird in the heat of a Californian July but hey ho. I;ll see if I can find that sometime as well. Ahhh - too much fun!

Thanks folks, this really is too much fun.

30 minutes ago, JS07 said:

Andy, now I'm REALLY jealous!  I simply have to buy P3D.  That first one looks like it should be printed as a postcard. Very beautiful shots.

Hi Jack, I would definitely recommend it. I don't want to start any kind of sim flame war with this comment, but I find FSX hard to look at now. Even with all the add-ons like Orbx and with Rex and ASN etc, the basic graphics engine for me is just not good enough. Not knocking its flying capabilities, and it is the underlying engine for P3D, but with P3D (particularly since 3.2 came out) it really is like being there. Given that I'm primarily a scenery slut rather than a wingnut, it's the one for me.

24 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Thanks folks, this really is too much fun.

Hi Jack, I would definitely recommend it. I don't want to start any kind of sim flame war with this comment, but I find FSX hard to look at now. Even with all the add-ons like Orbx and with Rex and ASN etc, the basic graphics engine for me is just not good enough. Not knocking its flying capabilities, and it is the underlying engine for P3D, but with P3D (particularly since 3.2 came out) it really is like being there. Given that I'm primarily a scenery slut rather than a wingnut, it's the one for me.

I don't see a flame war Andy, I think P3D is the future for me.  It will be painful but from all the screenshots I see it just looks much nicer. It looks like they changed the color palette, it's greener to my eyes anyway.  And I love the cloud and cockpit shadow.  Much more realistic.  I know some people use DX-10 and Nick even tried to help me set it up but it's way over head.  So with a new SSD and P3D as a fresh install I'll have a better looking sim.  Just trying to get everything to work will be a pain.

I'm just glad Orbx is kind enough to have multiple installers.

Archived