FTX Cote d'Azur cityscape sea and hills

6 minutes ago, sim123 said:

Just read that Justsim is making airport Nice Cote Azur for P3D , and that will be released soon, is this airport blending

together with orbx ?, 

Due of this release don't expect a new makeover of Nice by aerosoft anymore.

Hi Sim,

this is  a very good news, since JustSim aiports are absolutely stunning. I purchased all of them. I think too that in this case Aerosoft will forget an update. But by them I'm eagerly awaiting their brand new Approaching Innsbruck. So Austria will be filled with lots of P3D v3.x compatible airports (Vienna, Salzburg, Linz, Graz etc.).

You terrible guys :P But i also understand you, in fact i have never forgot the compatibility options for this scenery, even because the cityscape is not directly focused on the airport and under this aspect a very good compatibility of a 3d party addon with it, it's important.

Have patience and you will see, ok? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Compatibility would mean a way to switch off VFR France Nice /Monaco rendition. I doubt there is a provision for that. Also, VFR France has no seasonal or night textures and don't try to be compatible with the OrbX palette. So compatibility wouldn't make any sense.

One more reason to beg  Maurizio to go West, to Cannes and St Tropez next :lol: !

I agree. I was tempted to combine some VFR France sceneries (notably Paris) with FTX OpenLC, but they always rejected to provide any ORBX compatibility on purpose. Why should ORBX aim for compatibility?

Kind regards, Michael

2 hours ago, pmb said:

but they always rejected to provide any ORBX compatibility on purpose. Why should ORBX aim for compatibility?

Kind regards, Michael

Are you really sure?

I am not an insider, but as far as I know VFR could have summitted their lclookup entries to ORBX for inclusion into their lclookup mechanism, as many other makers like Aerosoft (e.g. for their Germany VFR series) did. As far as I heard they always rejected to do so. Instead, they collected a number of like-minded makers to support their own Autogen Global X tool. Would you call this aiming for FTX compatibility?

I will gladly stand corrected if I am wrong. At present, I don't buy any more France VFR sceneries as I don't want another error-prone autogen switching mechanism which their tools provides.

Kind regards, Michael

8 minutes ago, pmb said:

I am not an insider, but as far as I know VFR could have summitted their lclookup entries to ORBX for inclusion into their lclookup mechanism, as many other makers like Aerosoft (e.g. for their Germany VFR series) did. As far as I heard they always rejected to do so. Instead, they collected a number of like-minded makers to support their own Autogen Global X tool. Would you call this aiming for FTX compatibility?

I will gladly stand corrected if I am wrong. At present, I don't buy any more France VFR sceneries as I don't want another error-prone autogen switching mechanism which their tools provides.

Kind regards, Michael

Exactly so Michael. Without an interchange with lclookup, there can't be compatibility. Without entering company's politics, i know that Orbx asked France VFR to share the definitions, but the agreement wasn't done. Maybe many of you are wondering why just this area, the reason is because i particularly like it and i visited the area so often when i was a child with my family, i have wonderful memories of it. Apart this, it's a very beautiful area and according to me needs a Orbx treatment :P

Lclookup.bgl has no effect with a photoscenery. It's only for vector polygon and landclass.

The point is the autogen definition which is under copyright in case of custom stuff. That's all

Love it without question.

just curious, is the new Orbx 3D Building going to able to be utilised to help with performance, or has Orbx 3D Building come too late to be used, or is there no need from a performance point of view.

Thanks again for such beautiful work

I feel something is merged here: I'm sure, we are talking about autogen-compatibilities, not about the lclookup. The unified lclookup is backwardcompatible as I know so with that file there are no problems. I'm sure, the most addons don't use this for their functions.

I wrote in another post here (unfortunately I forgot which it was) that for P3Dv3-users, (hopefully the most here?) a very comfortable solution exists: in autogen.cfg, located in programdata... you can define and point out to every autogen-constellation you like. You can put the autogenfiles from FranceVFR or ES, using the same name like these ones coming default or from ORBX (but got other contents of course) separately in their own folders. There exists a folder-set from ES which contains modifications for FranceVFR too. Just point out to that folder in the autogen.cfg and you can drive FranceVFR, ES Isle Of Man; ORBX Ireland and even global or openLC together without any problem and having all autogen without errors. I use this since P3Dv3 was released.

Kai

38 minutes ago, KaiUweWeiss said:

There exists a folder-set from ES which contains modifications for FranceVFR too.

The autogen definitions of France VFR contained in these old files are completely obsolete !

32 minutes ago, Handie said:

The autogen definitions of France VFR contained in these old files are completely obsolete !

Why? These files are from 2014.

By the way: if you feel these files don't represent the latest FranceVFR autogen just make a copy of your current autogenfolder, then install FranceVFR, save the fresh installed autogenfolder and replace it with the original one and put the folder for FVFR into FranceVFR. After that point out to that folder in the autogen.cfg; for FSX you have to use the mergertool of course.

There is a simple problem using two photoreals in the same area. You loose a part of autogen in the grids that are commons in the boundary, because the scenery that is up in the scenery library takes the priority on the other. If in the same folder there are two different photoreals of the same area, (for instance one at 30cm and the other at 1 m, that one with the highest resolution is displayed, but sometimes with some issues).

The scenery is anyway designed to work with FTX global, this is the aim of the project. I know that you like to experiment various possibilities anyway :)

2 minutes ago, Maurizio Giorgi said:

The scenery is anyway designed to work with FTX global, this is the aim of the project. I know that you like to experiment various possibilities anyway :)

An into FTX France, hopefully to surface one nice day :)

Kind regards, Michael

Someone asked what the point was in making this scenery compatible with the new FranceVFR product in reply to this very request. Well the point in my opinion is plain and simple to get additionsl photoreal coverage (with autogen) for all of the PACA region. I am all for FTX Global and in fact I own it myself but to me photoreal has the clear edge over repetetive textures. It cant be a coinsidence that Orbx areas with plenty of photoscenery surrounding it like Palm Springs and Eagle County is so popular. People like photoreal, at least I do and when purchasing an Orbx airport I alway check to se how big of a photoreal area is included more=better :) so making this scenery compatible with the new FranceVFR PACA Vol 1 makes sense.

Mike

7 hours ago, mikced76 said:

. People like photoreal

Mike

The reason why some people are Orbx customers of regions or OpenLCs is because they don't like PR, Mike ;). Putting aside the lack of seasons, PR sceneries may somewhat be truer to reality but are for me less convincing, less immersive.  Even with a good mesh and autogen they look flatish. The terrain looks stretched on steep slopes.  I'll have a LC map with a good set of textures anyday ! Now, in certain cases like special terrains, PR rules of course. 

Well I agree and disagree. Pacific Northwest has been one of the best Flightsim purchases I have ever made and no where else on the globe have I spent more virtual time...but with that said when Jarrad releases one of his absolutely beautiful global airports its to the photoscenery I look first! how much of photoreal goodness did he add this time for me to enjoy. In all honesty that is also one of the selling points advertised with the products for example "Huge photoreal coverage area! 1500 km2" :)  Anyway my point is some people like photoreal and others dont so why not give the option of both. Many developers do.

Then of course there is bad photoreal scenery, flat, pale and so on, but in my humble opinion FranceVFR is very good at that

Mike

1 hour ago, mikced76 said:

Well I agree and disagree. Pacific Northwest has been one of the best Flightsim purchases I have ever made and no where else on the globe have I spent more virtual time...but with that said when Jarrad releases one of his absolutely beautiful global airports its to the photoscenery I look first! how much of photoreal goodness did he add this time for me to enjoy. In all honesty that is also one of the selling points advertised with the products for example "Huge photoreal coverage area! 1500 km2" :)  Anyway my point is some people like photoreal and others dont so why not give the option of both. Many developers do.

Then of course there is bad photoreal scenery, flat, pale and so on, but in my humble opinion FranceVFR is very good at that

Mike

Yes I suppose they are. I had a look, I live there after all ;) . Not convinced at that time, the videos on their screenshot forum are a stutter fest, watched from my rig. Honest but kinda counter-productive if anything. And the absence of compatibility with OpenLC is a non starter.

To come back to Maurizio's, I am sure he is extremely busy optimizing, there is such an amount of autogen  !

On 7/26/2016 at 6:59 PM, pmb said:

An into FTX France, hopefully to surface one nice day :)

Kind regards, Michael

I don't hold my breath on that one :lol:.

All the terrain at 60cm, Orbx libraries  and mesh at 4 mt, makes according to me a photoreal enough immersive. What it could be repetite is building or vegetation, but here, for instance, vegetation is real in every his part, the buildings too are various to give the sense of reality. This is what distinguishes a work when you only compile data, versus a complete recreation of the terrain, in manual mode. When you are in flight, you immediately notice this. I don't spend years of work so that my scenery looks like to other sceneries, with all the respect. Then you can like it or not, but from my point of view, i am sure to have done the max to reach the wanted realism.

Of course, it does. Reversing to Californian places with never ending summer, Nice is known to have Alps mountain not far away. In winter, people can both go to skying and to the beach. Vegetation also have variation along seasons except there is very hard winter but that can happen:

Nice_winter.jpg

Oh yes, Nice had snow on the beaches last year.  Not exactly a common problem though!

At the right time and the right place, photoreal is very convincing.  In ORBX it looks good on Vesuvius, for example, rocky mountainsides without vegetation little affected by seasonal variation but for the most part I am not a fan.  However I particularly hate it with airport sceneries.  Car parks full of flat cars take away from realism rather than add to it and I've taxied over too many flat Cessnas.  Very much looking forward to Nice, it will enhance what is now a fine collection of airport scenery around the Med.  Regards, Mark

On 7/28/2016 at 6:55 AM, Richard Bui said:

Of course, it does. Reversing to Californian places with never ending summer, Nice is known to have Alps mountain not far away. In winter, people can both go to skying and to the beach. Vegetation also have variation along seasons except there is very hard winter but that can happen:

Nice_winter.jpg

Not entirely accurate: http://www.gettyimages.com/pictures/the-snow-capped-peaks-of-the-san-gabriel-mountains-can-be-news-photo-504726836

In Los Angeles you can surf at the beach and ski in fresh snow then go back to the beach and surf with only 45 minutes travel in between. 

I thought too to give snow to the mountains behind Nice, anyway the general lanclasses are not showing snow there in winter, so i have to think if the realism must prevail (putting the snow) or to render it compared with the surround outside the scenery (without snow or at least with a moderate dusted), where snow would appear a bit isolated.

39 minutes ago, Maurizio Giorgi said:

...  where snow would appear a bit isolated.

I think it would be one bit dissonant ... Unless you make a trigger of these light snowy mountains on the control panel.
Does this would be very troublesome?:o
Well, no matter, it's just a thought.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Voyager

• 1 month later...

Thanks Adam and Francois :) I am rendering Nice at the moment, but i'll post some preview only when it's finished. Not that making autogen is really fun, but i am enjoying particularly this part of scenery, Nice is really wonderful and i like also the coast in this area. I think it won't take too long to make the city but outside it, yes it takes more time, very various landscape.

Archived