You call those Merlins?

VH-KDK

Saw some shots of the new JF Mosquito and decided to put this on my birthday list.:)

Being very strong willed after about 15 seconds I caved in and brought it:rolleyes:

Not a bad plane at all and I am now able to fly a Mossie in the ORBX world as up until now I only had an excellent freeware one in FSX.

1.mf2.jpg
So my first flight out of Palm Spring and one thing was soon very evident, the JF Mosquito only has Rotax 912 engines.:(

2.mf3.jpg

My old 1999 AU Falcon sounds more like a Mosquito than this.:lol:

3.mf4.jpg

So after importing a suitable freeware sound pack it is over to KTEX. Yes I was going to put a limit on what FS products I brought but that great idea lasted only 2 weeks:ph34r:

4.mf5.jpg

Listen carefully. THOSE are Merlins.

5.mf6.jpg
There is a view out of the window for Andy. Buy it Andy, this is a classic British aircraft.

6.mf7.jpg
Climbing effortlessly past some magnificent KTEX mountains.

7.mf8.jpg

A view over the shoulder, I forgot to see if the Very Pistol works.

8.mf9.jpg

Just cant get enough of those Merlins. The Missus has left the room so crank up the volume.

9.mf10.jpg

The beautiful lines of the Wooden Wonder.

10.mf11.jpg

Just behind the rear port nacelle is an AI aircraft.

11.mf12.jpg

After flying for a minute I realised I was catching it and it turned out to be a nice C-130. "g'day chaps!"

12.mf13.jpg

Two of the most recognisable and famous aircraft built flying together at FL300.

13.mf14.jpg

Another view out of the window.

14.mf15.jpg

One last look and time to head for home.

I like the Mossie but surely JF could do better with the sound.

They produce some great planes only to spoil them with shocking sound sets.

For me sound is important!

Great birthday present you got yourself, Martyn. And good to hear the Missus left the room so that you could make use of the freeware sound.

Unfortunate your good budgeting idea was lost after only two weeks. But, hey, we are staying on the planet for only a few decades, so have fun in that time!

2 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Great birthday present you got yourself, Martyn. And good to hear the Missus left the room so that you could make use of the freeware sound.

Unfortunate your good budgeting idea was lost after only two weeks. But, hey, we are staying on the planet for only a few decades, so have fun in that time!

Thanks Gerold,. what with the Merlins and the Bee Gees album ( it is the first of May tomorrow!) I brought tonight the wife has had a torrid evening.

May as well buy what I want  as you cannot take it with you. You never know when your number is picked out of that big barrel in the sky

I love these wonderful moments where we realize that our virtual hangar is too full and we decide to wait for a couple of months before we buy some more stuff. And then bang...within seconds we forget all about it, gladly fork out the plastic and actually feel damn good about it. I know at this very moment at least four planes that I do not need, but I will buy for sure once they will come out. Come on Carenado and Milviz, get your act together and bring it on. NOW!!

So, Marty, congrats to your latest addition to the stable, may you have many happy flights with it. Re the sound I know exactly what you mean. I also switch sounds from other planes so to get the feeling that I hear what I want to listen to :)

59 minutes ago, Adam_NZ said:

I agree about the sound pack ... "Rotax" says it all! I also dug out some old freeware twin Merlin sounds from my artchive HD. I wish I knew where they originally came from!

Apart from that, though - I love it!!!

Adam.

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_lib/thumbnails.php?album=48

Pretty sure they are from this one, exceptional sounds they are too.

Nice pix, Martyn, and congratulations! As Mr Wilde said "I can resist anything except temptation" (or something along those lines). And thanks for the cockpit shot, but I think it's just confirmed my feelings, so I bought a Chipmunk instead!

But it's a fine looking beast, for sure, and I'm sure you'll be forming your own 633 Squadron (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su5JWj8Wlec) dahn under in short order!

11 hours ago, Stillwater said:

More temptation for us all Martyn :

Orbx
8 hrs ·

ORBX MAY SALE!

We're happy to announce our May sale! 38% off all products (except KTEX).

The sale will run until the 1st of June 2016 at 11:59 PM AEST.

... See More

Orbx's photo.

6 hours ago, andy1252 said:

And thanks for the cockpit shot, but I think it's just confirmed my feelings, so I bought a Chipmunk instead!

Great choice (I have it too!) ...l except it hasn't got a Merlin :ph34r:

What I like about all these old De Havillands is how the design goes all the way through - from Tiger Moths to Mosquitos. The tailfin, for instance.

Adam.

The file is: twin_rr_merlin_sounds.zip  ... and can be found on AVSIM (you may need to be logged in): http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=153922

Or ... do a search on Flightsim.Com for that filename in case this DL link doesn't work: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=151010

These appear to be by Gary Jones - and are also the ones included with the Dave Garwood Mosquito. This is the sound set I've replaced my JF ones with.

Adam.

11 minutes ago, Adam_NZ said:

The file is: twin_rr_merlin_sounds.zip  ... and can be found on AVSIM (you may need to be logged in): http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=153922

Or ... do a search on Flightsim.Com for that filename in case this DL link doesn't work: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=151010

These appear to be by Gary Jones - and are also the ones included with the Dave Garwood Mosquito. This is the sound set I've replaced my JF ones with.

Adam.

Glad you have found it Adam. I have been helping another community member with something which has taken a while due to my terrible computer lack of knowledge. Anyway you have saved me trying to find where I got it from.

Beautiful sound set isn't it.

The issue of the sounds were raised during testing including the issue of different volumes for each engine.

There is an update for the props and paint kit posted over at the SOH. I also copied the CBFS freeware Mosquito sounds to the JF one. Also the CBFS freeware Mosquito flys well in both FSX and P3D.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:11 PM, RJ said:

Although you can't hear the sound, this aircraft looks great. Maybe your images made it even better. Anyway, this one will have to wait for a while. 

Thanks RJ, a great plane it is too.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:15 PM, bernd1151 said:

I love these wonderful moments where we realize that our virtual hangar is too full and we decide to wait for a couple of months before we buy some more stuff. And then bang...within seconds we forget all about it, gladly fork out the plastic and actually feel damn good about it. I know at this very moment at least four planes that I do not need, but I will buy for sure once they will come out. Come on Carenado and Milviz, get your act together and bring it on. NOW!!

So, Marty, congrats to your latest addition to the stable, may you have many happy flights with it. Re the sound I know exactly what you mean. I also switch sounds from other planes so to get the feeling that I hear what I want to listen to :)

Cheers Bernd. I am still patiently waiting for the Commander to be released by FSS, I have enough to keep me amused until then.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:25 PM, rick66 said:

Where`s my fly swat, somethings buzzing around my ear.....! Fantastic set Martyn..... the rotax comment cracked me up....

Thanks Rick, happy I put a smile on your face.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:50 PM, Voyager said:

As there are few days for your Birthday, not bad you have already anticipated your gift.
Excellent purchase. So you can post great shots here.
I also noticed that your shots are more color depth, very good indeed.

Voyager

Thanks Voyager, still another 4 weeks until another birthday. They seem to come around more frequently the older one gets, I will have to rethink what I would like.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 1:14 AM, olderndirt said:

When they sound like a couple of lawn mowers, you wonder about the thoroughness of the beta testing.  Nice self b'day present - often they're the best.

Thanks Oldern, funnily enough someone commented on Ants Trojan saying it sounded like a lawnmower. I had to let them know that that is how they sound but the Mossie of course is different.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:56 AM, andy1252 said:

Nice pix, Martyn, and congratulations! As Mr Wilde said "I can resist anything except temptation" (or something along those lines). And thanks for the cockpit shot, but I think it's just confirmed my feelings, so I bought a Chipmunk instead!

But it's a fine looking beast, for sure, and I'm sure you'll be forming your own 633 Squadron (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su5JWj8Wlec) dahn under in short order!

Cheers Andy, hope you enjoy the Chipmunk as much as I do.

Luckily I am not tempted by the sort of thing that Oscar Wild was although it is now legal:ph34r::o:lol:

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 6:04 AM, Iain Emms said:

Cracking set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:31 AM, gumbypickett said:

I really enjoyed those shot's KDK ,

and your willingness not to cave into temptation inspires me.

As for your better half, the question must be asked.

What is louder :huh::D

cheers

Gumby

Thanks Gumby. Now do you mean is the missus louder than the Mossie?:huh::lol:

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:39 AM, BradB said:

More temptation for us all Martyn :

Orbx
8 hrs ·

ORBX MAY SALE!

We're happy to announce our May sale! 38% off all products (except KTEX).

The sale will run until the 1st of June 2016 at 11:59 PM AEST.

... See More

Orbx's photo.

Cheers John, I have to limit myself to being tempted once a week and as I needed only 4 airports it should work out well.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:41 AM, BradB said:

I could hear those screaming Merlin's all the way up here in the PNW !! . One awesome set of shots my friend . :):)

Cheers

John

Thanks John, hope I didn't make your ears ring.

On ‎1‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 1:03 PM, Adam_NZ said:

Great choice (I have it too!) ...l except it hasn't got a Merlin :ph34r:

What I like about all these old De Havillands is how the design goes all the way through - from Tiger Moths to Mosquitos. The tailfin, for instance.

Adam.

True about the Merlin but it does have the Gypsy Major which is a very iconic engine too.

Great point about the design too, a bit like the Jaguar radiator grille which like deHavilland has disappeared too!

On ‎1‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 2:04 PM, neucoas said:

Sadly i can't hear anything, but if you point me where to get the freeware sound pack, i will play them while watching your stunning images :)

Thanks Julian, Adam has put a link below. His detective skills are better than mine.

On ‎1‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 3:58 PM, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

The issue of the sounds were raised during testing including the issue of different volumes for each engine.

There is an update for the props and paint kit posted over at the SOH. I also copied the CBFS freeware Mosquito sounds to the JF one. Also the CBFS freeware Mosquito flys well in both FSX and P3D.

Thanks for the info Pat.

On ‎1‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 3:05 AM, Taph said:

Nice shots, glad to hear you found the right sounds to go with them

Cheers Taph.

On ‎2‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 6:16 PM, Bermuda425 said:

Profound bunch of crackerjacks from your flying session! The C130 gives the trip the extra immersion :rolleyes:

Greetings,

Bermuda

Thanks Bermuda. Thought it was a jet until I realised I was catching it up, then all I had to do was try and get into position for some shots.

On ‎2‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:34 PM, Jarrad Marshall said:

Great set of a great looking aircraft. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Thanks Jarrad, it is a fine plane indeed.

Many thanks to you all for your great comments and interest.

Thought it was time to catch up on replying to your responses, sorry for being so slack.

Archived