openLC NA - new improved city lighting tech

Hello everyone,

Starting with openLC USA/Mexico we're adding advanced new night lighting tech to major cities. We may not cover all major cities with this tech but it will be progressively rolled out and also added to service packs to the EU and Alaska/Canada openLC areas.

These lights are viewable from a much longer distance than the standard FTX Global lighting and will certainly enhance dawn/dusk/night approaches into the major hub airports.

This series of shots are from Nashville and Kansas City.

e2031dc903700e7687d515dd32a7b706.jpg

c68379c7600f9f9558f6e074a0d28957.jpg

659db5f2dc5e0ec5a1d776345633d785.jpg

422986fa4e2278d58f1f4958fe4d51d9.jpg

c09769193dac4e68c5d25e10c6130ac1.jpg

514239a8229f3b9a71a5fe8fa0d48f89.jpg

64d8b9bee725bf79cab71ca1145b6115.jpg

cc659d0aaadb4670903187b39fbbbb75.jpg

82b1052e8f4ff898933a1b01b25b3a5c.jpg

ad9cc364489484c2a343d17026dc97f6.jpg

Many more screenshots are on their way, these are just some tasters...

1 hour ago, BrettT said:

Great shots.  Will these be added to the full Ftx regions or will they automatically show through in these regions if you own the open lc in addition to the regions

They won't show up through the regions because the regions take priority over openLC but we'll certainly look into adding the tech at some point.

Oh you'll be paying extra, openLC's development costs have soared so there's a price increase in June.

We will offer a discount incentive for all customers who purchased openLC NA Alaska/Canada but the price is definitely heading north. More details on new Orbx pricing across the board will be announced in May.

1 hour ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

Didn't we just have a price increase? Airports went from $32.95 to $34.95 a couple months back.

Bruce that was just a correction for inconsistencies across the catalog. Our products have not been CPI adjusted for ten years so what's happening in June is long overdue. Our prices have essentially been static for nearly a decade - in fact in many cases they are much, much cheaper than our launch prices back in 2008 ($200 for FTX Australia and $70 for YMML).

Don't worry, these won't be drastic increases and the weak AUD hardly impacts our biggest markets of the US and EU.

3 hours ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

Didn't we just have a price increase? Airports went from $32.95 to $34.95 a couple months back.

Did you notice the screen shots? They look awesome btw. Can't wait.

I have to say that's a very realistic effect.  I may have to break down and get Global and this new LC finally.  I've always just flown the regions (I have all of them), but I might be nice to venture a bit farther in the world after all.

15 hours ago, John Venema said:

We may not cover all major cities with this tech but it will be progressively rolled out and also added to service packs to the EU and Alaska/Canada openLC areas.

This is excellent news! The shots look great and I am thrilled that Orbx will add more cities as time goes on. I was not sure about purchasing this product, but seeing the screenshots and knowing that Orbx will progressively roll out more cities just sold the product for me.

Performance is not impacted  by much because it's limited to only the main arterial roads and motorways per city.

No, Chris from NE is not involved.

It takes about 30 minutes per city for us to implement this tech so whilst that sounds speedy, there are a lot of large cities in the US etc so we'll do the majors first and then SP the openLC regions as a side project.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

It takes about 30 minutes per city for us to implement this tech so whilst that sounds speedy, there are a lot of large cities in the US etc so we'll do the majors first and then SP the openLC regions as a side project.

Soundd good, thanks for the many info comments. Is there perhaps an overview which areas are covered so far?

17 hours ago, BrettT said:

Thanks John!   That would certainly be a welcome addition and in my opinion something worth paying a little extra for 

Seriously?  It's ORBX.  Do you think they need any encouragement or advice on financial matters?  Sorry to point this post out, but I see similar posts often and I just don't think there's any need to be offering payware developers or publishers more than the financial compensation they are asking for.

16 hours ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

Prices for regions were also increased by $10 to $15; they are all now $49.95 where some of them were around $35-$40 just prior to Christmas last year.  I considered these increases a fair trade off for the development of P3D installers of the same products.  As for the airports, there are some I just would not pay $34.95 for.

The night lighting looks great.

Cheers,

Region prices were *not* increased by $10-15 across the board, it was only $5 except for NIR and IRL which we had accidentally left at a discounted rate for over 14 months. Regardless, we're now off topic thanks to Bruce. Let me settle the price discussion by saying prices will increase in June and if you don't believe something is fair value then don't buy it, simple as that.

I'm just getting more selective. In the old days I bought everything out the gate but  lately some of the offerings are priced to high for my liking as there isn't as much bang for the buck in some titles. I hope they price smaller airports less than lets say KTEX or KSTS as those airports have allot to offer where something like L70 is much smaller and easier to produce. This is just my opinion and I'm not asking for anything just expressing my feelings here. hopefully I didn't go to far off topic. Josh. 

Not yet, this is limited to some major cities in the US, after that extending to Europe. Not important cities will remain the same. 

X-plane has its lighting effect all around the globe. I guess they will keep the crown until we have a new simulator, Dovetail Games´ maybe. 

16 hours ago, John Venema said:

Hey John,

Quick question. Will the Western US still be covered? I tend to fly tubeliners most of the time and usually use Global and Vector in lieu of my full fat regions when I do these flights. With the NA LC I was wondering if this solution would still give me this new night lighting in the regions that are also covered by full fat areas or would I have to wait for the patch to the regions and then run them in hybrid? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jordan King said:

Hey John,

Quick question. Will the Western US still be covered? I tend to fly tubeliners most of the time and usually use Global and Vector in lieu of my full fat regions when I do these flights. With the NA LC I was wondering if this solution would still give me this new night lighting in the regions that are also covered by full fat areas or would I have to wait for the patch to the regions and then run them in hybrid? Thanks!

I don´t know the answer, but as far as I know, Hybrid mode is about to disappear, so it won´t be the answer.

As someone who just moved to P3D less than a week ago, I was about to post a question about whether the outstanding ORBX team was thinking about tackling night lighting at some point. Question answered! And great news. The amount of product development you guys have going on is astonishing. Thank you for all your hard work in making things continually better for the simming community. 

Great preview. Have a question, as you state the lights show further away but what about when the plane is at altitude, has there been a change there as well?  Currently in P3Dv3 they kinda fade away as the plane goes up and it looks great, just didnt read any info and all the screenshots are down low so wasnt sure if in addition to distance, there have been changes made at altitude as well.

Archived