Moving Orbx to external harddrive

madsgranum

I´m using FSX steam on bootcamp (200 gb) on my iMac 2013. My drive is full now, and I will like to free up space by moving my orbx products (or some of them) to an external USB 3 drive (1TB), while Windows 10 and the rest of the FSX program and addons stay on my internal bootdrive.

What is the best way around this issue. Uninstall/install, cloning everything, copying everything, moving just orbx...

I have Global Base, Global Vector, Open LC Europe, Open LC North America, Norway, freeware airports and Trees installed from Orbx.

All the best - Mads

Hi Mads,

maybe you create a virtual folder so it is not necessary to deinstall/reinstall. Just a matter of copy. There are also tools that will create virtual folders on any drive of your pc and move the content, simply ask google. 

What I do not know is if on a USB drive the flight sim will run without stutters. I would prefer an internal drive to avoid. 

Hi yes I have used Junction link Magic as well, very easy to do. You create a scenery folder on the hard drive you whant to use and every time you install new scenery it automatically puts it on the other hard drive. Derek.

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate your feedback.

It was extremely easy using Junction link Magic with a little extra help from this youtube tutorial.

Another question: Next time I want to install something form Orbx, how do I work around  my new linking to Orbx folder on the new external drive. I think Orbx only wants to be installed internally... Should I install it as they suggest and then move it afterwards to the new linked destination?

All the best,

Mads

"Another question: Next time I want to install something form Orbx, how do I work around  my new linking to Orbx folder on the new external drive. I think Orbx only wants to be installed internally... Should I install it as they suggest and then move it afterwards to the new linked destination?

All the best,

Mads"

Each time you add any Orbx scenery it will be added to the Orbx folder via the JLM folder in FSX automatically.

Archived