Bonners Ferry (65S) elevation issue

gotjackson

While flying around northern Idaho (in Northern Rockies full region), I decided to check out Bonners Ferry to see if it might be worth purchasing the FTX airport. As I was approaching, the runway slowly disappeared into grass. I reloaded the flight at the active runway and was surrounded by mountains of grass. This type of elevation issue has usually been solved by running the AEC tool, but not this time.

I then scrolled through the list of enabled and disabled airports in the AEC tool and couldn't find 65S in either list.

Just so no one asks these questions, I have run the AEC tool, twice and I have the latest ORBX Libraries installed.

Next steps?

Thanks.

Hi there,

the Vector AEC tool only lists airports that Vector itself changes the base altitude of; Bonners Ferry isn't one of them hence no listing.

Try cycling FTX Central once between Global/Default and North America, pressing Apply Group each time. That will check whether the altitude adjustment provided by FTX Northern Rockies is applied correctly.

Afterwards, check that you have a file named ADE_FTX_NRM_6S5_elevation_adjustment.BGL in \Scenery\World\scenery; the .BGL extension is important!

If that doesn't fix the issue you may have a third-party add-on file for that airport; searching your entire sim folder tree for .BGL files with the ICAO as part of their names usually helps finding the culprit. If you're not sure about specific files post a list or screenshot of the results with full file and folder names. 

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger,

Tried cycling/applying (tried this twice) and that didn't help. Interestingly, when I load up 65S under Global, the elevation is fine, just not under NRM.

The .bgl file you listed is there. Following a search within the sim folder, I found all of the following .bgl files:

ABP_65S.bgl

ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_elevation_adjustment.BGL

ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_elevation_adjustment.BGL (yes, it's in there twice-could be the problem?)

!200_FTX_NRM_LC_1614_JR_65S.bgl

!200_FTX_NRM_LC_1714_JR_65S.bgl

ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_Boundary_Co_CVX.bgl

ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_Boundary_Co.BGL

FTX_NRM_objects_65S_PLC.bgl

200_FTX_NRM_LCpoly_1614-1714_JR_65S.BGL

I assume one of these is causing my issue?

Hi there,

actually, that list only contains our files and is correct; the "duplicate" elevation adjustment file is just a backup copy in an inactive folder.

The next step would be to temporarily deactivate all other (i.e., non-Orbx) scenery library entries for that area to check whether they contain the culprit. Also, you could post a couple of representative screenshots here because sometimes verbal descriptions of an issue can be misleading.

Cheers, Holger

Did a search of the entire C: drive. Didn't find any other files related to "65S". Let me know if a search for something else may bring up different results.

I've attempted to attach a screen shot (one as small as 23kb in size, but I still get the message "must be less than 4mb" and it won't let me attach. Sorry, I haven't tried attaching a screen shot before, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi Jim,

indeed, that is Vector's replacement grass polygon plus flatten at the default elevation. However, that is excluded by NRM so it can't be the culprit (unless the Vector entries are incorrectly placed above the FTX block).

Cheers, Holger

All of my top 29 scenery files are FTX/ORBX files.

I do have some active scenery above the ORBX Vector files:

Propeller Objects

Global, Generic & Vehicle Libraries

Oceania

Western North America

Central North America

Eastern North America

I assumed these are FSX default, but maybe they are UTX which I no longer use and need to be deactivated.

Thanks for your continued help.

Bryan

Well, I guess that's the end of the support suggestions. I've tried deactivating the scenery listed in my previous post. There is no other scenery active outside of FTX and FSX base files. Even though it was up to date, I downloaded and re-installed the ORBX libs. I can't see or find anything else that could be causing the elevation issue. Perhaps the only thing left is to uninstall NRM and reinstall it and see if that fixes the problem. That doesn't seem likely or you probably would have suggested that already.

If there is anything else I can do, please let me know, otherwise I guess I'll just cross that airport off my list of destinations.

Hi there,

sorry, but I don't really have anything else to suggest. To display the airport correctly, the four mentioned files need to be active:

ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_Boundary_Co.BGL               <<< dated Mar 2013

ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_Boundary_Co_CVX.bgl               <<< dated Mar 2013

FTX_NRM_objects_6S5_PLC.bgl                  <<< dated Nov 2010

ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_elevation_adjustment.BGL               <<< dated Aug 2014

The first three are located in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NRM05_SCENERY\Scenery and the fourth in \Scenery\World\scenery. If you have those files and the dates are correct then a re-installation is indeed unlikely to achieve anything though it's easy to try; see 

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: Hi Jim, good to see you're still around!

Hi there,

sorry, my mistake with the first two file dates: May 2014 is indeed correct.

What isn't correct though is the May210 elevation adjustment file as it actually has a different altitude. Looks like your NRM installation is outdated. If you haven't done so already please download a current copy from FSS (v1.4, the installer .exe should be named OrbxFTXNABlueNRM140.exe), uninstall the current version as per my previous message/link, and then re-install NRM using the current installer.

Cheers, Holger

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Holger,

I have just done a full P3Dv3.2 install with new quad installers and have this same problem. 

My FSX install has no elevation issue with 65S v1.05 with older installers and patches.

Checking the 4 files you suggested earlier, I have the following file and dates.

ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_elevation_adjustment.BGL in world/scenery

FSX - 18.08.2013

P3D - 06.05.2010    <<<This is from the latest quad installers for NRM and 65S.

Temporarily copying over the FSX file into the P3D installation fixes the elevation.

Does the quad installer have an incorrect elevation file?

best regards

Trev

23 hours ago, TreeTops said:

Hi Holger,

I have just done a full P3Dv3.2 install with new quad installers and have this same problem. 

My FSX install has no elevation issue with 65S v1.05 with older installers and patches.

Checking the 4 files you suggested earlier, I have the following file and dates.

ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_elevation_adjustment.BGL in world/scenery

FSX - 18.08.2013

P3D - 06.05.2010    <<<This is from the latest quad installers for NRM and 65S.

Temporarily copying over the FSX file into the P3D installation fixes the elevation.

Does the quad installer have an incorrect elevation file?

best regards

Trev

I'm having the same problem and can confirm Trev's fix.  I copied the FSX ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_elevation_adjustment.BGL in world/scenery dated 18.08.2013 to P3Dv3.2 and it fixed the problem although my P3D file is dated 05.05.2010.

On 4/14/2016 at 2:55 AM, Hangar24 said:

I'm having the same problem and can confirm Trev's fix.  I copied the FSX ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_elevation_adjustment.BGL in world/scenery dated 18.08.2013 to P3Dv3.2 and it fixed the problem although my P3D file is dated 05.05.2010.

Another confirmation here as I was having the same issues,

Regards,

Simon

Can I jump on the band wagon here.

I am having the same problem.

I have just reinstalled FSX, and am using quad installers for all my addons.

I have the files noted in Holgers above posts.

I have no third party anything in this install.

I have Vector, UTX Canada, I did the Global Vector configure and applied.

My plane spawns below ground.  Once in the air everything looks great.

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm having this issue as well and don't have an FSX file to copy over, as I just purchased the airport yesterday and don't use FSX anymore.

Is there an official solution for this yet?  I can also confirm the airport looks fine from the air.  I am using old FSGenesis mesh, but it's at a considerably lower priority.

Thanks,

-stefan

• 3 weeks later...

Copy it where, exactly?  I copied the mentioned file (ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_elevation_adjustment.BGL) from the stated location in the OFF scripts to ${P3D}\Scenery\World\Scenery and I'm still well underground when on the ramp.  Or, more accurately, the whole airport still is.

-stefan

My NRM installer is 150. The file in OrbX scripts and so forth\ Off is dated 2010.   I have no FSX file to copy. I too, am sitting on the runwaysurrounded by hills of grass at 65S Bonners Ferry.

Would an install of the old 140 NRM installer, into FSX give me the needed file to copy ?

So, this is rather weird.  I checked the md5sum and the file you provided is the exact same file I was using.  However, it works with this file installed, which means it also works with the file I had, since they are the exact same file.  

Which, of course, means the problem was something else and something else has changed in the meantime here that I'm not aware of.  I did change from FSGenesis US Mesh to the PILOT's FS GLOBAL FTX COMPATIBLE WHATEVER mesh, but I would think the elevation file would negate that whole thing.  No clue.

Either way, I appear to be good to go - thanks!

-stefan

On 3/19/2016 at 8:32 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

What isn't correct though is the May210 elevation adjustment file as it actually has a different altitude.

The old one is dated 2010. The new one is dated 2013. The data in the file is different.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2016 at 5:50 PM, gotjackson said:

While flying around northern Idaho (in Northern Rockies full region), I decided to check out Bonners Ferry to see if it might be worth purchasing the FTX airport. As I was approaching, the runway slowly disappeared into grass. I reloaded the flight at the active runway and was surrounded by mountains of grass. This type of elevation issue has usually been solved by running the AEC tool, but not this time.

I then scrolled through the list of enabled and disabled airports in the AEC tool and couldn't find 65S in either list.

Just so no one asks these questions, I have run the AEC tool, twice and I have the latest ORBX Libraries installed.

Next steps?

Thanks.

PLEASE:  What is the final solution?  I downloaded Nick's zip file and need to know where to put it!

Never had problems before.  I just did a clean install of P3D3.3 and cannot get this one airport to get out of underground.  I only have the following installed at this time:

GLOBAL - VECTOR - NRM - 65S

Thanks,

Larry @ VirtualPilot.org

1 hour ago, Larry@VirtualPilot.org said:

PLEASE:  What is the final solution?  I downloaded Nick's zip file and need to know where to put it!

Unzip the file (ADE_FTX_NRM_65S_elevation_adjustment.BGL) and put it in the P3D\Scenery\World\Scenery folder.

Archived