Night flying with the G1000 :)

Extra260

Hi All

Brindabella Flight training in Canberra held an information night on the Garmin G1000 avionics last night. I'm a big fan of the G1000, and thought I knew a lot about it from my fsx time and other research (I'm working on a hardware interface for fsx) but it's amazing how much more there was to learn. For one thing, FSX really dumbs down the startup procedures.. and in the real world if you get that wrong it will take out the G1000 requiring an expensive repair :o As a software engineer it seems to me like a real design flaw, that in a modern aircraft (172SP in this case) that it's still possible to damage the avionics by having them turned on before the engine is running. You really do need to follow the check lists.

At the end of the session, there were only 3 of us left after everyone else bailed, myself and two instructors. So we went out for a fly ;D I sat in the back while the two instructors did a few circuits each (keeping their night ratings current). There was still quite a bit of RPT activity, and Canberra was lit up like a Christmas tree. The instrument scan certainly feels very different with the glass cockpit, and you really have to remember to look outside! Since I started flying again in Jan this year I've purposely avoided using the G1000 equipped aircraft in FSX. My instructor pointed out on my first few lessons that I needed to "get my head out the cockpit" more often... something that is often the case with flight simmers.

Sadly I didn't have my camera with me, and the iPhone camera didn't work too well. We have the screen brightness up higher than usual so we could all see it (it was a training session after all).  One thing I noticed, is how hard it was to see the runway, the lights aren't that bright (I suspect they were not on the highest intensity) and with all the other lights around the airport it was difficult to see the runway even on the base leg of the circuit.

An interesting experience, a night rating is something I plan to get in the future... even if it is just as an added safety measure.

Vincent.

Yes, the G1000 (or as one of my colleagues refers to it, the 'jesus box') is an amazing piece of equipment. I spent the first 120 hours of my training using it in our 172SPs. It must be used with caution however, as it CAN be a serious hindrance to one's training if relied upon. It is always so tempting on those early navigations to hit the 'direct to..' button and let the simulated ADF take you anywhere you want to go (without the aid of an NDB of course). And that's not to mention the groundspeed and wind displays, nearest airport info, etc.

Of course, for a PPL pilot enjoying his weekend it's a godsend. However, just remember that it's important to crank out thos 1 in 60s and groundspeed checks during training whether one's flying with the jesus box or not.

Anyway, i'm sure you'll have lots of fun learning all the features, I certainly did!  ;D  ;D

Ya know I often wonder if the Aircraft manufacturers and the electrical stem could benefit from having 1 or 2 large capacitors similar to those used by audio nuts to absorb and store transient voltage variations and act as filter's for the Avionics.

Certainly couldn't hurt, I've noticed a distinct lack of transient voltages (and blown bulbs too ) in my car since I fitted 2 X 1 Farad 40 V Caps and watched the voltages on a logging multimeter for a couple of months. 

Yes, the G1000 (or as one of my colleagues refers to it, the 'jesus box') is an amazing piece of equipment.

LOL, I hadn't heard that one before :D

I'm hoping to purchase a G1000 equipped aircraft (or at least a share of one) in the next year or twp... but I wanted to learn more about it before I let the G1000 be a required feature when looking for an aircraft. I won't be buying a new one... there are some good deals at the moment in the US on low time aircraft, sadly I don't have the money yet :-\ I'm torn between something affordable (like a 182) or something that can take the whole family (G36 - but not affordable).

In the mean time I'll keep working hard on my business and dream a bit ;)

Vincent.

Ya know I often wonder if the Aircraft manufacturers and the electrical stem could benefit from having 1 or 2 large capacitors similar to those used by audio nuts to absorb and store transient voltage variations and act as filter's for the Avionics.

Certainly couldn't hurt, I've noticed a distinct lack of transient voltages (and blown bulbs too ) in my car since I fitted 2 X 1 Farad 40 V Caps and watched the voltages on a logging multimeter for a couple of months.   

I have an electronics background (but make my living from software), and it really doesn't seem that difficult to resolve. Regulators and power smoothing is a well known thing and I'm sure that could easily be added to a modern aircraft. I try to make my software user proof.. ie make it so they can't break it or anything with it. It seems like the logical thing to do with aircraft design... why make things harder than they need to be. Some aircraft manufacturers are coming around to this way of thinking, Cirrus for example have a single power lever, not 3 individual controls to manage the engine. When they were discussing the "Lean Assist" functionality on the G1000 last night, I was thinking, ok, well the computer knows when it's set right, so why doesn't it manage the mixture control for me? After 10 minutes of showing lean assist, the instructor (who knows the G1000 very well) says that lean assist is a waste of time, as after playing with it for 10 minutes you will find the fuel flow always turns out to be just at the top of the green.. so just set it there and you are done leaning :P

Vincent.

Archived