Calling all FSX "misfit" (non-fitting) airports

Neil Hill

A couple more this morning...  Scottish Cay (MYXI) and Mores Island (MYAO)...  Scottish Cay is essentially a carrier landing, while Mores Island has what appears to be airport buildings out in the bay, and a tree blocking short-final...

Scottish Cay (MYXI).jpg

Mores Island (MYAO).jpg

10 hours ago, MotoDave said:

I disabled SCA because of performance issues.  However, there is a tree issue at KLSV Nellis with either SCA or default FSX.

SCA

nellissca.jpg

default FSX

nellis.jpg

Just as a data point, I don't have any issue with KLSV in P3Dv3.1 with SCA + Global + Vector + oLC NA + global airport pack.

My hangars also look different than these FSX screenshots.  

Since the SCA region updates the KLSV airport, the fact that both sets of FSX screenshots (with & without SCA) seem to show identical hangars may be an indication that MotoDave has some additional issues going on.

KLSVP3Dv3.jpg

Blast!!!

OLC strikes again.  Eugene changed the "dirt" ADE uses to "Heavy Industrial" for use in NA_OLC textures.  I'll add it to my list to find a fix for.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Uncheeers, Neil

Edit: I forgot that Eugene has actually fixed UT68 already and it will be part of Pack 28 when it's released.

Recheers, Neil

On 8/22/2016 at 3:47 AM, dominique said:

Ok thanks, Neil, looking forward to it then. What I do not understand though, is that FSXers see it OK when it is messed up in P3D. Like KMCO after patch 1.15. Do P3Ders have to run the migration tool again or something ?

I'm an FSX user, and I see the same problem you do, Dominique. The problem also occurs with a small construction area included in the Global freeware rendition of my local airport, as you can see in this thread: Texture Displaying Incorrectly at KBUY. The issue is caused by OLC NA. I assume, based on the screenshot above, that Spud doesn't have OLC NA installed; thus, his textures display correctly.

Edited by BPL

20 minutes ago, BPL said:

I'm an FSX user, and I see the same problem you do, Dominique. The problem also occurs with a small construction area included in the Global freeware rendition of my local airport, as you can see in this thread: Texture Displaying Incorrectly at KBUY. The issue is caused by OLC NA. I assume, based on the screenshot above, that Spud doesn't have OLC NA installed; thus, his textures display correctly.

I see it too in KBUY and that is with the 1.15 patch. I thought it was a P3D issue as some FSXers does not have an issue anymore in KMCO when P3Ders still do after the patch.

Hi guys,

Eugene's provided a fix for KBUY that will show it as dirt again.  It will be part of the Freeware Pack 28 release.  As far as KMCO is concerned I think I'll put the fix in a new folder we're working on for fixing OLC issues with default FSX airports.  The fix that's part of 1.15 doesn't seem to work or everybody

Cheers, Neil

• Upvote 1

I'm still exploring my way around the Caribbean.  Flying around Eleuthera today, there were numerous "blocky", hotel-ish looking buildings floating around in the waters all around the island.  Governor's Harbour airport had an active highway cutting right through the hangar area...

While I am, on the whole, very happy with the improvements brought by OLC NA, at least during my Caribbean explorations so far, I'm very disappointed to see how very barren most of these islands are of any kind of housing developments and towns.  Looking at Google Earth, there are lots of reasonably built-up areas on nearly all of the islands I've visited to date.  Yet there have been 'communities' almost nowhere in OLC's Bahamas so far, except around Nassau.  Especially since "The Caribbean" was touted as one of the regions specifically included in the OLC NA package, I am more than a little disappointed in how very little attention the Caribbean seems to have received.  At least in the areas I've reached so far...  (I've begun at the northern-most end of the Bahamas, and will be working my way down, probably until I've seen everything all the way around the island-chain through Grenada...)

Thank you Neil for your tireless efforts to correct many of these oversights!  

Woo-hoo!!!  Just arrived at Staniel Cay (MYES) and found civilization, at last! :D  Perhaps I'll see more of this as I progress south...(?)  (BTW, kudos to whomever for the delightfully Caribbean pastel-colored houses!  Nice touch!)

FWIW, Leaf Cay (MYXD) is another 'carrier landing'...  Perhaps that can be added to your list.  (See attached)

I hope these updates are helpful, and not just nagging/complaining.  Thanks again for all your hard work!

Leaf Cay (MYXD).jpg

Neil, let me know if you'd prefer that I quit cluttering up the thread with these.  

But if you want 'em, I'll keep posting those I find...  I'm planning to to visit (at least a low-level pass) each strip throughout the newly OLCed Caribbean before I finish this trip, so I'm sure there'll be more....

I have not had a chance to take screenshots yet.

KCOS has Trees and houses on the tarmac. the rads are chopped up, and the runways are several feet in the ground.

This is default KCOS in FSX-Acc. w FTX Global, Vertor and OLC NA.

Hope that my home airport can be brought back from the deep.

Hi manfredc2,

I took a look at KCOS to see what I could do and found I only needed to disable AEC and all looked fine.  I use stock FSX mesh and carefully looked at the airport ground texture and found nothing amiss, no trees, no houses all looked fine.  Check to see if you have some other KCOS scenery addon's that might be causing you grief.

Cheers, Neil

Hello Neil,

No other KCOS scenery files added. Tried both AEC enabled and disabled. then I notices that I have OLC NA  1.10 installed, and there is a 1.15 version released.

Installed the OLC NA 1.15 update, re-installed the latest libs file, and ran the Vector configuration tool again.

Now the airport is at the correct altitude when AEC is disabled.
No idea if there was something in the OLC NA updtae that affected the trees and buildings at KCOS, but I am just happy that my airport, even though with very basic textures and buildings, is now fixed.

Again thanks for your effort looking in to this for me.

Happy Flying,

Manfred

Neil - I saw a thread today in the P3D forum about 'peeling' textures and I read it and I need to mention that KIPT has that problem.  Its always had it as long as I can remember but if theres a fix then that would be great.

and has anyone ever looked at improving KHMZ. its in a beautiful location and a great trip from KIPT.  Id love to see it as a full blown Global airport due to its pleasant mountains and valleys with a scenic interstate and river and small town approach from the south.  But the freeware aiprots are incredible and much appreciated too.

Neil,

Not a "negative" report, but just wanted to say a big Thank You!!! for including the relocated KSGU St George, Utah airport in the recent September 2016 NA Update Pack.  The default one in FSX has been closed for a LONG time, and your new KSGU in the correct location is a much appreciated "fix" for KSGU.  And the night lighting around the terminal is superb.  Plus, you obviously "closed" the old airport too, by adding the yellow "X's" to the runways (I think it has been rezoned to a commercial/industrial park now, but the old runway and taxiways are still there in the real world yet, just like you updated them with the "X's".  Nice "fix" there too!).

• Upvote 1

Thank you FalconAF,

KSGU was an interesting challenge, how do you move an airport many miles while using the same ICAO, I had to recreate the old one with LC textures only.  I think it turned out pretty well and I'm glad you like the new one.

@ Captain Coffee, Please use ICAO's when suggesting airport changes, it saves me a bunch of time.  I did find the ones you mentioned and have them on my misfit list.

Cheers, Neil

• Upvote 1