Calling all floatplane pilots...

birdguy

Orbx-RTTM Alaska isn't the only place to fly off the water.  Orbx NCA includes no less than ten seaplane facilities.  In no particular order they are:

H77 - Redding - Bridgebay Resort on Lake Shasta

5CA9 - Kelseyville - Konocti on Clear Lake

T38 - Lake Tahoe - Homewood

1C9 - Hollister - Frazier Lake Airport

22CA - Sausalito - Commodore Center on Richardson Bay

O06 - Oroville - Lake Oroville

S74 - Stockton - Lost Isle on the delta

C39 - Folsom - Folsom Reservoir

0O0 - Los Banos - San Luis Reservoir

E20 - Napa - Lake Berryessa

I believe there is also another seaplane facility on Clear Lake although I haven't visited it yet.

Most of these will start you off at the dock.  Folsom Reservoir, San Luis Reservoir, and Commodore Center leave in the water but you can taxi to a dock.

Frazier Lake is an airport with a dirt runway.  But it has a seaplane ditch alongside the runway with a dock for parking your plane.

Now for Southern California we need a little detail and a seaplane dock at Avalon on Catalina Island.

Noel

FWIW I've attached a text file with all water aerodromes for all North American Orbx regions plus  Tongass Fjords (only those with an ICAO code) in a simple text file.  I use this with Ideal Flight 10 app to generate flights only between water bases within the NA Orbx regions when I'm not using amphib craft.

Orbx & Tongass Seaplane bases.txt

Cheers

Brent

I have an app. on my Ipad called "AirportMap" & it currently shows 493 Seaplane bases in the continental USA & Alaska.

Click on the red location pin on the map & you get FAA data for the base.

Very useful for planning flights.

It also shows 13,156 airports, 5,709 Heliports, 118 Ultralight strips, 35 Glider Ports & 13 Balloon Ports.

In Settings you can filter by the above categories.

TTM

I've been going through Brent's seaplane base list and there are a few I can't find anywhere.  They don't show up in the 'go to airport' in P3D or anywhere on the internet.  Does anyone know where these are?

OAK1

WY3

ZAK2

ZK2

Noel

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

I've been going through Brent's seaplane base list and there are a few I can't find anywhere.  They don't show up in the 'go to airport' in P3D or anywhere on the internet.  Does anyone know where these are?

OAK1

WY3

ZAK2

ZK2

Noel

Hi Noel - good catch!  I could have used some Quality control when I put this together!  Originally I had gone through the KMZ in Google Earth for the regions to just identify seaplane bases but I obviously made some errors.  OAK1 should have been 0AK1 (substitute the O with a zero) and is found in the southern Alaska region (Anderson Lake - gravel strip and water)....I've fixed that one and removed the other three you identified.

For anyone else who might find it useful here is an updated list:

Orbx & Tongass Seaplane bases.txt

Cheers

Brent

I'll utilize this - I wish also to find more seaplanes for use in P3Dv3 (a lot of the FSX ones work) sometimes with propellers that are messed up i.e. a black disc. Looking for a working (FSX) version of "The Raven" - I think it was made by Bob May - a stunner for sure.

8 hours ago, birdguy said:

Thanks Brent,

I fleshed out your list with a chart sorted by State/Province, Location, and Name of Facility.  PDF file is below.

One more question.  Why are some Canadian seaplane bases called water aerodromes?

Noel  

Orbx Seaplane Bases.pdf

That's a nice improvement Noel!

12 hours ago, birdguy said:

Thanks Brent,

I fleshed out your list with a chart sorted by State/Province, Location, and Name of Facility.  PDF file is below.

One more question.  Why are some Canadian seaplane bases called water aerodromes?

Noel  

Orbx Seaplane Bases.pdf

Hello Noel.

That file looks like it was generated using word or excel. Can you please post a copy of the file in native format so that I can sort it and make changes.

Cheers

Bernie

Thanks Noel. I have got it into Word and from there I have got it into Excel.as one column of text.

I now have to manipulate it to get the information into individual columns. Piece of cake LOL. I will post the result when I have finished.

Cheers

Bernie

Great idea Noel.

Hello Guys.

Don't forget the beautiful  CBB7 Tipella Airport in British Columbia.

There used to be an ORBX CBB7 freeware airport, sadly not available anymore from the download page, and it works just fine in P3D v3.

Now we only need a propper Floatplane for P3D v3.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, Jaiolang said:

.....Ahhh...small correction in British Columbia.....it's "Sproat Lake" rather than the oft mistaken spelling,"Sprout Lake......"

Long time hideout of the revered Martin Mars water tankers, as well as the "Fish and Duck Pub."

My born and raised town....only 1 waterbomber left - 1 is being converted back to original colors and will fly out to Pensacola this spring I think....the other has no contract...but still fought a bit this past summer - ironically - it sat while a large fire burned away on Dog Mountain right in front of the base (about 5 miles away...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have redone the file using Noel's Word Perfect version which I put into Microsoft Word and then into Microsoft Excel. I also added the Orbx region, state and country information. Whilst researching this information I found the there are a number of seaplane base/water runways/waterdromes where no scenery has been included in PNW. I have labelled these "Not in PNW". I then sorted these by the regions, state and country.

The PDF version of the file can be downloaded from here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70462901/Orbx%20Seaplane%20Bases%20BF.pdf

The original MS Excel file can be downloaded from here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70462901/Orbx%20Seaplane%20Bases.zip

Cheers

Bernie

Thanks for the effort to compile the revised list

This is one noticeable thing missing in Norway, very few airports at all in such a big space

When I finally get back to Alaska I will start exploring from these seaplane bases

• 1 year later...

I know that this is over a year old, but just thought that I would mention that I am currently chasing up water landings in Australia.. waiting for the reply to an email..I will keep you informed. Teecee.

PS: I have placed the only one I have found so far..it's at Rose Bay in Sydney Harbour..

On 2/7/2016 at 0:21 PM, TigerTigerM said:

I have an app. on my Ipad called "AirportMap" & it currently shows 493 Seaplane bases in the continental USA & Alaska.

Click on the red location pin on the map & you get FAA data for the base.

Very useful for planning flights.

It also shows 13,156 airports, 5,709 Heliports, 118 Ultralight strips, 35 Glider Ports & 13 Balloon Ports.

In Settings you can filter by the above categories.

TTM

Hi TTM, I just did search on the App Store, there's three different ones.  Which one do you use?

Here are a couple of lists that I find useful.

https://www.bcfloatplaneassociation.com/placestofly/

http://www.publiclakecabinsak.com/

For those of you that do not fly in the Pacific North West go to Sky Vector and search Seaplane Base + state or country.

Here is hoping that A2A releases their 64 bit FeelThere as soon as possible.  Their Floatplane controls are amazing.

Dale

On 7/16/2017 at 2:04 PM, teecee said:

I know that this is over a year old, but just thought that I would mention that I am currently chasing up water landings in Australia.. waiting for the reply to an email..I will keep you informed. Teecee.

PS: I have placed the only one I have found so far..it's at Rose Bay in Sydney Harbour..

Try here.

http://www.seaplanes.org.au/TRAINING

It appears that the Australian government considers all floatplanes as boats and they can go anywhere a power boat can go as long as you have a boat and pilots license.

Dale

Archived