Airports for the state of Idaho.

goodperson36

I just wanted to write an article in here to the Orbx Family. I have bought  a lot of scenery from orbx in the recent years and I mean a lot just purchsed meigs field very nicely done since I am from there but now live in the state of Idaho. I have been very concerned about the roadmap that Orbx has taken. This is not to start a battle so please be nice and do not try to pick a fight I am only trying to figure out if I will stay with Orbx or just go away and go back to Ground Enviroment. I am trying to find answers thats all I am trying to do. I purchased orbx products so that they can continue to put out great scenry and airports i want to support them by buying there products. But my concern is there is no airports for the state of Idaho. I do have central rockies and northern rockies. As i was thinking the other day I had an AHA moment and I thought to myself why hasnt Orbx put out airports for the state of Idaho where is an airport for Boise or even an airport for Pocatello or twin falls Idaho we have some really beautiful landscape like can we say Sun Valley airport very beautiful ski resort area but no payware airports for those regions. I would like some feed back from Orbx just trying to figure out if none of these airports are ever going to be done will it be worth it to continue with orbx. Just a thought . 

3 hours ago, goodperson36 said:

Alex Bonner Ferry is very Nice. I think I will purchase that tonight I must have totally missed that one lol. Thanks although I would like to see some more for Idaho that would be great.

I'm really puzzled by this.  Agreed, there aren't many payware Idaho airports, but there are tons of airports in CRM.  Have you not tried to visit them?  Also, a small company, Extreeme VFR publishes a nice payware airport for Boise. And I see Pocatello as well as Twin Falls, is there in CRM, too.

Not a lot of help, I know, but for quite a while my default flight in FS2004 started at Silverwood, where I'd come across a nice little animated theme park. I took a look recently in FSX but it seems to be derelict!

I would buy more Idaho airports.  I've got Bonners Ferry already and like it.

Maybe Lewiston?  Not to far from Felts Field and Bonners Ferry.  Regional airport with decent runways surrounded by river valleys/canyons and rugged terrain.

McCall?  A great base for bush flying in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness.

I'd buy something in south Idaho, like Twin Falls, but I prefer the more rugged terrain in central and northern Idaho.

7 hours ago, h3pilot said:

I would buy more Idaho airports.  I've got Bonners Ferry already and like it.

Maybe Lewiston?  Not to far from Felts Field and Bonners Ferry.  Regional airport with decent runways surrounded by river valleys/canyons and rugged terrain.

McCall?  A great base for bush flying in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness.

I'd buy something in south Idaho, like Twin Falls, but I prefer the more rugged terrain in central and northern Idaho.

+ 1

Felts, while not in Idaho, is just a few miles across the border on the west side of Spokane, and KWYS and KJAC are very short distances from from Idaho on the other side of the state.  Keep in mind as well that all airports within the Orbx coverage of Idaho (which accounts for most of the state) are upgraded airports.  From a practical point of view, Orbx can't satisfy everyone and while I love CRM and NRM I've always gotten the sense that my love of CRM is not always shared by the larger community.  Most folks seem to prefer fields in CA and PNW.

That said, there are a few airports I would also love to see Orbx do that would help fill in some "gaps".  I agree with Matt and have mentioned before that I think McCall just screams for the Orbx treatment.  Add in something in S or SE Idaho (Twin Falls, Idaho Falls or perhaps something like Sun Valley or even Driggs) and I'd be thrilled.

But really - the upgraded region fields aren't bad at all.  Check out McCall, for example, and you'll see that while the models don't match precisely, the feel of the field is generally correct and a big upgrade from default FSX.

9 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Also, a small company, Extreeme VFR publishes a nice payware airport for Boise.

You aren't referring to the Newport X photoreal stuff are you, Stewart?  I wasn't able to find these guys, they don't seem to be online anymore....

28 minutes ago, Ripcord said:

You aren't referring to the Newport X photoreal stuff are you, Stewart?  I wasn't able to find these guys, they don't seem to be online anymore....

No, that's not the one, Rip.  Too bad they're no longer around.  KBOI was their first effort, as I recall.

Edit to add:  Try VFR Extreeme and see what you come up with.  I may have remembered their name incorrectly.  Yeah...Boise is available at PC Aviator, among others.  On second look, you could be right about the Newport X label.  Maybe they took over the original company?  The Flight Sim Store also has it.

3 hours ago, goodperson36 said:

Stewart  I found it but it'd not the airport it only land class. Thank you for the info

I wasn't aware it was only land class.  I downloaded it at a time I didn't know what land class was, lol.  Nevertheless, they did a good job.

@Ripcord:  I'm going to check it out and let you know which is better, imo, the ORbx version or the Extreeme version.  Also, I agree with your selections for possible ID airports.  They are perfect candidates for the Orbx scenery.

Well, I looked at Boise with the VFR_Extreeme version disabled and it's in the depth of winter, no surprise.  With "Boise" enabled there is no snow, so its landclass is indeed overriding the Orbx scenery.   The place looks not bad in the spring and summer, but different from the Orbx version certainly.  So I'll disable it in fall and winter and enable it in spring and summer.  Nice compromise.

Ever been there Stewart?  Idaho is beautiful.  I did everything you could imagine when I lived there.  It was a VERY safe city, college town, food vendors on the sidewalks when the bars closed.

The skiing was incredible and NEVER ever a lift line.

I remember the McCall ice festivals, beautiful!

We had 42 FEET of snow up there one year.

Me and my friends used to ride our motorcycles to all the REAL ghost towns, that was excellent.

Then in the summer we'd spend all our time fishing and water skiing.

Then the hot air balloons, man THAT was some good flying.  What a view of the mountains just north of the city.

I'm sure they'll get to it eventually, I know how much they have going on from reading the forums.  I guess with time they'll get around to it.  Contrary to what people always say, it's NOT a shrinking planet.  Just look how much there is to do in the sim!  With all the ORBX's I have now it'll take me forever to fly to all the places I wanna go!

But yeah, it's on my wish list because I lived there and have fond memories.

I-84 is a long road through the state.  And the bridge over Twin Falls, man you could almost fly four 747's wingtip to wingtip UNDER that bridge where Evil Knievel tried to jump it.  The snake river, there's even a plaque there.  Man I remember that.  Gosh I'm getting old.

I have a childhood friend who lives in a little town in SW Idaho (damn, I forget the name), but she every once in awhile she posts a picture of that bridge on her FB page.  It's beautiful.  No, never been to Idaho, but if I were to move someplace other than where I am, I would seriously consider Idaho.  Beautiful place, but, frankly, it's a little far from our kids.  So don't know how they would go for it.

I'm a big fan of the ORBX PNG package. It's great fun to explore and an enjoyable challenge to fly. That said, I have to say that northern Idaho would easily support a similarly inviting package. Northern Idaho has a wonderfully complex mountainous geography,  many difficult bush/forestry strips, and "interesting" weather. The Quest Kodiak folks manufacture their planes there and train pilots in the area--including Felts Field. Fairchild AFB over west of Spokane takes its SERE trainees into that territory for their search and rescue experience. The ORBX development team could make one heck of a fun mission package centered in the area.

By the way, my wife and I live in eastern Washington between Spokane and Fairchild AFB, so the Idaho territory is just a few miles to the east of us. Once a year, I save up and rent a Cessna and pilot for a flight over into the Idaho mountains. Spectacular place and lots of fun to fly for real .

Count me in as a supporter of the idea of ORBX/Idaho.

10 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I'm a big fan of the ORBX PNG package. It's great fun to explore and an enjoyable challenge to fly. That said, I have to say that northern Idaho would easily support a similarly inviting package.

It does. OrbX CRM carries a trove of small ranch and USFS strips in the mountains and down on the narrow river banks.

5 minutes ago, Pavel.K said:

Have you seen wonderful DVD Idaho exposed ? Some of OrbX talented designers should see it. It even provokes me to create some scenery myself but the result was terrible :-)

I am really surprised that OrbX have not created bush airstrips package for CRM yet. It cries for it!  

There are, at least, 30 strips, only between McCall and Salmon, what do you want more ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but do Orbx do many strips outside of their "full Fat" areas? I think not, but I may be wrong.. It seems to me that for the most part, Orbx try to place improved airports within parts of the USA that they have "improved" and to my mind that makes sense. What is the point of dropping isolated airports here and there in default textured areas? they would be a drop in the ocean amongst the thousands of strips around the USA. Better to concentrate on areas that the have improved in my opinion. Teecee.

3 minutes ago, Pavel.K said:

At least 5 strips in NA airports quality, please. Thank you :)

You ask for dirtstrips or for airfields ? The strips that are already in CRM are very true to what they are in real life (not much but a couple of dirt ruts, maybe a garbagebin or an outhouse and another Cessna parked there, sometimes a farm close by) and their main attraction is the challenge to fly to/from them.  Great flying. Been there, done that many times. Download OrbX kmz for CRM and check. All the strips are listed there.

Thank you for the tip. Yes, I am talking about dirtstrips like Cabin Creek, Dewey Moore, Soldier Bar. I have tried several of them in P3D v3 but I had a problem, my airplane was jumping like crazy horse even during slow taxi. I have recommended scenery settings. I will try another go with them.

Btw. i have found 2 screens in one old forum post from my attempt to create Cabin Creek in 2009 for FSX. When I am looking at it now It is pity I have never finished it :(

56ab9647d57ba_CabinCreek1.thumb.jpg.efab

56ab9649e10e7_CabinCreek2.thumb.jpg.4345

47 minutes ago, teecee said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but do Orbx do many strips outside of their "full Fat" areas? I think not, but I may be wrong.. It seems to me that for the most part, Orbx try to place improved airports within parts of the USA that they have "improved" and to my mind that makes sense. What is the point of dropping isolated airports here and there in default textured areas? they would be a drop in the ocean amongst the thousands of strips around the USA. Better to concentrate on areas that the have improved in my opinion. Teecee.

The entire state of Idaho is covered by NRM and CRM so it's fully within the full fat areas already.

9 minutes ago, Pavel.K said:

Thank you for the tip. Yes, I am talking about dirtstrips like Cabin Creek, Dewey Moore, Soldier Bar. I have tried several of them in P3D v3 but I had a problem, my airplane was jumping like crazy horse even during slow taxi. I have recommended scenery settings. I will try another go with them.

Btw. i have found 2 screens in one old forum post from my attempt to create Cabin Creek in 2009 for FSX. When I am looking at it now It is pity I have never finished it :(

You did good Pavel !  Ge t back to it ;)...

About your aircraft jumping like crazy, difficult to say.  Last time I flew there was in v2, everything was OK as I remember. I'll try in v3 and check. Are the aircraft 3D native (or at least FSX native) ?

47 minutes ago, dominique said:

You did good Pavel !  Ge t back to it ;)...

About your aircraft jumping like crazy, difficult to say.  Last time I flew there was in v2, everything was OK as I remember. I'll try in v3 and check. Are the aircraft 3D native (or at least FSX native) ?

Thanks. Unfortunately all materials are gone and knowledge how to do it is also gone.

I have just revisit Cabin Creek and Soldier Bar with A2A C182 and no jumping. Maybe it was a problem with Carenado C185.

But still high quality Idaho backcountry airstrips would be awesome.

Cabin Creek strip in CRM seems to be to too wide:

56aba672b27a6_CabinCreek3.thumb.jpg.8e12

But Soldier bar is ok:

56aba6d76a444_SoldierBar.thumb.jpg.87d6c

I am sorry for hijacking the tread. It was about regular airports and not airstrips I guess.

Howgh.  

8 minutes ago, Pavel.K said:

Thanks. Unfortunately all materials are gone and knowledge how to do it is also gone.

I have just revisit Cabin Creek and Soldier Bar with A2A C182 and no jumping. Maybe it was a problem with Carenado C185.

But still high quality Idaho backcountry airstrips would be awesome.

Cabin Creek strip in CRM seems to be to too wide:

But Soldier bar is ok:

I am sorry for hijacking the tread. It was about regular airports and not airstrips I guess.

Howgh.  

Good to see that you can fly them with the Skylane, my favorite for bush flying. And don't be sorry, flying  these strips are what CRM is all about. The airports are just places to park your aircraft in the meantime ;)

Just wanted to chime in on Idaho!

I live and fly here and it would be a PERFECT OrbX state to tackle with lots of very unique airports and stunning scenery.

It truly would complement all the WA/OR/WY stuff so very well.  I actually always just assumed more ID OrbX was coming since it seems like the areas West and even a bit East have content (KJAC, KWYS - PNW stuff, etc)

As previously noted the entire state of ID. (my home state) is covered in the ORBX NRM and CRM regions.  Although KBOI isn't an ORBX airport there are other addon's for it that enhance what it looks like.

7 minutes ago, spud said:

As previously noted the entire state of ID. (my home state) is covered in the ORBX NRM and CRM regions.  Although KBOI isn't an ORBX airport there are other addon's for it that enhance what it looks like.

Care to elaborate, spud?

Archived