Welcome back!

banner.jpg

The wait is up, Tim Harris and myself are pleased to announce the quad installer for KCGX Merrill C. Meigs Field in downtown Chicago, Illinois. Designed to blend seamlessly with FTX Global Base and integrate with FTX Vector, Meigs Field has been revitalized and restored to its former glory. This not only includes Meigs Field restored to how it was in the late 1990's and early 2000's, but it also includes a complete re-build of downtown Chicago. With 30cm photoreal coverage extending from south of Meigs Field up to Navy Pier the entire skyline has been rebuilt for improved visuals and performance. The lakefront features a complete set of prominent points of interest to create a highly immersive experience both in the air and on the ground. 

Releasing January 22nd.

Features

• Ultra detailed rendition of KCGX Merrill C. Meigs Field circa late 1990's and early 2000's
  • Extraordinarily detailed interior model of the terminal
  • Highly detailed Chicago landmarks, including Soldier Field, Cloudgate, Adler Planetarium, Navy Pier and the Shedd Aquarium
  • Custom CBD for Chicago skyline including the Sears Tower, Aeon Center, Trump Tower, Hancock Center, and improved "generic" models for many other towers
  • Advanced rendering, ambient occlusion, and night-lighting
  • Ground imagery at 30cm per pixel resolution
  • Beautifully modelled static aircraft
  • 10m resolution mesh
  • Animated PeopleFlow models
  • Designed to work best with FTX Global basepack
  • For FSX, FSX:SE, P3Dv1, P3Dv2, P3Dv3
  • By veteran developers Alex Goff and Tim Harris

Coverage

map.png

Please enjoy the following previews!

wRSlkeHPTkraK9W56970bfb427a9.jpg

XuOFgAXnvOGlWJ156970bfa7a03c.jpg

W8NxjAFbC3U6erZ56970c0409f7b.jpg

1XlHMipxp7GYoym56970c043ce72.jpg

ngGYGmMuMCQOr8556970c10a6a24.jpg

LVrd8ykmk7murrL56970c0c8141d.jpg

tpRGFhk1jBHgHeE56970c15c0315.jpg

K7exXf5o8BS8EIe56970c12d99c1.jpg

eCO5UWQdebjuONL56970c1cccbdf.jpg

4OdI8gLFUritZej56970c1a526c8.jpg

72k5fV5msi9eemT56970c25aec4e.jpg

ruBmCYJ3hV8OAtw56970c2199bef.jpg

mrS8VKpivHqL8tu56970c2c8a56d.jpg

EaIZtogupkYIxTG56970c2741a6f.jpg

yi88EDNfbmXsBaO56970c32d74ac.jpg

DpcX0myevdM4DiM56970c2e58a83.jpg

eSsAcCX1eZE8Wvp56970c3c329eb.jpg

BWRs3JAvztnxxwV56970c35edc5d.jpg

Z4nTBfY9XdoUhxA56970c4578512.jpg

x36TiXEvtl063o656970c3f32444.jpg

rkJPyjf5BgGqoJf56970c5049a25.jpg

34vvnYkpIWQQRvG56970c47ade6c.jpg

CjaOq4mC8D55MRJ56970c5775cde.jpg

cTRUQ8XrdbonFbv56970c55bbd87.jpg

4VB71PR6NMs2GMh56970c60a8e0d.jpg

C93jYOQt6rRIGMY56970c5d450d7.jpg

I0DLnNO0FtYi0m656971103a7f49.jpg

Very very nice! 

Question: As a Chicago resident I have been longing for an update that includes Trump Tower, Millenium Park and some of the other new landmarks.Will there be a way to keep all the surrounding updates while "turning off" Meigs Field  itself when we want a more realistic experience?

16 minutes ago, CordoganAir said:

Very very nice! 

Question: As a Chicago resident I have been longing for an update that includes Trump Tower, Millenium Park and some of the other new landmarks.Will there be a way to keep all the surrounding updates while "turning off" Meigs Field  itself when we want a more realistic experience?

If you wanted to keep everything in the city and turn off Meigs Field that is possible, the airport and city files are all separate with the exception of the photoreal terrain that has Meigs Field baked in. So you would lose that element but the city skyline, landmarks, and other POI's would remain. 

14 minutes ago, DesertPilot said:

Isn't this the first time (at least in recent years) that Orbx has announced a specific release date for a highly anticipated product? :)  Instant buy for me, for sure.  Ah, memories of my first sim flights at Meigs back in 1988 (with MSFS 3.0).

Friday Harbor had a specific release date as well, in both cases it is when the Steam exclusivity period ends. Having 90 days to get the FSS release ready makes it much easier to know when the project will be done, all the hard work is out of the way.

Alex / Orbx,

I bought this for FSX:SE when it first came out.  Will I have to buy this again for FSX:MS & P3D?  I seem to be moving to P3D more and more, I am seriously hoping I won't have to do a double buy to get it to my new favorite sim.

Thanks,

Jhan Jensen

16 minutes ago, StarBlue said:

Alex / Orbx,

I bought this for FSX:SE when it first came out.  Will I have to buy this again for FSX:MS & P3D?  I seem to be moving to P3D more and more, I am seriously hoping I won't have to do a double buy to get it to my new favorite sim.

Thanks,

Jhan Jensen

As with Friday Harbor, we consider the Steam and FSS releases to be separate products and are not transferable between storefronts. Apologies for the inconvenience this may cause.

DARN!  :angry:  Ok, that is what I had figured and one reason I won't buy any more things from Steam; I held off on Friday Harbor as I figured this was going to be the case.  I will just have to wait for a sale.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Excellent work, boy does it remind me of hours of training in crosswinds there...Still don't understand the mayor, it cannot be explained only by fear from his part. He possibly had hidden plans for commercial developments and used the opportunity to make a fast move with very little penalties?

Wow !  that's great memorabilia, a must have for us oldies at least.

Thanks to Todd and Chris above for those screen shots.

Just think about an online fly-in at Meigs that would get some traffic in the pattern.   ;)

Just fantastic.

Very interesting reading the history of this place.

Wonderful to be able to fly from here.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 11:41 PM, Todd Harrell said:

Boy, how things have changed. Thank you, Alex and Tim, for reconnecting many of us older guys to our flight sim past.Flight_Simulator_2.13_-_Meigs.png.064dd5

Nice shot Todd, is that the FSX SE version:lol:

16 minutes ago, StarBlue said:

Alex / Orbx,

Thanks,

Jhan Jensen

As with Friday Harbor, we consider the Steam and FSS releases to be separate products and are not transferable between storefronts. Apologies for the inconvenience this may cause.

Great work you and Tim have done again. As to your comments above, this is the reason I decided never to buy an Orbx product via Steam, I would rather wait.

Cheers Anton. (via Tapatalk)

Definitely looking forward to this!  I lived about 4 blocks outside the northern coverage area for about 4 years and then lived across the street from the coverage area in the south for 5 years.  All was after Meigs was dismantled, but always excited to see my home town showing up in simulators.

• 9 months later...

Another child of the Solo Flight, SubLogic / Bruce Artwick days of flightsim (hey whatever happened to him?).  As others have mentioned, this definitely brings back fond memories of my teenage years!  I spent many hours on my Commodore-64/PC enjoying my new hobby. Meigs Field was one of my favorite airports and was probably the first that had a lesson on flying a traffic pattern. I had a lot of fun learning to fly a "proper" circuit. If I'm not mistaken, the CFI was Rod Machado.

Needless to say, when I heard that you guys were releasing this amazingly beautiful rendition, I bought it right after it was released!  Unfortunately I have very little time to enjoy it, but when I do, one word continues to pop into my head............and that is WOW!

Well now that I got that out, here's my question. 

I've searched the forum but didn't find anything on it. Does anyone remember the Goodyear blimp over Soldier Field back in one of the earlier versions?  I forgot which version it was, but I think it would be pretty cool if we could have that again!  In fact, as I was flying around the area today, I was thinking how cool it would be to not only see a blimp up there, but to have one that actually flies around the city!!!   Maybe have it do a short flightplan that includes a time delay on station over the football field and then fly downtown and back!

Thanks again

16 hours ago, Mister Muu said:

Another child of the Solo Flight, SubLogic / Bruce Artwick days of flightsim (hey whatever happened to him?).  As others have mentioned, this definitely brings back fond memories of my teenage years!  I spent many hours on my Commodore-64/PC enjoying my new hobby. Meigs Field was one of my favorite airports and was probably the first that had a lesson on flying a traffic pattern. I had a lot of fun learning to fly a "proper" circuit. If I'm not mistaken, the CFI was Rod Machado.

Needless to say, when I heard that you guys were releasing this amazingly beautiful rendition, I bought it right after it was released!  Unfortunately I have very little time to enjoy it, but when I do, one word continues to pop into my head............and that is WOW!

Well now that I got that out, here's my question. 

I've searched the forum but didn't find anything on it. Does anyone remember the Goodyear blimp over Soldier Field back in one of the earlier versions?  I forgot which version it was, but I think it would be pretty cool if we could have that again!  In fact, as I was flying around the area today, I was thinking how cool it would be to not only see a blimp up there, but to have one that actually flies around the city!!!   Maybe have it do a short flightplan that includes a time delay on station over the football field and then fly downtown and back!

Thanks again

Done.  Sort of.  (I have PM'd you too)

Cheers,

3 hours ago, scottharmes6 said:

Done.  Sort of.  (I have PM'd you too)

Cheers,

Awesome!   Seeing the blimp again just put a big smile on my face :).  I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks Scott.

One other thing I noticed last night.  I was flying around the city in the amazing Dodosim Bell 206 and decided to land in the football field (something that I could never really do successfully in the older versions of FS). However, the surface is BELOW the turf, which looks rather odd to see after landing.  Wondering if there's a way to tweak a file or something that would correct that?  

Thanks again

Archived