Practice forced landings round 3 : much better :)

Extra260

Hi All

I managed to squeeze another flying lesson in this morning. Last week we did PFL's, but I didn't do so well, so I was looking forward to a chance to redeem myself ;)

The forecast for today was increasing wind gusting to 30+ kts this afternoon, but at 10.20am it was only 8kts at 350 deg, so off we went (in TAV again) on Rwy 35. This time my departure call was perfect (helps to revise the night before!), climbing to 4000 on the way out to the Barton training area. The wind was somewhat stronger by the time we got to the training area, which took a while battling into the wind and at one point I looked down on the Barton highway and saw a truck pulling away from us! We did 4 PFL's, and each time Terry said we would have walked away from them ok. My choice of field was better, although on the last one the wind almost got the better of me, I spent too long on the checks and drills on downwind, and wouldn't have made the paddock I had chosen. Fortunately there was a nice paddock downwind of it and with full flap and a steep approach I got it down in about half the paddock, and Terry though we would have been able to stop before a fence. I would have liked to have done a few more, but it took so long to climb back up each time in the strong wind that there wasn't time for any more.

The trip back to YSCB was pretty quick, with a right quartering tailwind we were showing better than 90kts for most of the time, but our ground speed was much better. My inbound call to approach was spot on, and they cleared us direct to Black mountain and a visual approach to YSCB. As we approached Black mountain, approach called with an amended clearance, telling us to maintain current heading and report sighting a dash-8 on a 4 mile final to Rwy 35. Terry and I both looked at each other and said "Is he kidding?" - there was no way we were able to see anything that far out, so we were half way to Tuggeranong before Terry sighted it, in and out of cloud. I reported the sighting and then we were cleared for a visual approach and to maintain separation... that was easy, we were never going to get anywhere near the dash-8 before it was on the ground. When approach handed us off to the tower, they asked us to expedite our approach, so I aimed to give us a shortish base leg and then straight for the threshold for Rwy 30, pulled the power off at around 500ft with 100kts indicated (don't think I've ever flown any of the old C150's that fast before), held it level to bleed off some speed so I could get the flaps down at 80kts. Tower cleared us to land and offered taxi way Kilo for exit, so Terry told me to land on the intersection of the runways so we would have a shorter taxi. We didn't quite make the intersection but I was quite pleased with the landing.

All in all, I went to work feeling pretty pleased with myself. I need to write myself a crib sheet for the checks and drills, I'll laminate it for the car (Traffic light reading!)

Next week I have to do the Pre Area Solo exam, and then I guess an area solo. Time to study the Visual Terminal Chart, brush up on procedures etc. I have lessons booked for Tues and Wed, weather permitting of course.

Vincent.

Sounds like a good trip Vincent. Good to hear you're feeling a little more comfotable with the PFLs and clearance calls.

I haven't had much practise with the radio procedures out to the training grounds and back. I think I need to do a few out to Barton as Kings is straight off the end of 30 and you nearly always end up with a straight in approach. You're certainly rocking along and pulling ahead now! I have a lesson for this coming Saturday and it will have been 3 weeks since I last flew at that time! I'll be either doing my second set of PFLs or 3rd solo depending on the weather.

I guess I'd better start brushing up on the theory gain too since that pre-solo isn't too far away. Although, at my current rate it's probably a couple of months off!

I guess I'd better start brushing up on the theory gain too since that pre-solo isn't too far away. Although, at my current rate it's probably a couple of months off!

Yup. I had a look at one of the pre-area solo exams, unfortunately Terry wouldn't let me keep a copy  :'( The questions were mostly things like radio calls, altitudes (look at the VTC!)  fuel burn rates, transponder codes for radio failure etc, all the sort of things we should already know.

BTW, I bought the Rob Avery practice BAK exams, I haven't tried them yet but a quick glance tells me I still have a lot of studying to do before I attempt the BAK exam!

Vincent.

Question for ye Extra260 about flaps speed

You said you held tyhe nose up to get back to 80 kts for flap deployment, I always understood you could get the first notch at 100kts, and the white arc is for full flap?  What have you been taught.

Cheers

John

Question for ye Extra260 about flaps speed

You said you held tyhe nose up to get back to 80 kts for flap deployment, I always understood you could get the first notch at 100kts, and the white arc is for full flap?  What have you been taught.

You had me doubting myself there for a second John :o I just checked my copy of the POH for C150 VH-TAV and Vfe is the max flap extension speed.. which is actually 85kts (I wrote that up wrong last night). Our instructors get upset if you put the flaps down at all at any higher speed than that. Some aircraft specify different speeds for different flap settings in their POH.

Vincent.

Yeah that's what I thought, it's OK to use the first stage of flap at 100kts but instructors for some reason don't like it.  A couple of the pilots on aerial photo jobs from Brindabella were quite happy to use put the first stage in approaching 35 to help slow down especially when we were a bit high out of Fyshwick.  But certainly for second stage 85 kts was the norm and I have rarely seen full flap deployed at over 65-70 kts.

I've always assumed that if there is a single Vfe speed then that is the maxium speed that any amount of flaps can be set. If the manual states several speeds for different flap settings then that's what's used. So, in our C150's case since there is only one Vfe that's the maximum speed for even 10° of flap.

You're both right, the 85 kts is for any flap setting, so I was misled.  In practice though I believe that the 10 degree setting closer to 100kts does not put a lot of strain on the flaps whereas full flap at 85 kts would be quite a load on the system. 

Archived