One more for the girls ...

alank

2 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

Indeed !  Lovely Stearman.   WOMAN power !  (a girl is an immature female under the age of 12 or so, then she is a young woman)

Thanks

Sue

Apologies Sue .....

If I remember right all of the school bathrooms said boy or girls so calling a 12 year old a girl is correct for all of us old fogies.

As the announcer said to Flo "where is your husband.":lol:

Thank God those days are long gone.

As a side note:  

I got married on a Saturday afternoon June 16, 1954 and the first thing my new wife did the following Monday was go to work so that she could quit her job and did not go back to work for the next 10 years.   Married women were not expected to work in the late 40's and the 50's.

We were old school and stayed married until she passed 2 weeks before our 42'ed anniversary. 

10 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

Indeed !  Lovely Stearman.   WOMAN power !  (a girl is an immature female under the age of 12 or so, then she is a young woman)

Thanks

Sue

I resemble that remark Bruce !  It's a rough job, but somebody has to do it !  Being a female auto mechanic in a male dominated profession, the battle was on. It's an old habit. 

When I went to work at a VW dealership in 1972, the guys all promptly put Playboy pinups on their roll around tool boxes. I responded by putting up the Playgirl centerfold of Jim Palmer, the Orioles pitcher.  LOL, it hit the fan and management made everybody take down their pinups.  That was fair. Having to work twice as hard, as the guy next to me to prove myself was a part of life back then. It was that way for a long time.

So the fight for equal rights is ingrained. Once in a while I just have to say something.

LOL

Sue

Having a wife and three daughters I was fully immersed in feminism when the girls were in high school in the 80s.  The house was always full of girls, women, ladies, whatever you want to call them.  My son and I were outsiders.

As long as the kids were in grade school and junior high my wife was mostly a stay-at-home-mom who had a part time job from time to time.

Once the youngest was in high school she got a job as an assembly girl (sorry Sue, that's what we called them) at the computer company I worked for.  She took advantage of the after hours electronics courses the company offered and moved up to becoming an electronic technician testing, trouble-shooting, and repairing the tape and disk drives the company manufactured before they were shipped.

Next August will mark our 54th year of marriage.

Noel

This thread sort of calls for another of my boyhood stories.

Sex Education

In 1947, when I was in the seventh grade, sex education wasn't even a term. We learned about sex the good, old fashion way. We learned about it at the corner playground, at recess, and on the street, from our peers who didn't know much more about it than we did.

The seventh grade is that time of life when boys start giving girls a second look, but vehemently deny doing so. Overtly, girls are silly little creatures hardly worth consideration, but covertly they are interesting little creatures we would like to know more about.

At Saint Brigid's, classrooms were divided, with the girls sitting on one side of the room and boys sitting on the other side.

Sometime during the first month of the school year, Sister Mary Bernadette had reached her limit in the futile quest of trying to keep students from talking in class. I was giggling at something the boy behind me said, and Sister caught it.

"Noel!" she screamed, "How many times have I said there will be no talking in class?"

"I don't know," I said.

"Get your books and come up to the front of the class."

I took my books from under my seat and walked up to the front of the class. What was going on? What was she going to do? The classroom was silent.

"This is what happens to people who insist on talking in class," she said. And then I was assigned the empty desk in the first row on the girls side of the classroom.

I was stunned! My face reddened with embarrassment as the class giggled. I went to my new desk, put the books under my seat, and stared at the floor, too humiliated to look up.

After school the boys teased me while the girls giggled. They asked me if I was going to wear a dress to school tomorrow. What was I going to do?

I pleaded with Mom to transfer me to the public school. I asked Dad to talk to the Sister and make her put me back with the boys. But they told me I had been disobedient and I would have to face the consequences. And besides, it probably wouldn't last long.

After the first week of sitting on the girls side of the classroom, two things happened. First, Sister Mary Bernadette decided she couldn't win the battle of keeping her students quiet, so she started ignoring the less fragrant incidents talking in the classroom. Second, the novelty of my new desk assignment began to wear off.

After a couple more weeks I got to know the five girls whose desks were directly adjacent to mine. I overheard their conversations, and sometimes I was invited to join in. After a while, they would approach me at recess or lunch and talk to me.

I found out that they weren't such silly little creatures after all, they were a lot like boys were, they just played different games and with different toys.

I began to feel at ease around them. I wasn't embarrassed anymore when my friends caught me talking to a girl. In fact, by the end of the school year, they were coming up to me and asking questions about various girls in the class.

When we graduated to the eighth grade, boys and girls were separated into different classrooms. It would be the end of co-ed classrooms for a while. And that was just the time we were clumsily becoming more interested in each other.

And I had an advantage. I was the only boy in the eighth grade who wasn't afraid to walk up to one of the girls at recess, or lunch, or after school, and talk to her. On more than one occasion I even sat down in the cafeteria and had lunch with one or two of them.

There were many times after I left Saint Brigid's that I mentally thanked Sister Mary Bernadette for enrolling me in sex education in the seventh grade.

Noel

As I interact with today's generation of young women through our grandson's friendship circle, I am so deeply impressed at how confident, capable, and positive these women are. So, special thanks to women like you, Sue, who helped break the ground that allows this new generation to take up their lives with such an unfettered attitude. You stood up so they can stand tall.

Archived