You know you're a hardcore flightsimmer when...

Randall Griffin

I'd really like to see how long this list can get.  Just reply with your contribution(s):

"You know you're a hardcore flightsimmer when..."

1.  You drive by an airport and think of yourself as part of the scenery for the planes taking off and landing.

2.  You see an airplane flying overhead, and wonder what kind of FPS he's getting.

3. You find yoursellf talking about an airport as if you have been there, but you've really only been there in flightsim.

11.  When you see the local airport's all red VASI lights off to the side of your car on the way home and think "I'm too low!"

These are good!  I was worried the other day when I found myself marveling at the "FPS" I was getting out of my (real) car's windshield! :)

12.  Yes there are times when I look outside the airplane window and realize that ground looks identical to the orbx textures as used in the sim.  Happened to me when I was flying over Calgary (I was like in real life NRM) and CYVR in PNW is just like this in real life.  Wow.  And when I came home, I did the same flight in the sim to see more scenery.

Happy New Year everyone

9 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

11.  When you see the local airport's all red VASI lights off to the side of your car on the way home and think "I'm too low!"

These are good!  I was worried the other day when I found myself marveling at the "FPS" I was getting out of my (real) car's windshield! :)

I do both of these!  On final approach in a dense urban area I find I'm amazed at the smoothness, and how you can stuff as many building as you want near this complex airport and it will be just as smooth...

• 21. When you home is falling down around you and there a thousand other jobs that need attention, getting that perfect "V" shot just seems more important.
  • 22. you regularly do longhaul Realtime flights over blank ocean or in darkness for hours on end, land at destination then reset immediatly for the same return flight.
  • 23. you eat only airline snacks while waiting for the sim to load
  • 24. you end every conversation with "roger"
  • 25. the wife has packed her bags, the kids grew up and moved away totally unnoticed, but your sim room is immaculate, your computer has the latest hardware, Orbx goodies and aircraft, your happy and oblivious who needs anything more.
  • 26. Your dog is your co-pilot / best mate / sim buddy, alerting you to all outside influences.

(Tongue deeply inserted in cheek)

31 - You feel guilty when you make an aircraft go-around because you're landing too slow.

32 - The same feeling goes when taxiing to/from the runway you form a queue of planes behind you because you are still checking your instruments and other things. 

34. In real life you're always judging if the pilot did a good landing or takeoff saying you could have done things different or even better. 

35. When travelling to a new destination in real life you study all takeoffs, approaches, landings and runway numbers, simulate things in FS and then bore your wife to death with technical stuff in the actual flight. 

36. You think that in an emergency in real life you could jump into the pilot's seat and really land a 737/747/A330/A380 in Heathrow or Atlanta. "Is there a pilot onboard?" 

3 hours ago, RJ said:

31 - You feel guilty when you make an aircraft go-around because you're landing too slow.

32 - The same feeling goes when taxiing to/from the runway you form a queue of planes behind you because you are still checking your instruments and other things. 

LOL.

I do a lot of the things in these posts, and these two happen to me all the time.  I even speed up to stupid speeds or announce a go around sometimes so I won't get in the way.  If an AI aircraft waiting at the hold short line disappears because I take too long landing I feel really bad.

39. When you have purchased a new scenery, and a fellow user asks you to show some screenshots of it, you tell him: "I am still at home right now. I need to fly there first. It's gonna take a few hours"  (instead of loading the scenery upon FS startup directly).

40. If you use Active Sky Next without running the sim if someone asks you to check current and historic weather around the world.

Archived