Terrain Mesh

Miss Clairol

Hi Guys,

I hope this is the right area.  Just would like to ask a hopefully easy quick question.  What is the terrain mesh quality used in the FTX Regional packs?  Is it the same or similar to what is in FS Global 2010 X, or is the what is found in FS Global Ultimate.  I find the quality of the FTX Regional packs superb BTW.  Also, if one is using FS Global Ultimate, I think I read somewhere that the scenery will pick the best quality mesh, meaning, if something is done in 2010 mesh, it will use the Ultimate mesh if it's available, am I correct.  I don't have Ultimate yet, I am just curious, does it up the ante on the FTX regional packs? 

As always, thanks for any help and enlightenment you can provide, I appreciate everyone's time and expertise.

Ultimate does up the ante but there are caveats to Ultimate. It can cause raised airfields/airports despite Vector AEC. This does not bother me and is more previlent in Global rather than Regions. In regions I have been using 2mt as the mesh setting by default and not really had any issues. You can deactivate the built in Regions mesh and therefore only have Ultimate running, but those in the know do not recommend it. My logic is that if FSX/P3D is going to choose the best/higher mesh then it would probably not be using the Regions mesh anyway, except maybe in a particular location where the Region mesh is detailed to a higher spec. Anyway some advise against this, but I repeat I have not had problems to date.

Again possible raised airports are mostly observed by me outside of regions, in Global and OLC. I would go for it if you have the budget and get the complete package covering the globe. Shop around for best price.

Hi guys,

as far as the FTX Regions are concerned the terrain mesh they come with will generally be more accurate/detailed than any available third-party global add-on mesh. That's because the region mesh files are assembled from the best available public domain data and further refined to include local high-resolution data, fix errors, etc. Moreover, some regions, especially the European ones, contain licensed commercial or government data. 

Also, the point of including mesh files with regions in the first place is to have a stable terrain base to which all other components that rely on it -- airport and water flattens, bridges and other object placements, etc. -- can be tied without having to worry about compatibility issues with mesh product X or Y. Thus, deactivating or overriding the region mesh files is indeed not a good idea though the visual impact depends on the specific region and third-party replacement. 

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Gentlemen,

This really helps, I now understand the FTX Region packs better.  These are both the best answer, thank you both.   The question now is, do I really need Ultimate for the global

regions, as opposed to Global 2010 X.  Always the way when playing with add-ons!!!  Again, thanks you both so very much, I appreciate your responses.

M.C.

2 hours ago, Miss Clairol said:
47 minutes ago, Miss Clairol said:

The question now is, do I really need Ultimate for the global regions, as opposed to Global 2010 X.  

M.C.

Hi Miss

Ultimate is an upscale, newer version of G2010, made by the same company. You are supposed to get more details, a more accurate relief. More information means that the Ultimate is heavier, the world bundle being 100-odd Gb on your disk, 3 times Global. More expensive too. Both suffer from the same flaws (the infamous 15° longitude line in the Northern hemisphere for instance).

Would you see any difference ? Very difficult to say. A recent comparison I did with a fellow simmer didn't show much differences where we chose to compare. But this is a large world and there are places where I am sure the Ultimate is better. My own philosophy is that you've never enough of geographical exactitude so I have the Ultimate.

Thanks Holger for your detailed explanation regarding the in built regional mesh. I agree it is the preferred way and i do observe your recommendation almost always. My question is therefore do you have to deactivate Ultimate for NA if you fly in a NA region as would not Ultimate mesh come into play in a location within the region where Ultimate is of a higher value. There is also the question of the default mesh setting for a region. The manuals often state to set 10m or 5m as the mesh setting followed by "unless you have orbx airports". PNW for example has 5m for the Fire Towers Helipads & 2m if you have 7S3 Twin Oaks. My point being that if you have 7S3 you set mesh to 2m and fly the region, you don't just set 2m at 7S3 and then once you have left Twin Oaks, stop your flight and set 5m for flying the rest of the region. In this example having Ultimate active and the flight mesh setting at 2m, which mesh is being active in the flight, the in built or Ultimate? NCA states 5-10m and that 10m is the native resolution, but 5m for best terrain results and also if you have orbx payware airports installed. All abit confusing although explained well and understood it does ask the question why not just leave it at 5m even if you don't have any orbx airports, or 2m and suck it and see what happens.

A partial answer, as I understand it, is that each Full Region has its own mesh and whatever Global mesh you are using is unnecessary, and by implication, can be deactivated in the scenery library as long as you are flying within that Full Region, not that you must deactivate it, especially if you plan to fly out of the Full Region.

Hi guys,

5m terrain mesh resolution is the slider setting that all Orbx regions and airports are designed for. There was a bit of back and forth with earlier projects but I'm pretty sure that Twin Oaks was updated to work with that setting as well. That being said, using 10m or 2m are also unlikely to lead to any major display issues unless you look very closely. Since the slider setting governs the horizontal spacing of mesh grid points this value primarily affects the steepness of slopes adjacent to flattened areas at airports or lakes and rivers. If objects are placed on or next to such slopes they can shift a bit, which would be the most noticeable effect.

In short, no need to overthink this; set-and-forget at 5m and you'll be OK.

Cheers, Holger

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 10:06 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

In short, no need to overthink this; set-and-forget at 5m and you'll be OK.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

This is a very helpful post.

If the terrain mesh setting should be set to 5m within FSX scenery library, is there a corresponding value that texture resolution' should be set at in order for best results?  Or should it just be set to maximum of 7cm (if hardware will allow)?  Cheers,

Calum

Archived