ESSA, Stockholm-Arlanda Airport

Hey everyone!

We've got some exciting news.

Welcome to Stockholm! The capital of Sweden (or the capital of Scandinavia as they are trying to brand it)! Stockholm Arlanda Airport is the biggest airport in Sweden and the main international airport for Stockholm, transporting more than 22 million people a year. Located in between Uppsala and Stockholm it takes only half an hour to reach both cities. It's an exciting place and an important hub for Scandinavian Airlines and Norwegian. It also has an old 747 turned in to a hostel located close to the taxiway which I would say is quite unique. If you ever happen to go there in real life, don't miss out on the really nice bar/cafe/restaurant in the top of the Clarion hotel from where you will see huge parts of the airport and runway 1L/19R.

We are now at beta with our version of Arlanda which I hope you will be as excited about as we are. And by the way, if you would for some reason don't feel like/have time to do some flying when it's been released, we've also included the plane spotting hill at 19L (with spotters so you don't have to feel lonely). ;)

So current status is first beta, we'll keep you posted on the progress.btmGID9QUe7G8eX5650d137e7c38-2.thumb.jpgblQfIwCR0xNa8xz565192f220e45.thumb.jpg.8eBbmsHNss99wMuX5650d132d57d2.thumb.jpg.eILS3qE7d9Laei5d5650c33142a57.thumb.jpg.eJBgN2pGTJLOhtRU5650d13063365.thumb.jpg.cOgpQIY3Y37p3rzm5650d12e1ce85-2.thumb.jpgamSilWgFTlqdsA15650d14261a0d.thumb.jpg.8gsU32BHI572rIXO5650d13fb66e2.thumb.jpg.aurJeapt1ccd3TPf5650d10c3415f.thumb.jpg.cXF5aqtKPR8kxxBR5650d12908875.thumb.jpg.3RNIWc7ZLvQfgnId5650d10e299cb.thumb.jpg.3

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good. How about some snow on the apron during winter time? It looks quite "clean" for the cold season. Have a look at the following photo of a "typical" winter day at ESSA:

http://public.media.smithsonianmag.com/legacy_blog/Ramp.jpg

Even after snow clearing, there is usually some snow left:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgGBDapGNJA

4 hours ago, Voyager said:

Like Arlanda. Like the sound of "arlanda".
I see a majestic project: will be good flying Copenhagen-Oslo-Stockholm-Helsinki.

Wish success in this project!

Voyager

Btw, great shots these!

Yes it has a great touch the name doesn't it? funny thing is that before it became Arlanda there was a small airport there called Halmsjön (if the wikipedia is correct). (That is the small lake that you fly pass on 19L- final approaches). The old runway was well-knowned for being very bumpy. That runway is today the taxiway to runway 08-26.

Also funny fact is that they seemed to have a hard time deciding on name for the airport when it was decided to build a new big international airport for Stockholm, so they asked (for those of you that know swedish):

"För att hitta ett passande namn till flygplatsen utlyses en namntävling 1958 i tidningen Året Runt men istället för att föreslå något av de inlämnade förslagen framförde juryn förslaget Arlanda som var en modifiering av ortnamnsforskaren Lars Hellbergs ursprungliga förslag Arland."

So they held a naming competition in a magazine, but decided to refuse all sugestions and go for a tweaked version of the name "Arland" that a guy, that did research in "old town names" had proposed. 

Also one more minor fact is that if you come to Arlanda today you will also realize there is no Terminal 1. According to wikipedia one of the reasons for that might be that the much smaller city airport in Stockholm; Bromma, is internally referenced to as Terminal 1 ;)

Also, which might not be true either, but seems like the tower at Arlanda is 1 meter smaller than the tower at Oslo Gardermoen. 

Yes that was all I had for you today. Hope you enjoyed these small facts that I've read at Wikipedia and might be completetly wrong.

Interesting incident to look up is by the way "Gottröra", which was a MD-80 that crashed after departure and split in 3 parts and everyone survived. The pilot used the tree-tops to slow down the speed.

Oh my, now I've shared so many facts I'm not completely sure about, I'm ready to be corrected by people that has more knowledge about this ;)

3 minutes ago, Der Flieger said:

Love the screenshots!

One questions though, will the jetways be animated? SODE for example offers a great alternative to the default animations.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Currently there are no animated jetways. I know we all want those. I've heard great things about SODE but haven't had the time to investigate that enough.

More than in moving jetways (I only fly Props) I would love to see a next destination in Skåne to have a nice route to Arlanda 😊 There are flights from and to ESSA from my (fritidshus-) homebase ESMK (Kristianstad)and there is additionally a small GA flyingclub inside the airport aera... Perhaps there is a swedish developer who fall in love with that airport.... 😊?

5 hours ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

I thought ORBX didn't do large commercial airports, I guess that cover is blown.  :D

I just thought the same Bruce.

Honestly i am happy they now do cause all those GA airports didn't really made me happy cause i only fly airliners so i didn't bought even one of them.

EGHI was a great addition EGPB also and now this,

ABSOLUTLEY AMAZING. Thanks ORBX i really hope this is a change in strategy. Thumbs Up !!!!

On 23.11.2015, 15:34:53, Marcus Nyberg SE said:

Currently there are no animated jetways. I know we all want those. I've heard great things about SODE but haven't had the time to investigate that enough.

Thanks for your quick reply, Marcus. Maybe you'll implement SODE as an update at some point, I think animated jetways add a lot of realism at big airports where most aircraft park at a gate with jetways attached to them.

Looking forward to further screenshots! :)

On 23 november 2015 22:47:48, WebMaximus said:

Stunning Marcus and looking at the 4th screenshot from the bottom it's really spot on with the parking and the narrow path taking you up to the plane spotting hill with the small wooden shed...really, really nice done!! 

Ah, but will the spotting Hill be elevated for that extra touch of perfection :)

All kidding aside, this looks absolutely brilliant, a job very well done by the looks of it...

As I mentioned on the Facebook page, I will simply skip installing my Aerosoft rendition during my current re-installation, just to make sure there won't be any pesky compatability issues once I can get my hands on this one!!

Now hurry up with the beta-testing so I can enjoy flying from ESSA again ;)

The spotting hill IS elevated, it's quite awesome really, Philip did a great job with that. 

The Caravelle is not present though, I'm sad to say, so the view might differ a little bit.

I'll post some more previews tonight/tomorrow with the snow & some performance comparisons.

A bit hard to see looking at the screenshot but I think the hill already is a bit elevated but I'm sure Marcus can confirm if that's the case or not.

If the hill with the shed indeed is on the same level as the parking spot I hope that can be adjusted because otherwise it will look a bit odd and especially when you're used to what it looks like IRL. 

Good to hear, it was a tad difficult to see on the screenshot ;)

Is the parking lot elevated in relation to the runway and Halmsjön as well, or is that asking to much considering the limitations in FSX?

no, sorry. there are three levels,  below ground level for tunnels, then normal level and then we have elevated such as spotting hill. car parking is at normal level. however, there is a spotter sitting at one of the rocks at the car park, if you need to get a bit higher up than ground level you can probably sit down on the rock next to him. ;)

4 hours ago, Marcus Nyberg SE said:

no, sorry. there are three levels,  below ground level for tunnels, then normal level and then we have elevated such as spotting hill. car parking is at normal level. however, there is a spotter sitting at one of the rocks at the car park, if you need to get a bit higher up than ground level you can probably sit down on the rock next to him. ;)

Figured that, but to get the hill is definitely good enough for me..

As for the winter shots.... *picks up jaw from the floor*

4 hours ago, Marcus Nyberg SE said:

Figured that, but to get the hill is definitely good enough for me..

As for the winter shots.... *picks up jaw from the floor*

Archived