Disappearing ORBX folder? Read on ...

John Venema

29 minutes ago, pmb said:

Heaven forbid. You probably know the crowd of users on the FSDreamTeam forum complaining about missing airport buildings in FSDT/FB sceneries because of Antivirus interfering or whatever causes.

In my opinion, the ORBX/FSS protection is very well-thought and much more easy to use,

Kind regards, Michael

100% with Michael here, the mere idea to have to deal with their protection system has deterred me so far to buy their Hawaian packages ! OrbX system demands a minimum work from the user (to type 3 numbers at first install) and if they add a passive footprint transparent for the honest user I do not care.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, allan prewett said:

Just a quick NOOB question; this ORBX folder, what are you talking about?

Where is it, to see if its there/ not there?

Thanks

Allan

Hi Allan,

The Orbx folder is in your sims root older, don`t worry, if your sim is still working properly then the folder is still there.

cheers Reg.

1 hour ago, pmb said:

.....In my opinion, the ORBX/FSS protection is very well-thought and much more easy to use,......

I would like to see a much better protection of all ORBX products. There are many samples out there and it need not to be much difficult to use.

Spirit

5 hours ago, Argharg said:

Hi Doug;

To be clear; I have one PC ( the old one that I am planning to retire but not yet ) with FSX and lots of fully paid Orbx scenarios on it an no illegal ones. (almost of all them )

Just bougth a new PC and would like to "restart" on P3D v3. ( they stand side by side and share the same monitor )

Do I need to remove the old Orbx folder to be able to start install the P3D version on the new PC? that would be a shame.

Etienne

According to the EULA and the clarification by Mr. Venema yes, I believe the ORBX software should be removed from the old machine. The license is per computer and using the same files on two computers, even if they are side-by-side, would be a EULA violation.

Doug

16 minutes ago, Michael Copp said:

Chumley,

I agree, but just to clarify (as you quoted an earlier post that related to me), I've been given a three month support ban because I downloaded a torrent version of AU RED six years ago. I haven't had illegal Orbx software on my computer for years, and the latest folder deletion issues did not apply to my situation.

Michael

Just like the FBI, ORBX always gets their man.  Penance or fate, you choose.  I know a few of you have been clamoring over the whole issue of being banned, having your software removed, etc. but the bottom line is (and I believe John said this in not so many words), that if ORBX made an exception for just ONE person, then the whole premise of policing their software would be out the window.  No matter whether you are new or a vet of ORBX, it seems that it has been a long time coming for them to set things straight.  ORBX has lost a lot of money over the years and I'm sure John knows it.  While ORBX did not specify what started all of this (although I could venture a guess it had to do with a support ticket), what matters is that it's being taken care of.

I sympathize with you Michael, but only so far.  No one made you download the software illegally, that was your choice and for whatever reason you had at the time.  Just like guys in prison, you do your time, grin and bear it, get out and start anew.  We'll be here waiting on the other side of the fence.

-Jim

2 hours ago, dominique said:

100% with Michael here, the mere idea to have to deal with their protection system has deterred me so far to buy their Hawaian packages !

What protection system are you talking about?  The addon manager?  Couatl?  Neither are protection, just part of their software.  You buy something through the addon manager, and it activates itself.  Doesn't get much easier than that, installation wise.  Just wish the Couatl program wasn't so crash prone...  :D

Just now, Bruce Hamilton said:

What protection system are you talking about?  The addon manager?  Couatl?  Neither are protection, just part of their software.  You buy something through the addon manager, and it activates itself.  Doesn't get much easier than that, installation wise.  Just wish the Couatl program wasn't so crash prone...  :D

Bruce,

I believe that was the underlying point.  The Couatl engine is buggy, at least on my end.  I never appreciated the automatic changes it made to cfg files either.  If you weren't careful and observant, you'd find you sim running bad.  In any case, what ORBX no has in place should deter any further illegal transgressions.

-Jim

I don't know if this is 'off topic' but it's along the same lines. When FTX Central V2 came out my first thought was 'I bet that, during the 'Synch process' it was checking content with order numbers.' I didn't give any thought as to HOW that might be achieved though.

Nor did I care...;)

I think it all boils down to two things; (1) you are purchasing a license to use a software product and (2) The SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be re-distributed, sold for non-profit or profit from subscription fees, repackaged, delivered on CD or DVD media or any other form of electronic media by any other persons or party, website, organization or entity, other than the official e-commerce seller website(s) as contracted or authorised by ORBX.

So although you may have a valid license and are complaint with #1 above, if you download the software from a torrent site, for any reason, then you are in violation of #2 above and therefore you are in violation of the EULA. 

I understand some frustration with the FSS downloads as I have had issues with it before, but the rules are the rules.....

23 minutes ago, awreaper said:

So although you may have a valid license and are complaint with #1 above, if you download the software from a torrent site, for any reason, then you are in violation of #2 above and therefore you are in violation of the EULA.

Think of it as posting in the support section, and when prompted for an order number, you buy it from FSS and post that number.  Producing a valid number won't change the fact that you pirated it, you only came clean because you got caught with your pants down.

7 minutes ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

Think of it as posting in the support section, and when prompted for an order number, you buy it from FSS and post that number.  Producing a valid number won't change the fact that you pirated it, you only came clean because you got caught with your pants down.

That is true.  Buying the product after the fact is like trying to put the money that you stole back in the bank before the cops got there.  You still stole the money.  :D

Hi ORBX,

First of all: I never used and will never use pirated Software.

Second: Thank you that you are so honest to admit, that you scan my computer from time to time, and may be delete some files or folders and eventually ruin my OS. 

I must say, that I really don't like this. So I would like to ask you, to stop this practice. Until then  i will not install any ORBX Software. 

Nothing more to say

Regards

Peter

7 minutes ago, deep042 said:

Hi ORBX,

Second: Thank you that you are so honest to admit, that you scan my computer from time to time, and may be delete some files or folders and eventually ruin my OS. 

I must say, that I really don't like this. So I would like to ask you, to stop this practice. Until then  i will not install any ORBX Software. 

Nothing more to say

Regards

Peter

Firstly, let me assure you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that Orbxlibs installer and there's no need to be concerned about your ORBX folder disappearing if you have purchased legitimate licenses for all your Orbx products from day one.

12 minutes ago, deep042 said:

Hi ORBX,

Nothing more to say

Regards

Peter

They are not scanning your computer but the installed orbx products are authenticated between each other and if one of them is found to be not legit and fail authentication then you will have the problem.

10 minutes ago, deep042 said:

I talked to Orbx not to you. Or are you paid by Orbx? And please dont yell at me.

Sorry about the yelling, it was inappropriate and was moderated.

That said, where is your order #?

Ben

2 minutes ago, RHaas said:

They are not scanning your computer but the installed orbx products are authenticated between each other and if one of them is found to be not legit and fail authentication then you will have the problem.

John Venema wrote: Every now and again we release products (they can be Orbxlibs, regions, airports - these are random) where the installer checks for any evidence of past unauthorised Orbx products having been installed on your PC.

So to be effective this installer must at least the scenery.cfg and I argue there is more. And what about possible bugs in those "random" installers.

1 minute ago, deep042 said:

John Venema wrote: Every now and again we release products (they can be Orbxlibs, regions, airports - these are random) where the installer checks for any evidence of past unauthorised Orbx products having been installed on your PC.

So to be effective this installer must at least the scenery.cfg and I argue there is more. And what about possible bugs in those "random" installers.

Again,, it is not a scan of your computer, Its only related to the installed Orbx products. Your antivirus scans your computer including your registry but you have no problem with that? The orbx process is only checking that installed products are legit. I can only think of one reason why you could possibly be against that.

6 minutes ago, ftp2leta said:

Sorry about the yelling, it was inappropriate and was moderated.

That said, where is your order #?

Ben

Hi Ben,

It is my first day in this forum. So please excuse, that I did forget this.

But now, I just followed forum guidlines

>> Fill out your order number here, alternatively if you are not a customer yet fill out 'N/A' 

and entered N/A because I feel no longer as a customer of ORBX.

Regards

Peter

Thank god I live in Germany and EULAS are not legally binding at ALL if they're not accepted before a purchase :rolleyes: nevermind the very shakey legal ground when it comes to deleting things off of other peoples machines in this country

just my 2cts on the matter as this whole thing thankfully doesn't affect my install

10 minutes ago, RHaas said:

Again,, it is not a scan of your computer, Its only related to the installed Orbx products. Your antivirus scans your computer including your registry but you have no problem with that? The orbx process is only checking that installed products are legit.

I have nothing to say to this nonsense.

10 minutes ago, RHaas said:

I can only think of one reason why you could possibly be against that.

Please be careful.

Well so far I have read a bunch of comments from a bunch of people who have nothing to do with ORBX at all. General customers just like the rest of us. Everyone is quick to criticize and make theselves out to be an angel, everyone makes it seem like they have never done anything wrong before. That's just like the question that gets asked when you join the military " have you EVER done drugs before?". Now you could easily say no, but inside you know you were a kid and wanted to TRY things. Well for me I said yes cause the question specifically states have you "EVER" and I was that kid who tried some marijuana when I was 17, although its out of your sytem after 30 days and in my case it was 11 years prior to me joining. It was about honor, courage, and commitment.  No different here.  I stated my situation, no one has yet to comment on it so please have at it. I am all ears and standing by to see what you have to say.  There is nothing worse than a hypocrite who makes it out like there gods greatest thing since sliced bread. So you have not pirated or stolen anything from ORBX, well guess what neither did I. But can I help I have children who use the same gaming computer as me who did? I just love the ones who are "oh I have never done anything, I have never pirated anything, I hate pirates etc" but they are not talking about the 100+ aircraft they pirated or scenery from other groups or companies. Just cause you have not stolen from ORBX doesn't mean you don't do it from others who just have not caught you yet.  Please understand I AM NOT talking about everyone in here but there's a couple I would bet.  Anyway, for me, my story is plain and simple and told it like it was. I DON'T agree with pirating licensed payware addons and as such I have disciplined my kids, they will no longer have profiles or be simming on my gaming system. But there are many examples given in here where torrents are useful but again this is not saying I agree with stealing licensed payware products.  So I will be waiting to see what JV and ORBX decides as my fate, however, for the rest who want to make comments, who think they know me or want to attempt to judge me as a person when you have absolutely NO IDEA what I have done or contributed to the sim community I will be waiting.

I am also afraid. I do not like FSS installers as they unwrap and copy whole installer to system temp folder which take lot of time and wastes my SSD due to unwantend writes (depends on installer but we talk about GBs of written data), but ok...

When installer is unwraped I take it and copy to my backup folder for next instalation then I search registry for FSS entry for that installer and backup that registry entry.

After PC reinstal I take and run unwraped installer (which is same as torrent ones) and if registry entries are needed, then I import exported registry.

I'm pretty sure that I'm 100% legal for law of my country even installers are downloaded from any source or even go aroud any copy protection as our law offers make copy which will install functional software. But I have to be carefull if some new ORBX products can wipe my whole ORBX folder.

I think that ereasing whole ORBX folder is not good idea, but as I'm legal user I do not know how it works, but I can imagine that I store anything under my ORBX folder not relevant to ORBX. Deleting these things may already be seen as a violation of the law.

I fully support ORBX with protection of their IP, but I'm not fan of used way. Ok I can backup whole ORBX folder before installing something new from ORBX, but it is not user friendly. Even JV says that ORBX are not amateurs, but as software developer myself I know that mistakes happen to profesionals too.

34 minutes ago, Jiri Kocman said:

I am also afraid. I do not like FSS installers as they unwrap and copy whole installer to system temp folder which take lot of time and wastes my SSD due to unwantend writes (depends on installer but we talk about GBs of written data), but ok...

I solved the Windows Temp file SDD problem by moving the Temp file to one of the HDD's. See this for how to do it: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/change-location-of-temp-files-folder-to-another/19f13330-dde1-404c-aa27-a76c0b450818?auth=1 .

Doug

1 minute ago, Triplane said:

Thanks Dough I know that I can change temp folder location, but for typical use I'm fine with my location and even that I want my temp on SSD disk, but there is no reason for that many writes which FSS wrapped installer do.

FSS Installer makes new exe file, and .01 file, ok, there is some protection on wrapped installer, but rest files are 1:1 copied to temp. I think that best will be make unwraped files into folder with wrapped version, so there is no need to copy files.

7 minutes ago, Jiri Kocman said:

Thanks Dough I know that I can change temp folder location, but for typical use I'm fine with my location and even that I want my temp on SSD disk, but there is no reason for that many writes which FSS wrapped installer do.

FSS Installer makes new exe file, and .01 file, ok, there is some protection on wrapped installer, but rest files are 1:1 copied to temp. I think that best will be make unwraped files into folder with wrapped version, so there is no need to copy files.

That's what I do also. Save the unwrapped .exe file with the original wrapped .exe and the other data files. Makes a reinstall go much faster as there is no need for the Temp file writes.

Doug

2 hours ago, deep042 said:

It does not check the scenery.cfg. The installer is highly targeted to specific registry entries created by cracked installers, and no legitimate installers. The only way to trigger deletion is for these entries to be present, and the only way to have the entries is to use a pirated installer or for some unknown reason manually enter the entries yourself.

Do not try and plead cases here. It will not work. We are highly confident in the ability of the installer to detect pirated software and leave legitimate users alone. So far no user has come forward that has shown a legitimate case of a false flag. 

Archived